Dads latest DIY project

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
He's taking down a wall in the house between the lounge and the dining room so we have an open plan lounge.

I said to him "Sounds like a big job". He said, "Not really it's just a partition wall".

He's going to start it today and if I don't help him I'll update this thread with pictures. (y)

FadingLikeDecay

He's correct, assuming it is just a non-loadbearing partition...
Depending on the age of the house, its likely a just timber stud wall with a sheet of plasterboard either side.
The only hassle you ever get are concealed electric cables or heating pipework.
Safest approach is to fully remove the plasterboard one side to see if there are any services, and then you can introduce a circular or reciprocating saw to speed up the rest of the downtaking.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fairly new build house, 90s I think, with thin walls. Not that I'd know what to do, but I assume it is as you say, just timber and plasterboard with no sockets or radiators or anything on it. He will know what to do... I hope. :LOL: As I wouldn't have a clue, so it's all a bit interesting to me.

I asked him whose idea it was and he said my mothers. Just a case of knocking it down I suppose. Then he has to block off a door that used to lead to the dining room from the hallway that will no longer be needed.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
He's just got back from ScrewFix with and Erbauer Multi Tool, apparently no pipework but the frame is metal so he needed that.

FadingLikeDecay

He's just got back from ScrewFix with and Erbauer Multi Tool, apparently no pipework but the frame is metal so he needed that.
I presume you mean its a metal stud partition and has components that look like this and not a Metsec cold-rolled stud?
british-gypsum-gypframe-c-stud-70-s-50.jpg

No need for a multi-tool for that job (specifically), metal snips do the job just fine as would be used when building the wall:
Framing-with-metal-studs-8811.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm not sure, he's just taking the skirting off at the moment with the tool, will post some pics as it progresses. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pretty much. :LOL: I'm betting he's wondering where all the questions I'm asking him about what he's doing are coming from as he doesn't know I'm posting about it on here.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
He's using the tool to try to cut off big sheets of the plasterboard so he can reuse it to block off the door so he doesn't have to buy anymore.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I presume you mean its a metal stud partition and has components that look like this and not a Metsec cold-rolled stud?
british-gypsum-gypframe-c-stud-70-s-50.jpg

No need for a multi-tool for that job (specifically), metal snips do the job just fine as would be used when building the wall:
Framing-with-metal-studs-8811.jpg
I went on a week course at Carlisle about 30 years ago to learn how to use that stuff.
And to crimp angle around steel girders to double fire board it.

FadingLikeDecay

He's using the tool to try to cut off big sheets of the plasterboard so he can reuse it to block off the door so he doesn't have to buy anymore.
I don't fancy his success if the plasterboard is secured with drywall screws and you've got the wall finish and joint filler obscuring their location preventing their removal (small possibility of it being fixed by nails as it is in my 1970's house). Either way its likely to not go well and would need a ton of filling.
Plasterboard is roughly £8 for a sheet of 2.4m(h) x 1.2m(w) x 12.5mm, chances are he'll need to buy 2 sheets for the door opening if it ends coming off in a mess.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I just asked him how it was getting on and he said too many screws, nothing like trying to scrimp and save though. :LOL:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm surprised he even bought a tool but he said it was a christmas present to himself and he seems to collect them.