Dab of superglue on hooklengths..bad idea?

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I was just tying up some hooklengths last night and thought about putting a dab on superglue on the whipping. Is this a bad idea i.e. would the glue affect the nylon? Just a random thought. Jonny

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Well the knots are good and fine, I use one of those matchman hooktyers, ...been tying some fine hooklengths 0.07/0.08 etc to size 22 etc. My flytying gear was lying in front of me on the workbench (which includes UV resin and superglue etc) and I just thought a bit of extra insurance maybe? Just a random thought really and I wondered if people do it.

Total

Site Supporter
I use a similar hooktyer Jonny and in over 55 years of hook tying have never felt the need for any 'extra insurance', even when tying really light hook lengths.....Rely on your technique and have confidence in what you do....;)(y)

squimp

Site Supporter
If you do some testing it will be interesting to see the results.

Consider using a bucket or similar and simply adding weight until the line breaks - that way you don’t break the scales !

I put superglue on some knots in braid (improved Albrights and biminis) and it doesn’t do any harm…..

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Many years ago when I first investigated the knotless knot I saw a video where superglue was used. Tried it and pretty quickly realised it isn't needed.

I tie 24s to 0.06 with a Matchman with no issues.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Never needed to use superglue whether tying 24's to 0.06 by hand or connecting PE8 braid to a 170lb mono leader with a hand tied FG knot.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
years ago, there was a fad about using superglue to coat the knot connecting a 50/60lb sea angling leader to the 18lb mainline, back in the days before tapered leaders came in

dunno wether it made any difference, I never tried

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not glue but lacquer / varnish. We used to lacquer the whipping when tying round bend hooks for caster fishing many years ago.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ Why???....Thank you....(y)
A coating over the whipping made it smooth so it was easier to push inside a caster without busting it. That was the theory anyway. I’m frantically trying to remember the Mustad hook we used to use for you Mark but, the old grey matter is away for a few days 🙄🤣🤣

Deejay8

Site Supporter
As a model maker, I know that Cyanoacrylate glue like Superglue, is severely weakened by long term exposure to water. So it probably won't make much difference to the knot strength, and there would possibly be some residue leaking from the knot onto the bait.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
That's jogged the old memory banks - dubbed hooks. I remember reading an article about them many moons ago. Lighter than a normal spade end apparently, although if it was it can't have been by much ! Interestingly I distinctly remember that a cyanoacrylate glue was specifically mentioned. This was before superglue was readily available.

Don’tTellEmYourName

Agreed. ~There's always room for improvement. I've just identified a gap in my armoury of rods for close range work both on float and feeder (don't tell the missus)

years ago, there was a fad about using superglue to coat the knot connecting a 50/60lb sea angling leader to the 18lb mainline, back in the days before tapered leaders came in

dunno wether it made any difference, I never tried
Could have been to smooth the knot as it flies off the multiplier reel when casting. Helps avoid cutting your thumb which is controlling the spool to avoid over runs. Like you never tried it.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
Are you losing fish and reeling in a pigs tail? Yes, try super glue. No, dont bother. 👍