Cycling shoes or clown shoes ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Definitely no need to 'move mouse over to zoom or click to enlarge picture.' :)

TrickyD

Site Supporter

Somersetlad

They're for spin class in a gym , I did ask him if he needed them to clip on the pedals, possibly best to get him to buy them.
Then he doesn't need cycling shoes, tell him to save the money on the gym and buy a proper bike and a load of lycra. I'll never understand why people have to pay good money to a gym, to do what outside is FREE.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Then he doesn't need cycling shoes, tell him to save the money on the gym and buy a proper bike and a load of lycra. I'll never understand why people have to pay good money to a gym, to do what outside is FREE.
It's safer in the gym.

richc

If you're anywhere near a sportsdirect store, their Muddy fox range are cheap and do the job. Most gym spin bikes have two sided pedals - one side a traditional cage, the other spd cleats for cycling shoes. Indoor cycling is massive at the moment, you've got the Peloton online spin option for individuals who like to have a instructor lead session. You also have the "Zwift" type solution for "proper" cyclists who mount their road or mountain bike on a static "smart" trainer which links to the internet which ( according to the route ) applies resistance just like riding on the road. You can train or even race against others around the world. It's great for winter training especially when raining, simply hop on the bike and "enjoy" a hour or two in the comfort of your own home. Loads of the pro cyclists now use Zwift, their team coaches can devise training sessions, send it to them, then watch or monitor the results - Power output, heartrate etc.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
They look like old football boots.

What kind of cleats is your boy thinking of? If its his first pair I would advise mountain bike cleats as they are much easier to get along with

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
If you're anywhere near a sportsdirect store, their Muddy fox range are cheap and do the job. Most gym spin bikes have two sided pedals - one side a traditional cage, the other spd cleats for cycling shoes. Indoor cycling is massive at the moment, you've got the Peloton online spin option for individuals who like to have a instructor lead session. You also have the "Zwift" type solution for "proper" cyclists who mount their road or mountain bike on a static "smart" trainer which links to the internet which ( according to the route ) applies resistance just like riding on the road. You can train or even race against others around the world. It's great for winter training especially when raining, simply hop on the bike and "enjoy" a hour or two in the comfort of your own home. Loads of the pro cyclists now use Zwift, their team coaches can devise training sessions, send it to them, then watch or monitor the results - Power output, heartrate etc.

My first pair of cycling shoes were Muddy fox from SD and they were ok until I ripped the part the cleat attaches to through the bottom of the shoe, It was still attached to the shoe and I couldn't get my foot out so I crashed, obviously if you are indoor this isn't a problem but they are not a shoes I will ever use again

TrickyD

Site Supporter
They look like old football boots.

What kind of cleats is your boy thinking of? If its his first pair I would advise mountain bike cleats as they are much easier to get along with
No idea about cleats, all I recall from my youth are toe clips, never used them myself, just knew some keen cyclists at school. I will tell him to have a look at Sportsdirect/Halfords/local bike shop, as he will have a better idea of the type needed. The ones in the picture just look comical.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Not for me. BOA fasteners for me. Wouldn’t use laces, if they come undone and go into the chain ring there’s an accident waiting to happen