Cycleways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick

'eyebrows'
I have been driving for 43 years in that time i have paid for road tax, petrol tax, VAT on petrol tax, tax on insurance, car purchase tax. I have no problem paying all this, on the basis that it goes to provide and maintain thr roads that I drive on. What narks me now is the proliferation of cycle tracks taking up a good proportion of the roads in towns causing further restrictions and traffic jams. Its about time these potty wearing licra clad leeches who ignore traffic lights and general rules of the road were banned or made to pay a punitave tax like the motorist.

Whats that yellow and black flyin thing in my bonnet [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
So what are you saying???????
Stop beating round the bush and get it off your chest.[:D][:D][:D][;)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I wouldnt mind so much if they were used by cyclists!!!!!! But no They still insist on using the footpaths.

chill out go fishing

mike s

A piece of black Tarmac & a piece of red Tarmac are having a quiet drink in a pub when a piece of green Tarmac comes in & starts being abusive. The black Tarmac is going to sort him out but the red Tarmac says "I wouldn't mess with him he's a Cyclepath"[:p][:eek:)]

Cumbria Angling Centre

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
What is the rule Slick - do you have to pay a fine over there if you squish a cyclists? [xx(]

We are paid a $25 bounty but you have to bring in a body part and a cycle part to prove it was a cyclists and not just a random pedestrian. [:p]

Newt Vail

Lid

Right .... I come from a cycling town (Oxford) and cycled most of my life. I used to cycle over 3 miles to school on the main roads (not the pavement) from the age of 11. Many people who work in Oxford in all sorts of jobs cycle every day and don't wear lycra. And of course the students, which continue the fantastic heritage and tradition of this beautiful city also cycle. My mother, who is 66, does not drive and still relies on her bicycle as her main mode of transport, as did her mother before her.

It is a pollution free, healthy method of transport. Many people who cycle own cars and so already pay road tax, the rest either pay tax through their income, or will being paying tax when they are older. When I cycled as a child my parents paid taxes.

My point is that we shouldn't knock (no pun intended) cyclists. No, the problem lies squarely with the town planners who won't come up with solutions to suit both the cyclists and the motorists.

When I moved to Welwyn Garden City, I found it much more dangerous to cycle round here. Vehicle drivers just don't seem to understand how to treat cyclists and the roads are rather narrow. This is why many cyclist feel driven onto the pavement, which although illegal, the police normally turn a blind eye to. Personally I don't agree with cycling on the pavement unless you are a young child, so my solution was to unfortunately stop cycling round here.

Lid [:)]

TINY

Tiny
The only time cyclists have ever wound me up,[:(!]is when they ride their bikes down the towpath and flatten your kit[:(]

Andy.

Beebs

The thing that p***es me off is the cyclists around my way have a perfectly good cycle path alongside the main road and STILL choose to cycle on the road, slowing up people who actually pay to use those roads. What do they think the path is for??????

If I'm not careful, I'm going to get a reputation as being a right Victor Meldrew!!

Lid

What about people riding horses on the roads then? They don't pay separate road tax.

Lid [:)]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by TINY

The only time cyclists have ever wound me up,[:(!]is when they ride their bikes down the towpath and flatten your kit[:(]

Andy.

if that happens Andy just ask to see their licence mate.

Its law that you have to have a licence to cycle along a towpath, if they haven't got one then they're breaking the law, if they have got one it MUST be displayed at all times when cycling on a towpath.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

TINY

Tiny
Al...do you seriously believe that if that happened to any of my kit[}:)]there would really be time for them to display anything other than their bums disappearing under the water[:D]

Andy.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by Lid

What about people riding horses on the roads then? They don't pay separate road tax.
But they do leave free fertilizer so it evens out.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.