CUSTOM SEATBOX SEATS

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some sad news announced by @Leepic today on his Facebook page. :(

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!

Hi guys, due to the cost of materials going up and the cost of living increasing I'm struggling to make a living making seats. With materials taking longer and longer to turn up etc it pushes my orders further and further back, some of you understand the situation but some of you don't. I've really enjoyed making seats for you guys over the years and I've made a lot of friends doing it. I couldn't justify putting my prices up any further so I've decided whatever orders I've got at the end of this year i will get done and sent out.

I will not be taking any more orders next year. These past couple of years have been very difficult and stressful, constant texts asking 'is my seat ready?' Etc etc. I've recently sat down and worked out my material cost etc and I'm actually making seats for free due to the increase in costs. These past 2 years have been a struggle financially and i just cant carry on.
Anyone wanting to order a seat can but at the end of December i will be closing my books.

To the customers that have a seat on order please don't worry as i will get it done and sent out. Please bare with me as i am on my own and some seats take longer than others.
I would just like to thank everyone who has supported me over the years.
One day i may be back if i become financially stable. My family comes first. Thank you.
1f44d.png

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
That is really sad news as Lee is a really nice chap. He is also a true craftsman. His seats are fantastic quality and nothing is ever too much trouble. If you read this @Leepic I wish you all the best for the future. If I were you I would put the price up and thus shorten your order book. Just do as many as you are happy with each month. If you are giving it up for all together I can understand that decision and would just like to thank you again for my beautiful seat and backrest. I really appreciate them.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sad news but the right decision at the end of the day.

JLK

Brexit strikes again maybe?
Such a shame if that's a contributing factor.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
More likely than not the pandemic which has hit most supplies of materials globally ramping up costs in production and shipping.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
One would have to ask whether the prices are too cheap? A replacement genuine Rive seat is anything from £160-£260 for a standard seat dependant on the model.

Now you wouldn't expect to buy a decent bespoke suit for the price of an off the peg suit, so why should a bespoke seat in your own choice of material with one off embroidery cost less than a standard one?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem is finding the right price that the market is willing to pay, in order to make it worthwhile.
You can be really busy because your price is acceptable by those that want to buy, or you can be really quiet by charging the 'right' price in order to make a living and cover your costs, but not what people are prepared to pay.
And then there's always someone who starts up and decides to undercut everyone else to get a foothold in the market.

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
As someone who is self employed, I can understand the pressures of running a business and family must come first. I ordered my seat only last week and as much as I’m looking forward to receiving it, there’s really no rush… more important things in life to worry about.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
A further update from @Leepic today on his Facebook page

UPDATE !!!

Hi guys,Many of you are aware since my last post ive been thinking about calling it a day with the seats.

I've gone through my books and looked at everything. Cost of materials etc etc. After calculating costs and what I actually charge per seat I'm very much out of pocket. This in turn would eventually come to the point were i could no longer carry on at these prices. That time has most definitely arrived!!!

Due to cost of materials increasing, import fees, the cost of electric, gas. The cost of living in general has gone up considerably. For me to carry on with the seats I'm going to have to increase prices quite a bit. Ive decided I'm going to carry on until March next year at the new price and then look at figures/orders again, if the price has put people off and I'm not getting the orders I need to survive then i will call it a day.

If you're interested in a seat and want one making then please feel free to contact me for a price. I know some of you will see the price and say 'I'm not paying that!' that's your choice but in turn I'm not making it for any less.
1f44d.png

Hope you guys understand.
Thank you.
1f44d.png

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I got my replacement seat from Seatbox UK, If I'm honest I don't know if this is Lee's work or not but I was very happy with it and was very reasonable.

My first comment would be to ask why so many mainstream seatbox suppliers are making such c**p seats, mine lasted less than a year and it was (effectively) designed to fail. I know i'm not a small lad at 16 1/2 stone but I would suggest the very thin metal plate was always going to deform and foul the shallow draw opening even from a relatively light guy

Have used my new seat for several months now and its like a totally different box so very happy.

new seat.jpeg

But the real issue here is reality. I know we don't want to spend more than we have to but I would rather have the option to spend the money for quality kit against having no option at all. No one can be a "busy fool", I face the same challenges in my business and finding a balance is very tough but if these guys are not here at all then options are very limited or only one provider exists and price becomes whatever the vendor likes given he has an open playing field. As such I hope Lee can find a way to operate a level that fulfils him and keeps the market alive for us. Good luck fella

84fisherman

Andy HLAC
Account Locked
The designs on some of the top seats are class! a lot of work put into these. You can tell!

Total

Site Supporter
I got my replacement seat from Seatbox UK, If I'm honest I don't know if this is Lee's work or not but I was very happy with it and was very reasonable.

My first comment would be to ask why so many mainstream seatbox suppliers are making such c**p seats, mine lasted less than a year and it was (effectively) designed to fail. I know i'm not a small lad at 16 1/2 stone but I would suggest the very thin metal plate was always going to deform and foul the shallow draw opening even from a relatively light guy

Have used my new seat for several months now and its like a totally different box so very happy.

new seat.jpeg

But the real issue here is reality. I know we don't want to spend more than we have to but I would rather have the option to spend the money for quality kit against having no option at all. No one can be a "busy fool", I face the same challenges in my business and finding a balance is very tough but if these guys are not here at all then options are very limited or only one provider exists and price becomes whatever the vendor likes given he has an open playing field. As such I hope Lee can find a way to operate a level that fulfils him and keeps the market alive for us. Good luck fella
^^ Normal flyer Roy?:whistle::p:ROFLMAO:......Happy New Year Fella....Be safe....;)(y)