Cupping kit or pole pots ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have a pole pending - when lockdown ceases and I can collect it - so I've been thinking about ancillaries.

When I last had a pole, over 15yrs ago, I fed with groundbait balls or catapult bit I understand now the importance of pinpoint feeding for successful pole sessions.

Should I be saving up for a cupping kit (universal or same make) or will the cheaper option of a set of pole pots do the same job or are they intended for entirely different purposes?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
A pole pot is useful for feeding-dribbling baits in, when you dont want so much or want a trickle feed

with a cupping kit, you can feed bulk baits when using it, such as groundbaits, pellets, normally theres three sizes in a set , to use as and when required

smiffy

Site Supporter
You want a cupping kit really. A lot of times you’ll use both types on the same line.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I have a pole pending - when lockdown ceases and I can collect it - so I've been thinking about ancillaries.

When I last had a pole, over 15yrs ago, I fed with groundbait balls or catapult bit I understand now the importance of pinpoint feeding for successful pole sessions.

Should I be saving up for a cupping kit (universal or same make) or will the cheaper option of a set of pole pots do the same job or are they intended for entirely different purposes?
Both ,i like the softer pole pots ,preston do some good ones ,pole cup for heavier feeding when its warmer

baggy

Mark Saunders
Both have a place in your armoury, it’s not about how much you want to feed it’s about frequently

rudd

Site Supporter
Cupping kit - good for groundbait, liquids, bulk or chopped worm.
Always keep smallest cup on tbh tp try to prevent over feeding.
Pole pot, can be shipped out attached on pole as well as rig.
Good for feeding smaller baits either dumped or trickled.
Can feed a line on way out then fish another line straight away.

Still need catapults, drennan do a nice couple Pole Line Catapults | Drennan International

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Cupping kit - good for groundbait, liquids, bulk or chopped worm.
Always keep smallest cup on tbh tp try to prevent over feeding.
Pole pot, can be shipped out attached on pole as well as rig.
Good for feeding smaller baits either dumped or trickled.
Can feed a line on way out then fish another line straight away.

Still need catapults, drennan do a nice couple Pole Line Catapults | Drennan International

Appreciate the catapult recommendation (y)

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Toss pot, cupping kit, catty, all have a use mate. Universal cupping kit should only set you back £30 or so.

Carp attack

Use both,, winter an summer,, all depending on how the fish are feeding,,
Pole pots ideal for tapping small amount of bait setting a trap for 1 fish catch an repeat,, cupping kit as been said can feed a large amount of bait on a line quick,,

Carp attack

Really, I reckon I use a cupping kit more in winter, as I feed with a catapult in the summer, use a lot more GB in the winter.
Maesknoll,, I had a absolute nightmare with foul hookers using a catty last couple of summers on pole line long,, fish seemed to go scatty/crazy! Just could not get them lined up,, deck, mid depth, shalla, ultra shalla, foul hook city, but found feeding a large volume of bait ( large toss pot ) an fishing it out an then re feeding so much more preductive,, strange this fishing lark 👍

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Maesknoll,, I had a absolute nightmare with foul hookers using a catty last couple of summers on pole line long,, fish seemed to go scatty/crazy! Just could not get them lined up,, deck, mid depth, shalla, ultra shalla, foul hook city, but found feeding a large volume of bait ( large toss pot ) an fishing it out an then re feeding so much more preductive,, strange this fishing lark 👍
Thats what determines whether you take a brown packet home or not ,if you get everything else right then you have to work out feeding rates.

Carp attack

Thats what determines whether you take a brown packet home or not ,if you get everything else right then you have to work out feeding rates.
Exactly,,, it cost me at the start but once I found out what was going on and adjusted the feeding it seemed to sort it,, dont get me wrong still got odd fouler ( landed a few, bonus! 😁 ) also having a heavy rig an sometimes going well over depth helped massively, this is fishing for carp,,
Same as fishing waggler an carp are swirling for pellets chuck waggler not a sniff, there still there tho! Nothing! Chuck a small bomb an tips round! Crazy 😂

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Same as fishing waggler an carp are swirling for pellets chuck waggler not a sniff, there still there tho! Nothing! Chuck a small bomb an tips round! Crazy 😂
That’s really interesting - would never have considered doing that

Carp attack

That’s really interesting - would never have considered doing that
Yeah its amazing to see in summer all these carp swirling for the pellets on a waggler line but cant get a sniff, drop a light bomb over an whack tips round an 100lb later nets filled with carp, 😂

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
consider getting an extendable cupping kit such as the garbolino. It means you can adjust the length to match the top kit you are using and with the current fashion of shorter 1.8m kits you can find quite a difference somedays.

they are not cheap but are robust so will last many seasons so the cost per year is not so high in reality.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Yeah its amazing to see in summer all these carp swirling for the pellets on a waggler line but cant get a sniff, drop a light bomb over an whack tips round an 100lb later nets filled with carp, 😂
Is that with the same pellet on the hook or would you switch to a wafter?

Long hook length or short?