Cupping kit - help needed!

Ringe

Site Supporter
I've inherited a cupping kit (Daiwa) and cut it back to match the lengths of my top kits - trouble is, the diameter at the tip is too large for either the Guru rapid release or Preston Kup set (both 4mm and 5mm) to fit. My rough measuring (against a ruler) has the outside diameter at roughly 6mm or so - has anyone else had the same issue, or any suggestions, or know what size the Daiwa 'Zoom' adapter is?

Ringe

Site Supporter
No. 1 would go right through it Dave - length also needs to stay as it is now, to equal my top kits.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you can telescope an old no2 into it then, assuming there is enough overlap, cut back your cupping kit some more and then cut the telescoped no2 so you get the overall length required

Ringe

Site Supporter
Cheers Dave - I don't have an old no. 2 - I've cut back the off-cut from the cupping kit, such that the Preston adapter now fits. Trouble is, when I telescope this through, it is roughly 12" longer than required, with only max. 6" of 'telescope' inside the pole - so not enough, were I to cut back further. I'm guessing that might have been obvious before I tried it !?!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
From my Beginner's Guide to Pole Fishing

Fitting a Pole Cup

When you buy a pole cup system it will come with two or three cups and one or two ferrules. The two ferrules will have different internal diameters into which the tip of the topkit will be glued. You will need to choose the one that will fit your cupping kit at roughly the right length but not shorter than the elasticated topkits. A bit of a guess but it should be the narrower bore ferrule that you will need.

By offering the ferrule up to the number one section of the cupping kit you will be able to work out roughly where the ferrule will fit on the tip. I would mark the tip in some way and check that the cupping kit is going to be at least as long as the topkits when mounted on the number four section. If it isn't then you may need to cut your topkits to match the cupping kit.

Cut a few inches above the mark and try the ferrule for fit. You will be gluing the ferrule in place so a snug but not necessarily tight fit is required. If you need to cut some more off the tip to get the right fit do so in one inch stages.

DO NOT GLUE THE FERRULE IN PLACE YET

If the cupping kit with ferrule in place will be longer than your topkits by more than four to five inches you will want to shorten it. If a lot longer then you may need to use the ferrule with the wider fitting.

To shorten the cupping kit by a few inches you cut and telescope the number one section. Cut the section at a point halfway along its length. Tidy up the cut and telescope the two halves together. This should reduce the length by around four inches. If the cupping kit is still too long then repeat the process at the three quarters and quarter point until the kit is the right length.

One benefit of this telescoping method of shortening is that it will stiffen the cupping kit so it won't bend as much when shipping out with a full cup.

Once you are happy that the assembled cupping kit is the right length then glue the ferrule in place using an epoxy glue. Most cupping kits are take apart but if the cupping kit is telescopic then please ensure it is telescoped before gluing the ferrule in place.