Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's the biggest gripe - reliability

If you say you're going to be there, be there
If you can't make it say so
If your start time is <time> turn up on time Being on time = 10 minutes early
Get yourself a bag with your own PPE in, a decent HiViz bomber jacket, and a sturdy pair of waterproof boots, preferably steel toes capped and nail resistant soles.

Once you get the work and do the above, people will phone you because you become dependable. They won't phone the guy that let's them down.
Same with money, a good labourer is worth his weight, you'll get more for being good at what you do.

Good luck
A quick edit!!!!!

I had one job where I had to pick people up for work. They had their instructions and times I would pick them up and if they were not ready they were left behind. They had a week to get used to the schedule, one person did not last the first week, whenever I pulled outside his house his mother said he was just getting up and would be about 5 - 10 minutes.

I was always at work 10 minutes before start time, always had coffee before I started. I dislike being late.

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Did you learn to sweep up after you retired Mick?:oops:;)
Part of my apprenticeship was with my grandad Mark. I learnt to sweep up at a very early age. I also learnt what a thump in my ear felt like when I didn’t. It took the best part of seven years to become an engineer. My grandad never saw me get all my qualifications unfortunately. Sad that. I know he would have been proud of me.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A quick edit!!!!!

I had one job where I had to pick people up for work. They had their instructions and times I would pick them up and if they were not ready they were left behind. They had a week to get used to the schedule, one person did not last the first week, whenever I pulled outside his house his mother said he was just getting up and would be about 5 - 10 minutes.

I was always at work 10 minutes before start time, always had coffee before I started. I dislike being late.
Respect. My pet hate. Anyone turns up late to do me a job and they are told to do one. I don’t tolerate lateness.

Total

Site Supporter
Part of my apprenticeship was with my grandad Mark. I learnt to sweep up at a very early age. I also learnt what a thump in my ear felt like when I didn’t. It took the best part of seven years to become an engineer. My grandad never saw me get all my qualifications unfortunately. Sad that. I know he would have been proud of me.

I remembered my EITB Chief instructor telling us...."You don't know anything about Mechanical/Electrical Engineering until you've spent 10 years in the trade....".....How very true that was....He was a great teacher and a man I respected.....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I remembered my EITB Chief instructor telling us...."You don't know anything about Mechanical/Electrical Engineering until you've spent 10 years in the trade....".....How very true that was....He was a great teacher and a man I respected.....
Two days after I’d received my diploma I went back to my college to thank my head tutor. He said .... “ Well done, now you start learning “. He wasn’t wrong.

Arch

Site Supporter
I did my apprenticeship with a very good sparky, and due to that we got all the better work.

He'd have me stand next to him and hold his out his hand and woe betide if I got the item wrong he wanted next. Ceiling rose, first screw (Slotted in them days) screwdriver, Second screw, Cutters, Green sleeving. Terminal driver. Pendant. He taught me well.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I did my apprenticeship with a very good sparky, and due to that we got all the better work.

He'd have me stand next to him and hold his out his hand and woe betide if I got the item wrong he wanted next. Ceiling rose, first screw (Slotted in them days) screwdriver, Second screw, Cutters, Green sleeving. Terminal driver. Pendant. He taught me well.
Slotted screws. Don’t remind me. I had to get them both horizontal on a switch or a socket or my grandad would have something to say. Same with cable clips. All 9” apart and all in line with the nail underneath. Tough teacher my grandad. ?

Arch

Site Supporter
I have mine vertical. And the nails underneath as well.

Used to use a Stanley "Yankee" screwdriver back in the day. Pushed that through a few ceilings when it slipped of the screw head. Oops!!

Total

Site Supporter
Two days after I’d received my diploma I went back to my college to thank my head tutor. He said .... “ Well done, now you start learning “. He wasn’t wrong.

I was summoned up by one of our directors (via his PA) to go to his office to receive my indentures after completing my apprenticeship...During his spiel his phone went off and he proceeded to take the call and waved me away.....:ROFLMAO:....I walked out of his office and returned to my workshop....His face dropped as if to say "WTF".....He never was disrespectable to me again....I never gave him the chance....;):)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
You could get your COSHH card for free and Health and Safety basics from the job centre. Always handy to have. If you have any basic training in first aid that is a plus too.
Just turn up on time, hear all, see all, say nowt. If you think you can do something a better way, no you can't... It's done that way for a reason, a reason you do not understand. When you progress up the chain of command fire the first spark that turns up late. Job done...

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
Thanks for everybody's replies. Everybody seems to have the same opinion of what makes a good Labourer. I'm 29 and have been about abit so can handle the banter and stick.

I'm surprised of how many replies there has been. I will pass my test Tuesday so will be available for any work in Manchester.

Should I get my first aid cert or banksman?
I haven't got anybody who I could shadow.
Hardest thing is to see somebody face to face as my CV is pretty generic. I get on with everybody even though I'm a man utd fan. I think my best chance of work is agency but if anybody has different ideas let me know?
I know we have members from everywhere and I would be a fool to go against all the good advice.

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
I understand reliability is the most important thing. It's something hard to prove though without being given a chance.

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
First aid and banksman are not expensive tickets so just wanted to know are they worth getting?

It anybody around Manchester is looking for a reliable, non phone holding, fast learner with good people skills bare me in mind. If I was useless I wouldn't just be letting myself down, I would be letting the site down.