CSCS card

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
Got my test for my CSCS labourers card on Tuesday. After recently losing my low paying warehouse job I have been looking on indeed and the general rate for a labourer in Manchester is anywhere from £10 to £12 a hour. This could be up to £3 more than what I was earning in my last job so that's one of my reasons for doing my test. The other reason is to hopefully get with somebody who will teach me a trade in time.
I am wondering what other tickets I can pick up fairly cheaply to better my prospects of a better wage. I am thinking of doing a first aid at work and a banksman ticket..
Has anybody got any advice on what I should do? Can't afford to fully learn a trade at the moment. I do have experience on labouring on private jobs.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

satinet

Are you looking to go on a big site or work with small builders?

Speaking as a small contractor I'd love to find people who work hard and are willing to learn (and turn up for work).

Get a tape measure and learn how to use it ☺️

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's the biggest gripe - reliability

If you say you're going to be there, be there
If you can't make it say so
If your start time is <time> turn up on time
Get yourself a bag with your own PPE in, a decent HiViz bomber jacket, and a sturdy pair of waterproof boots, preferably steel toes capped and nail resistant soles.

Once you get the work and do the above, people will phone you because you become dependable. They won't phone the guy that let's them down.
Same with money, a good labourer is worth his weight, you'll get more for being good at what you do.

Good luck

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
Are you looking to go on a big site or work with small builders?

Speaking as a small contractor I'd love to find people who work hard and are willing to learn (and turn up for work).

Get a tape measure and learn how to use it ☺️
With the position I'm in it will be agency work at first I think. Just something to get my foot in the door and network really. Reliability has never been a problem for me and I'm not daft.

Not sure what area you are from, but if you are local and you have a few days available I will work a week for my dinner and as a reference if you didn't need me any further after that.

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
That's the biggest gripe - reliability

If you say you're going to be there, be there
If you can't make it say so
If your start time is <time> turn up on time
Get yourself a bag with your own PPE in, a decent HiViz bomber jacket, and a sturdy pair of waterproof boots, preferably steel toes capped and nail resistant soles.

Once you get the work and do the above, people will phone you because you become dependable. They won't phone the guy that let's them down.
Same with money, a good labourer is worth his weight, you'll get more for being good at what you do.

Good luck
Thanks for the tips Dave. I appreciate it.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
As Dave said Reliability and willingness to get yer hands dirty as well as doing what yer told while yer learning is the key to being employed on a regular Basis. I cant tell ya how many ive told to "f" off because they are more willing to toss it off than work, the one i see a lot of is more than willing to do anything for any tradesman, and when theres little to do yo will see him sweeping the site, cleaning tools, even washing the vans, his motto is Busy man makes time fly. Good luck pal.

satinet

I'm not in your area sorry.

Great advice above. Lack of reliability is a massive problem these days.

As wise owl says some people expend more energy avoiding doing any work than it would take to actually do some work.

Stay away from the weed out at least don't let it effect your work. Does my head in all these lads blury eyed. Or toking on the job.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If you are looking to keep your options open then consider (only examples and you would need to see what is close to you):
IPAF to allow you to use MEWPS,Scissor lifts,Cherry Pickers etc

Fork lift truck

And a deffo for me is HSE (employers love looking at someone who has a bit of ISOH):

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The thing is @satinet mate ive seen lots come and go and without doubt some good labourers made good tradesmen, as he says he cant afford to fully learn a trade, ive seen lads come on site as young labourers and are now tradesmen, Building College gives ya enough idea how to get into trouble but no idea how to get outta it. Theres nowt like watching and learning from a Tradesman thats got years of experience do what he does.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One tip

when you go on site as an agency labourer you will get some stick, some proper stick, the trades will get onto you summat chronic and you will get plenty of abuse

ignore it and let your work show them what your about,

what will happen if your good, graft well and do things that need to be done without always being asked, is at least one of the subbys or contractors will sorta grab you more than most of the others, loading the brickies out or on the shovel at the mixer, getting the timber in for the chippies, etc

after a while, they will damn near adopt you as thier man, which often leads to a permanent job offer

dont be too quick to go chasing cards, they aint cheap to do, if your good and a firm likes you, you will often find that they will sov up for the courses such as forklift, dumper, first aider etc

good luck mate, its hard at the start, but does get easier

Arch

Site Supporter
As others have said, it's graft that'll get you on. None of this being on your Phone all day lark.

We were taking some line down last back end so a small school could have an extension built. The labourer for these two brickie's worked his socks off. Mixed his own compo, kept the lads loaded out, helped set them up and even did some pointing up for them. We all commented on how much graft he did.

With regards the CSCS card, we don't have one. It's funny when we go one sites and get asked for them only for us to say we ain't got one. The times we've been told we can't go on site without one, only to say "Fine, we'll see you then but you'll get no power" then get told "Hold on, hold on. Just go and do it then"

Wise Owl

Account Locked
As others have said, it's graft that'll get you on. None of this being on your Phone all day lark.

We were taking some line down last back end so a small school could have an extension built. The labourer for these two brickie's worked his socks off. Mixed his own compo, kept the lads loaded out, helped set them up and even did some pointing up for them. We all commented on how much graft he did.

With regards the CSCS card, we don't have one. It's funny when we go one sites and get asked for them only for us to say we ain't got one. The times we've been told we can't go on site without one, only to say "Fine, we'll see you then but you'll get no power" then get told "Hold on, hold on. Just go and do it then"

I was same mate with the CSCS Card i was approached to do the Job but not asked for it. I turned up on the day agreed and was asked for it, lets just say i said right Tools back in the van and suddenly i didnt need one.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
As an electrical contractor for 35 years and with experience of employing numerous electricians I would have loved to have employed reliable workers instead of the prima donnas that are electricians. Why sparks think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me but, they do. If anything upsets them they walk. Proper prima donnas are electricians. ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
As an electrical contractor for 35 years and with experience of employing numerous electricians I would have loved to have employed reliable workers instead of the prima donnas that are electricians. Why sparks think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me but, they do. If anything upsets them they walk. Proper prima donnas are electricians. ?

as a site foreman they were the banes of my life

wouldnt cut thier own access holes, always demanded the chippys do it for them, never clean up, turn in last, and go home first

fully agree that they are the biggest pains in the arse on site

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Don’t go spending out on cards and courses for a while.

From personal experience I went on agency as a brand new class 2 HGV driver & took anything they offered, they paid for my CSCS card to enable me to work sites. One of the insulation companies i did a few weeks of work for offered me a permanent position then paid for my Moffat, forklift and telehandler tickets so I could work the yard too. When I moved to where I am now they kept all those tickets up to date plus they’ve put me through IPAF, first aid, class 1 HGV, IOSH & driver CPC.

If you are a grafter people will see it and invest time & money in you to keep you.

Good luck

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
as a site foreman they were the banes of my life

wouldnt cut thier own access holes, always demanded the chippys do it for them, never clean up, turn in last, and go home first

fully agree that they are the biggest pains in the arse on site
You want to try employing them Mick. Errrrrr ..... Gaffer, ashtray in the van is full can we have a new van please ? ??. It’s that bad some days. They want EVERYTHING doing for them. Proper pain in the bottom are electricians. ?

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
That’s funny I was considering looking into re training as a sparky last week. Someone I know recently did and I have asked them for some info.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That’s funny I was considering looking into re training as a sparky last week. Someone I know recently did and I have asked them for some info.
First lesson is ..... How to make every other trade on site believe you are the most important person ever. ??.

Been an electrical engineer and contractor for 35 years. Allowed me to retire in my early 50’s so it wasn’t all bad. This fishing every other day now isn’t what it’s cracked up to be ......... It’s far better. ???