Crushed Hemp?

sapperrich

Hi all, a local corn and seed supplier is selling crushed hemp seed (£2.50 a kilo) on bag it says no prep ready to use? Thing is it looks like raw hemp (crushed), do you guys think it may need some type of prep? Crushed particles also seem to tend to float. They also sell Hemp pellets, anyone tried these when targeting Silvers? Cheers guys, Happy New Year!

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
It shouldn't need any prep.
I don't think you could crush hemp after it's cooked, so I presume they crush the hemp and then cook it.
I bought some hemp pellets years ago but found that they went mouldy very quickly. I sent some back and they replaced them but the same happened again so I never tried them again. These were hard hemp pellets just to put in your swim, not hookers of any kind.
Your local supplier seems to be a bargain at £2.50/kilo.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Pu some boiling water over it in a bucket then leave overnight a great slop for roach, dace and carp

Zerkalo

Sounds like a bargain. I've only used the branded stuff and it's great for mixing with groundbait.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Few things to think about Rich.
Does the hemp look old and dried as part of the appeal is the release of it's oils into the water.

How do you intend to use it and where?
Crushed hemp can add a nice "fizz" to groundbait but if the particals such as hemp shells are too dry they will float off either to the surface or on a river downstream. This can take the fish away from the "zone" you want them to be.

With the above in mind I only ever used sloppy crushed hemp that I have made myself and it's only (if ever) added to a groundbait at the last minute.

As for hemp pellets had less success with these than have using ewe or layers pellets (roach love layers)

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Some hemp is crushed to extract the oil from it using something like a centrifuge, the hemp sold by fishing brands is just whole raw hemp crushed so will contain much more oil.
Used by itself it will mostly float unless added to groundbait but if you scald it first it is more likely to sink.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Mostly raw but you can buy roasted crushed hemp from Sensas or VDE.
Easy enough to cover raw crushed hemp with boiling water if you want it cooked but then it behaves differently in the water becoming less active.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
You can also crush it and put a thin layer onto a grill tray. A few minutes under the grill will allow the oils to escape.