Crucians

Zerkalo

The tail looks a bit different to the ones I caught yesterday. More like the Brown Goldfish I caught. Nice fish all the same. Must say I'm a little disappointed that they don't have much chance of being pure Crucian as there are Carp in there too.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of crucian’s over 2lb the last was way back in about 1988 and was weighed at 2lb 3oz from an old mill pond.
The pond was netted and the pond filled in to make way for a housing estate a year later, the biggest crucian weighed 2lb 12oz.
For me they are a much maligned species and still one of my favourite fish.
Reading the thread and looking through the fishery info I could well be heading to one on Friday to try for some of them.

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The tail looks a bit different to the ones I caught yesterday. More like the Brown Goldfish I caught. Nice fish all the same. Must say I'm a little disappointed that they don't have much chance of being pure Crucian as there are Carp in there too.
The tell tale is the lateral line scale count... mine has 30 a true Cru has 32-34

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Back in the late 60's and through the 70's I fished at Witley Park just outside Godalming and it was without a doubt the best venue for Crucians I've experienced.
Matches when they were held there saw regular weights in excess of 100lbs.
Unfortunately the estate was sold off, the lakes netted and the fish sold and I believe a lot of those Crucians ended up as the initial stock in Miltons Lake at Old Bury Hill.

This is what I would class as a classic Crucian.......
1591132317558.png

MarkW

Back in the late 60's and through the 70's I fished at Witley Park just outside Godalming and it was without a doubt the best venue for Crucians I've experienced.
Matches when they were held there saw regular weights in excess of 100lbs.
Unfortunately the estate was sold off, the lakes netted and the fish sold and I believe a lot of those Crucians ended up as the initial stock in Miltons Lake at Old Bury Hill.

This is what I would class as a classic Crucian.......
1591132317558.png
I, too, fished at Witley. The Great Storm of 1987 destroyed the trees there - I last fished it in 1997 and by then the carp were pushing the crucians out, but very happy memories of it back in the 70s and 80s.

davepellet

always difficult with crucians, in fact I only know 3 waters locally that have genuine crucians in, and in time one of those won't have many left as it's now got shed loads of normal carp & the odd brown goldfish in, so they'll all be hybridising nicely and over time the proportion of true crucians vs hybrids will plummet

I used to think I was catching some good crucians from a couple of other waters until I caught true crucians...

My preferred tactic has to be close range pole with 4mm or 6mm expander, over micro's... trickled in rather than dumped, as close to lilies as you dare...
Also nice catching on rod fishing a pole float directly under the tip, the purists would recommend using a centrepin, but I haven't got one...