Crucians

JayD

Love fishing for Crucians, the only problem is all the farm ponds I used to catch them in have been filled in, stuffed with carp and goldfish or Cormoranted to death.

Used to do well with a small bait fished dead depth, dotted right down float next to cover. Feed LITTLE and Often. If using ground bait I would only put in a thumbnail sized ball at a time.

I'm the same, I haven't caught one for quite a few years, all the waters that I knew held them, have all been over stocked with various types of carp, including the brown goldfish, and now finding a true crucian around here, is like the proverbial rocking horse rubbish. I have heard of a couple of small ponds that have been recently stocked with true crucians, but they need a few years to grow on.

John

andymc112

If you can locate them, a flat method feeder, method mix does amazingly well.

4" hair rig. Either a chopped down boilie or pellet topped with bright foam or corn

Don't bury the hair into the feeder. Leave about 2" of the rig exposed at the bottom of the hair.

Honestly if you're on the fish it's deadly.

chris1967

Site Supporter
I fished a match just outside horncastle owned by a guy named shaun ,normally you don't see them on commercials at all but at this place i saw a kid weigh in about 50lb of them ,it was quite bizarre seeing that many little bars of gold in one net.i think it was called field farm fishery or something like that .

squimp

Site Supporter
Check out the Crucian Conservation Project.

people like Peter Rolfe and Chris Turnbull promoting the stocking of true crucians and the creation of new crucian fisheries.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That is the thing Squimp as there are actually very few pure Crucian venues about now and the chances are that most in a water with other carp species are hybrids.

Zerkalo

On the subject of True Crucians, it was said the other day a scale count is the best way to tell, makes sense. Is there a problem with hybrids? Do they breed with other Carp and result in an F1 like creature?

Here's a list of Crucian Fisheries

Needs Hurst Farm, Bridgnorth adding.

squimp

Site Supporter
The CCP website has lots of useful info about recognising true crucians and the various different common hybrids. Also how to manage crucian lakes.

i think there is also a list of fish suppliers with accredited true crucians.

I’m doing exactly that and developing a crucian and tench fishery. But they do grow very slowly ! Mine are up to about 12oz now.

just FYI my true crucians were supplied by AE fisheries.

if you love crucians then ‘crock of gold’ by Peter Rolfe is essential reading.

smiffy

Site Supporter
There’s a massive problem with hybridistation. On that list it’s only the A category fisheries you can absolutely guarantee what you catch is a true Crucian. They have no other Carp in them.
It’s amazing how many people mistake brown goldfish or F1’s as Crucians. Sometimes I can understand it but when someone’s mistaking a brown goldfish with a massive ornamental tail as a Crucian it frustrates me. Frustrating because id love to have a water nearby where I can catch authentic Crucians. I have a real soft spot for them.

Zerkalo

Definitely True Crucians at Hurst Farm although I did catch a Brown Goldfish and a Koi I lumped in with the Crucians in my report of fishing there as most of the fish were definitely Crucians. Although I only took one pic of a Crucian.

2020-05-31 09.57.04.jpg

Next time I fish it I might fish the lift method proper. This time I overshotted with just a number 6 shot but have seen people (on a Martin Bowler video) of fishing with swanshot on a sliding link, not for Crucians mind but I think it's worth a try.

smiffy

Site Supporter
That looks like a true Crucian, proper colour. But,,,,,,there’s no guarantee?. The record that stood for years was thrown out because of doubts as to wether it was a true Crucian.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
A few years ago through friends we stumbled across a little farm venue that was advertised as having Crucians along with Carp,Tench and Roach.
As we are devoid of any decent Crucian waters around by me we were keen to get on it and paid over the odds for a season permit.
It was an amazing place as we were catching 12 ounce to a pound and a half Roach right in the margins where the sedges hung over all around. (every put in was a fish of all species even in late Autumn/early Winter).
We all caught our Crucians with numerous over the 1lb size and a mate had a couple of two's.
The pool became a fishery as a match pool was added and we stopped going as it became known for having big Crucians,we just couldn't get a ticket (also the expansion finished for me).

Four seasons later they had a massive fish kill on the original pool (algae bloom) and the fish were sampled - there was not one true Crucian found in the pool :D:D

Zerkalo

It does have Carp in there, which might mean there aren't some true Crucians in there but I'm sure they were.

I'll fish this place again and get some better pics as that one's not great.

I think this fishery is not as well fished as it should be from what I can tell. I went on a Sunday and only 5 people were fishing it. No platforms around the lake and 20 foot deep so gives it a more natural feel.

I don't mind advertising it as a decent place on here as I'm sure it won't turn it into an overfished hotspot but a good place to try for anyone ever in the area, that is if you can find it as I ended up following my satnav to the back entrance and had to be let through a code-locked gate by the owner. I think if I went there midweek I'd see hardly anyone fishing it especially in Winter when I plan to try some feeder fishing there.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
A few years ago through friends we stumbled across a little farm venue that was advertised as having Crucians along with Carp,Tench and Roach.
As we are devoid of any decent Crucian waters around by me we were keen to get on it and paid over the odds for a season permit.
It was an amazing place as we were catching 12 ounce to a pound and a half Roach right in the margins where the sedges hung over all around. (every put in was a fish of all species even in late Autumn/early Winter).
We all caught our Crucians with numerous over the 1lb size and a mate had a couple of two's.
The pool became a fishery as a match pool was added and we stopped going as it became known for having big Crucians,we just couldn't get a ticket (also the expansion finished for me).

Four seasons later they had a massive fish kill on the original pool (algae bloom) and the fish were sampled - there was not one true Crucian found in the pool :D:D

there is actually a register of ponds, lakes and suchlike that hold True Crucians, and that list is pretty small

its rare, very rare to find a pond that holds carp of any other sub species that will have true crucians in it

this might help

Zerkalo

I actually found out about Hurst Farm from a bloke I was fishing next to at Himley Hall. Apparently that had Crucians in there over 10 years ago but was stocked with Carp and the Crucians dissapeared. A couple of people walking round told me the same thing, that there used to be Crucians in there until it got stocked with Carp and now they are nowhere to be seen, not even hybrids.

Like I say though, I will get more pics from Hurst Farm as if they were not True Crucians then it fooled me ha.

squimp

Site Supporter
Now that you mention it, I caught a strange fish at The Grange in Essex in about 1995.

it definitely had a bit of crucian in it. But I put it back unweighted as it was obviously some form of hybrid.

it probably weighed between 4 and 4.5 lb.

can I claim it Now as a new PB ?

MarkW

On the subject of True Crucians, it was said the other day a scale count is the best way to tell, makes sense. Is there a problem with hybrids? Do they breed with other Carp and result in an F1 like creature?

Here's a list of Crucian Fisheries

Needs Hurst Farm, Bridgnorth adding.
Email me the full details - see the crucian fisheries webpage for details and I'll add it to the list. I need address, controlling club, post code, what other fish in there ie carp or goldfish.

Just to add to the crucian's plight there is DNA evidence of gibel carp in the UK now.

GobioTractor

Bread flake can be deadly when bites are slow on other baits. They seem to home in on it and hang onto it a bit longer.

Zerkalo

Email me the full details - see the crucian fisheries webpage for details and I'll add it to the list. I need address, controlling club, post code, what other fish in there ie carp or goldfish.

Just to add to the crucian's plight there is DNA evidence of gibel carp in the UK now.

Will do mate. I'll PM you with details soon.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I fished a water last year that claimed they had a good head of Crucians... sadly the chunk I caught was as much a brown goldfish as a Crucian... I do think that a lot of owners or bailiffs are guilty of mis-identification when it comes to claiming which species are available... see below
20190910_115529.jpg

Much as I'd like to think that this is a Tru Cru, I know it's not