Crucians

Zerkalo

I've just started fishing a Crucian water. I had my first day there yesterday and don't remember ever fishing a 'Crucian water' before. The only crucians I'd caught previously were odd ones here and there.

Any tips for fishing for Crucians? I don't find them that different to F1s. Which in turn I don't find that different to Carp. I find they put up a decent scrap for their size like any Carp.

I fished yesterday in the margins, it was too deep anywhere else on such a hot day, just off the end of the rod tip with a small Crystal Insert Waggler shotted lift style, 5 inches overdepth with a no6 5 inches from the hook. Corn worked ok but not as well as maggot on a size 16 hook to 0.12 hooklength. Got a mixture of lift bites and sail aways.

I had 20 yesterday but still looking to improve my Crucian fishing, a lot of which I suppose is venue dependant as this is a very deep lake I fish, but thinking about it I had my PB crucian of a couple of fish around 2lb yesterday. Did not weigh them though. What's your PB Crucian? Any Crucian tips or stories?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s rare I catch them as there’s only one easily accessible water around here with them in of which it's not amongst my favourites. When do though I fish for them there there’s not a big enough head of them to target them. I just go for my standard silvers approach of an insert waggler fished roughly dead depth but shot to fish on the drop with a maggot on an 18 and always pick up a few of crucians amongst the silvers.

My best crucian day was bizarre tbh. I was on holiday fishing a lake in Norfolk that I knew held them but the admittedly decent sized silvers were rampant on maggot so I couldn’t really get amongst the crucian. Switched to fishing very slow sinking bread to try get some bigger silvers and started catching crucian virtually off the top along with the odd silver and carp. Must have had a couple dozen including my PB of if I recall about 2.25lb and virtually all of them were over a pound. Tbh given they are few and far between around here I probably caught more crucian that day than I have in the 5 years since lol

Last edited:

Dusty

Small baits for me have always done the trick for Crucians.

Micro pellets, expanders, small cubes of meat, casters.
I fish for them on the deck but usually lay a little bit of line on the deck with a couple of tell tale shot to dot the float right down to a pimple. Most of mine have come in the margins or at the end of the rod tip.

?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
We've got some decent ones in our waters but the best I've had is around a pound. I normally find they respond to corn, maggot or bread. They are finicky biters though & as Dusty says, dot the float right down. I'd say a no8 as your tell tale shot rather than No6

Zerkalo

I definitely want to try expanders there. Interestingly yesterday I thought I'd try cutting back on the maggots for a while and just fishing corn over 4mm Coppens and it went quiet but I still think expanders should work. Although yesterday maggots were the bait. Breadflake sounds pretty deadly too.

I'm looking forward to feeder fishing here over Winter as it's 20 foot deep in places so hopefully the Crucians will still feed?

Can you still fish lift method with a no8 tell tale shot?

ATTICUS FINCH

If you are fishing under your rod top then I would be using a pole float on the rod great presentation and as delicate as ya like. Small cubes of meat or even punched meat on a hair ,small grains of corn but not tinned as it's too hard .g/bait can be used but very little feed content but a smelly one , I prefer a sweet mix as opposed to a fishmeal. And make it dark coloured

Zerkalo

Interesting on the Groundbait choice. I was thinking about this as I will likely try a cage feeder there over winter and was thinking about groundbait choice, potentially going for a fishmeal one like Sonubaits F1 (Green - it mixes up into a mud colour) but now I am thinking maybe Sonubaits Black Lake would be best. Usually I mix the F1 Green and Black Lake for my commercial fishing over winter for Carp anyway. A pole float is a good idea too as yesterday I managed to lose two Crystal Inserts to a tree I was fishing under.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Used to be in a club which had a great crucian water and fished quite a few matches there. Small baits are the way to go, 4mil expanders or punched meat were best with caster close behind.
Fished it with pole float dotted down to nothing, set at dead depth, not over, just the very tip in the surface layer, bit of bristle grease if necessary, with a no 11 or 12 shot about an inch from the hook (obviously you need a fine enough bristle that this shot registers) and hit absolutely ANY movement. If you wait for a positive bite you'll miss a load of chances.
Didn't often use groundbait but if did, it would be a very fine fishmeal mixed quite dry and cupped in loose.

Zerkalo

Bites yesterday were positive with a 6 shot, knowing they can be notoriously finicky, although I did have quite a few bumped fish. Maybe a combination of a snag in my peg and Perch were blunting my hook :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The more I hear about all this delicate stuff (which I can relate to regarding some of the crucians I've had on maggot but not all) makes that session I had on bread for them even weirder. They were just popping out from under the lily pads and sucking it in with gusto lol

Dusty

There’s a club local to me that is absolutely stuffed with them. It forms part of an old set of estate lakes. My mate used to bag up on them on the pole fishing with 4mm cubes of meat.

Zerkalo

For anyone interested I was fishing Hurst Farm, Bridgnorth. An amazing Crucian venue I'd recommend to anyone interested. It's really deep, quite a unique place in my experience.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Do think meat is under utilised as a non carp and barbel bait. Using roughly 4mm cubes like you say I've caught lots of roach, perch, Rudd and bream and a few crucian and tench on it from commercials. Can't say I have much luck on it on more natural waters but guess that's as its not seen much.

Zerkalo

Not used meat since I got back into fishing but used to like using it on commercials, this was before a lot of bait bans that say no loosefeeding it. Even for Barbel I'm happy with Sonubaits hookbaits so the temptation to try meat has waned.

Dusty

Do think meat is under utilised as a non carp and barbel bait. Using roughly 4mm cubes like you say I've caught lots of roach, perch, Rudd and bream and a few crucian and tench on it from commercials. Can't say I have much luck on it on more natural waters but guess that's as its not seen much.

I use it loads on commercials and have some brilliant mixed catches on it. I think using smaller cubes makes a massive difference. A lot of lads in my club will use 8mm or similar but I find you can get away with using 4mm and it doesn’t massively effect the stamp of fish you get.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I agree I've had just as many carp and barbel on small cubes as I have big cubes and by using the small cubes you get all the other species as well.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Love fishing for Crucians, the only problem is all the farm ponds I used to catch them in have been filled in, stuffed with carp and goldfish or Cormoranted to death.

Used to do well with a small bait fished dead depth, dotted right down float next to cover. Feed LITTLE and Often. If using ground bait I would only put in a thumbnail sized ball at a time.

Silver fan 82

I've just started fishing a Crucian water. I had my first day there yesterday and don't remember ever fishing a 'Crucian water' before. The only crucians I'd caught previously were odd ones here and there.

Any tips for fishing for Crucians? I don't find them that different to F1s. Which in turn I don't find that different to Carp. I find they put up a decent scrap for their size like any Carp.

I fished yesterday in the margins, it was too deep anywhere else on such a hot day, just off the end of the rod tip with a small Crystal Insert Waggler shotted lift style, 5 inches overdepth with a no6 5 inches from the hook. Corn worked ok but not as well as maggot on a size 16 hook to 0.12 hooklength. Got a mixture of lift bites and sail aways.

I had 20 yesterday but still looking to improve my Crucian fishing, a lot of which I suppose is venue dependant as this is a very deep lake I fish, but thinking about it I had my PB crucian of a couple of fish around 2lb yesterday. Did not weigh them though. What's your PB Crucian? Any Crucian tips or stories?
My best came on the maggot feeder. A fish of around 2 pounds. I don't go out of my way to target them.
A lot of people who target them go for a bit of a stepped up approach, i.e method feeder, light braided hooklinks but still small ish hooks using corn, pellets or even mini boilies or bandums for bait.

mikey393

Site Supporter
Some very good tips here for you & will reiterate 4mm meat can use a meat cutter to get spot on. Very sensitive light pole float dotted right down with a minimal amount of bristle showing. Don't wait for the float to go under strike before then & lift & drop regularly to keep catching. Feed little an often ground bait or just small cups of the 4mm meat. Great sport & makes you think a lot more about your approach.

solwood

Site Supporter
I fish Marsh Farm regularly, there is the classic purist approach of small float but bites can be finicky

Stick a small method, micros and 6mm wafter in same spot get a screaming take !!

I use light rods 0.5lb to old fox rods, or 9ft mach2 xt wand, 3lb mainline gardner hydro flo and .13 or .15 hooklink with 16 or 18 or c1 hook