Crucians in Winter

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thinking ahead a bit to the coming cold seasons I have a Crucian lake that I want to fish on the feeder. Crucians I’d always considered to be a bit of a warm water species? This lake is 20ft deep though so I reckon I’d still be able to catch them over winter?

It also has a ton of roach and perch in there which I think might make targeting the Crucians problematic, and also some large Carp (meaning the Crucians aren’t True Crucians but…).

My usual method of attack in winter is a cage feeder with groundbait, maggots and pellets. If they do feed I think it might be an even more productive water in winter than in summer when I think you have to fish the margins to catch anything?

MarkW

I have caught the odd genuine crucian in mid winter from commercials and similar but these are shallow, less than 4ft deep, and only when the water has been over 10C. I think you will be very lucky to get a winter crucian from the water you describe.

Weirdly a water that Peter Rolfe used to manage used to produce winter crucians in very cold conditions but only in the small hours of the night ie midnight to 3am! This was an old estate lake.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had 20 of them from the margins when I fished it a couple of months ago so it's full of fish. I was hoping the deeper water would be beneficial in the cold?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As water cools towards 4 degrees C it gets more dense. Thus in Winter the deeper the water the colder it will be. That is why Mark is pointing out that shallow lakes are probably best for Winter crucians.

Winter crucians are rare on my club snake lake that is around 4 1/2 - 5ft deep.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I understand. :)

There will be thermoclines and stratification between the layers on a water this deep.

Having said that in Winter on the two commercials I fish I pick the deepest pegs at about 9 foot at Furnace Mill and 6 foot at Bells Mill and do okay (better than when I fish shallow pegs there) but that seems to go against the logic that the sun will warm up the shallowest water first? :unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Jamie Hughes reckons (and I've heard this elsewhere) deeper water holds the temp for a bit longer but take longer to warm up. Not saying you can't catch in shallow water in winter but...

Linked at the time he mentions it...

I'm going to fish this place when it gets cold just to see how I get on.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I prefer feeder fishing unlike many but there's no catching them in summer in the deep water at this place, too deoxygenated and they're all in the margins, plenty of them though!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not a fish I'd associate with winter thats for sure, I've always presumed they go dormant then. Will find out this year as got 3 in the garden now lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Although I had Brown Goldfish and a Koi (and lost a couple of Carp) they're what I'd call Crucians. Only pic I got of one unfortunately.

2020-05-31 09.57.04.jpg

I don't get hung up on whether they're true Crucians or not really as they look for all intents and purposes like Crucians but I guess I would if I caught a big one as reportedly run to 4lb in there. :unsure: I will have to fish there again and get some proper pics. :)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Had quite a few crucians from one of the club waters tonight, all on corn. Mostly around the 8oz mark but they give a decent scrap. We have another pond that is full of brown goldfish which run to 4lb. They're solid little buggers & really fight.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice! Brown Goldfish from the same water...

2020-05-31 10.56.22.jpg

They do put up a decent scrap for their size! A couple of the Crucians I had were close to 2lb with most of them around the 12oz to 1lb mark.

Only thing that puts me off fishing this place is finding it, have to find a point to put in my sat nav that will take me to the right entrance, and even then it's down a bit of a lane. Something different being 20 foot deep though.