Crucians Galore

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cautious Crucians, ravenous Roach, and pesky Perch :p just about sums up my day at Hurst Farm. It was the first time I fished it and had given myself the choice of either trying it out or opting for the Stafs/Worcs canal. In the end I'm glad I went to Hurst Farm as it's a really unique venue with 2 main coarse fishing lakes, both apparently 20 foot deep in places.

On my way there my Sat Nav was saying some long route taking 50 minutes when I thought if I just go through Bridgnorth it will only take 30 as per Google maps, but when I did get there, 2 miles of a dusty bumpy track later, I arrive at a locked gate. I had gone to the back entrance! So I had to call the fishery to get them to kindly send someone down to open the gate for me and explain the right way in.

I chose a peg in the centre of a bank on the middle lake, with a tree to my left to provide a bit of shade. Plumbing up gave me about 10 foot just of the end of the rod so I decided to fish the margin where I still had a good 4 foot of depth. Tactics were to be a light Crystal waggler fished just off the end of the rod overdepth by about 5 inches.

First cast I had a little Perch about 4oz. I had about 10lb of them throughout the day and about 10lb of decent stamp Roach as below.

2020-05-31 09.45.43.jpg

I was catching those one a chuck on maggot so occasionally tried Corn which hooked me a couple of lost Carp, but also a few Crucians, including this one with a fan tail.

2020-05-31 10.56.20.jpg

And this Koi towards the end. Fishing under a tree meant I had a snag where I was fishing in the margin. I lost about 5 hooks to it and skilfully a couple of floats to the tree above after pulling out of said snag, but I had not choice to fish elsewhere in the peg as being such a hot day, when I did try chucking a feeder into the deeper water, I didn't have a bite in the clearly deoxygenated deep water, despite hoping a Tench or two might lurk there.

2020-05-31 13.13.21.jpg

I don't remember ever fishing a 'Crucian venue' before and so I'm very glad I found this one. I had about 20 Crucians to 2lb in the end. Not as hectic as usual commercial Carp fishing but a beautiful venue and one that might prove fruitful as a Winter venue being as it's so deep, so I'm really glad that I've found it and would recommend it to anyone who like Crucian fishing.

Dusty

That Koi looking one is stunning! Love catching Crucians.

I reckon you’ve just made my mind up as well, going to head down on Tuesday for a day on the waggler ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I'm not sure if those two pictured are actually Crucians or just a type of Koi but still nice fish to catch. Glad I managed to inspire you to go Crucian fishing! I will be heading back to Hurst Farm for sure!

Dusty

I’m not going to be crucian fishing as we have very few decent crucian waters around here but definitely fancy a day on the wag.

They are definitely some variety of crucian hybrid in your pictures ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like a cracking day especially if a number of the roach were like the one pictured!

I’m pretty sure that is a brown goldfish in your pic though and there’s not much chance of catching a true crucian with those about. I used to think I was catching crucians with those until I caught an actual crucian then the difference is quite obvious lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I thought so too, but because they were caught alongside 20 odd Crucians I class them as similar ha.

2020-05-31 09.57.03.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That looks more like one. Sometimes it's obvious but when it's not I use the old 32-34 scales down its lateral line test.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I usually just tell a Crucian by the shape and mouth, they are quite distinctive I think, though not too dissimilar from Brown Goldfish so easily confused.

Nice fish Zerkalo. I might give it a go when we are next down that neck of the woods. we usually spend a few days in Bewdley or Worcester twice a year for the fishing. We usually take our pick from these waters... Fishing in the Midlands – Google My Maps

Thanks and yeah there are loads of fisheries but it depends what you want aside from I presume the Severn as a lot of them are similar with lots of Carp. I like finding unique places like this so would recommend it to anyone that likes Crucian fishing. Otherwise Furnace Mill and Bells Mill are my favourite and Patshull Park after August for Bream. I've not even fished many of the places in that list though!

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I saw you write up on Patshull Park last year and I would like to give that a go later this year. My favourite place for skimmers and roach in your neck of the woods has to be Wilden Pool. It is a nice big lake and most people fish for the carp. You can catch huge nets of skimmers to around 3lbs and some cracking roach on pole and soft pellet. I usually fish for the carp later in the day when they show in the margins... (y)
oh, and the owner will let you use a keepnet if you are targeting the skimmers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds good, will have to try it! I knew I was forgetting one though, Himley Hall I fished for the first time last week and had a good bag of Tench so that's another place to try. Bells Mill and Furnace Mill are just mixed commercials really, Furnace Mill I like because you get the odd 3lb Perch and 6lb Bream among the Carp lol with apparently big Roach too, favourite of Matt Hayes and a big sign out the front with his name on as endorsement ha! :)