Crucian Hybrid?

MikeB123

I know it's probably easy for some of you on here. Doesn't look pure to me. Any help appreciated.

Mike

Attachments

• 20220831_125826.jpg
    20220831_125826.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 52

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I make the lateral line count 33 which would indicate a true Crucian to me (normally anywhere between 32-34) Dorsal fin and the rest look right as well. It looks a bit pale but that could be down to the water quality.
If it was a brown Goldfish the lateral count would be 27-29

MikeB123

Peter,

I had no clue about the lateral line scale count. I will pass it on to my fishing chums.

Kind regards

Mike

MarkW

I think it might be a goldfish x carp which might explain the scale count; I've asked Pete Rolfe for a second opinion, and will get back to you.

John Step

Site Supporter
I would have like to able to see the tail spread out more. It ticks most boxes but to me it looks like it should have a more pronounced hump back.
I would put money on it that there is a bit of goldfish in it.

John Step

Site Supporter
Mark if you should read this can you answer this? Seeing how king carp, goldfish, crucians etc hybridise so successfully did they originate from one strain that man has interfered with. Ie. are gold fish king carp by a different name and breeding selection?

MikeB123

I would have like to able to see the tail spread out more. It ticks most boxes but to me it looks like it should have a more pronounced hump back.
Morning John. If I only knew about all the criteria I'd have taken pics of all it's fins (caudal, ventral) in more detail. This pic show the tail in better detail. When I fanned it out it was more shallow than it looks here. Hope this helps. Their are koi in the water.

GOPR0045_MJ9bN35KKQ6W0_0_1661968811880.JPG

MikeB123

Mark if you should read this can you answer this? Seeing how king carp, goldfish, crucians etc hybridise so successfully did they originate from one strain that man has interfered with. Ie. are gold fish king carp by a different name and breeding selection?
The Crucian Website this website has loads of detail

Morning John. If I only knew about all the criteria I'd have taken pics of all it's fins (caudal, ventral) in more detail. This pic show the tail in better detail. When I fanned it out it was more shallow than it looks here. Hope this helps. Their are koi in the water.
gopr0045_mj9bn35kkq6w0_0_1661968811880-jpg.220250

The Crucian Website This website I found this morning has loads of detail and I will now follow the instructions in future o help aid ID. Thanks for your replies men.

MarkW

No they are separate species that evolved long before man came onto the scene and that are closely related enough to interbreed. These 'groups' of fish that can interbreed are fairly common but important: outside the groups you don't get interbreeding eg roach cannot cross with carp as different groups.