Cromwell Weir Barbel hotspot to be destroyed

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
ONE of the very best fishing spots will be lost to anglers after the controlling club accepted defeat in their long legal battle.

Iconic peg 1A at Cromwell Weir, on the Collingham AA stretch of the River Trent in Nottinghamshire, is one of the best barbel venues in Britain. Many anglers rated it as THE No.1 spot.

It will be buried under concrete following final approval of Barn Energy Ltd’s plan to generate hydroelectric power from the weir. Peg 2 and possibly peg 3 will also be lost to angling.

More here...

Philocalist

Not good news at all - don't know the water at all, and never likely to fish it, but presumably its not all doom and gloom, and the disturbed fish will simply set up shop elsewhere locally, providing new opportunities in fresh swims, no?

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Was lucky to night fish it once, Had 7 barbel, the story is you have a queue of Bivvies waiting from about the 8th of June to get into pegs 1 and 1a .

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Perhaps this might not be a bad thing in the long run as it might disperse the Barbel throughout the river a bit more and curtail the "circus" that it appears to have created.

Thats my thoughts an all, its an aquarium mate, me and a pal catching in Pegs 1 and 1a some others in 2 - 3 - 4 and 5 had a Flatty between em.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Fished it one afternoon by look.
A few were just leaving.
I never set my 2nd rod up it was bites galore.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Shame for those who liked it. Personally never interested me for the reasons above and isn't an indicator of what the majority of Barbel fishing is like.
Now lets see some real features and sessions advertising kit on stretches where one or two Barbel is a good day.