Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
'Thieves took all but our wellies'
by Ben Hewes

HIGH AND DRY Colin and Sean Boyle
A BUDDING young angler has been left high and dry after thieves stole thousands of pounds worth of fishing gear.

Twelve-year-old Sean Boyle was left with nothing but a pair of wellies after his family's camper van was trashed and all his equipment taken.

Sean, who does two paper rounds every morning, had spent all his summer holidays working to pay for his tackle.

But the night before his first big fishing trip, thieves struck and stole everything except an old pair of wellies.

Sean, of Butler Place, Deepdale, said: "I took my summer holidays off to work with my dad. I worked really hard to get this stuff, I was gutted. I'm just really upset."

Sean and his dad, Colin, 37, had packed their Ford Transit van with around 4,000 worth of fishing gear on Friday, January 10. It was full of rods, boxes of weights, a two-man tent and camping chairs.

Keen fisherman Colin said: "Sean does two paper rounds every single morning and he has been doing that now for about 12 months. Lately every spare bit of money he had he has put towards his fishing gear.

"The majority of the stuff was new and he only got a chance to use it once last year and has been pestering me to take him away fishing. I promised him we would go."

As soon as they realised what had happened, Colin rang round all the local antique shops and auction houses, warning them to be on the lookout.

Colin, a mental health nurse at Guild Park, Preston, said: "I've been collecting it for 25 years, and my lad only started fishing two years ago. His stuff was literally brand new.

"The only thing they left us with was was my waders and my lad's wellies.

"We haven't got a single rod between us now. It's gutting."

DI Andy Murphy of Preston CID confirmed a large amount of property was stolen from a vehicle including a quantity of fishing tackle.

He said: "If anyone has any information about this crime or indeed has been offered for sale in suspicious circumstances items matching those stolen please contact me at Preston police."

To help call 01772 203203.

(Original article: http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/lancashire/preston/news/PRESTNEWS1.html)

Last edited:

anyexcuse

Know the feeling. My club have just had our steel Shed raided. Lost approx 1000 of the equipment we use for training the kids i.e. 3 sets of poles,whips,rods n reels and tackle boxes. Probably was taken by someone connected with the club in some way. We'd only bought it this season with the help of a Community Chest Grant - and it wasnt insured. It's probably put us back 2-3 yrs as far as our training program is concerned.
My sypathies to anyone in the same predictament, especially if it affects the kids.

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

scouse

'River Man'
b*****ds
sorry dave it is the only word
that discribes s*** like that

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

G

I will echo scouse's sentiments

scum bags whoever did this.

catch me if u can
Andy,

Del-J

' Victor '
Got to agree with both Scouse and Andy.

I only hope the scroats responsible are caught, but I doubt if they will be.[:(!]

Del

Not fishing? Then talk to your mates on M/Ds.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have to agree with all of the above.
BUT in this day and age is it really sensible to leave 4000 of tackle in a van at night?
Of course the answer should be YES.But the reality of it is that it was asking for trouble.[:(!]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't be sorry Scouse, I could have called them a whole lot worse.

The idiot magistrate who said that burglars shouldn't be locked up is right, they should be entered into a Chicken Run with the local Rugger teams

Dave

crusty

[:(!]agree with all said[:(!]
when my motor was robbed the policeman who finally turned up said
in reply to my anger;
"its not their fault they're doing it for their next fix"!!!!!!
he reckoned its your mates who by cheap tackle from carboots and blokes in "pubs" who create the market.
personally if I see someone breaking in to my car, or anyone elses for that matter, they are getting THUMPED

crusty

mike s

One thing that will help to thwart these SCUM is for anglers to be as sure as possible on the origins of any used gear they buy.
I personally will not take any stuff from guys who I've never seen in the shop before & have done my bit in getting a couple of scumbags prosecuted-one of whom I had previously thought was OK.
So if you're after a bargain,THINK & be CAREFUL

Cumbria Angling Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.