Cricket?

BBear

Site Supporter
What on earth is going on in India? Either both team’s batsmen are hopeless or it’s a joke wicket?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The pitches for the last two matches have been absolutely farcical. Anyone other than the BCCI would cop massive fines for them. Imagine the fuss if they turned up for their tour of England this summer and we just didn’t mow the pitches which would be the english equivalent. They’d go nuts! Obviously you do want to use home advantage but it’s got to be within reason as if not it just turns it into a farce. There needs to be something like a minimum and maximum amount of grass allowed on the pitches to stop full on pitch doctoring.

I think in this particular match they were terrified of facing our seamers with the pink ball after their 36 all out against it in OZ so basically ruined the pitch to remove the seamers from the game. I think the pitch for the last match was a reaction to what Anderson and archer did to them in the first match as well.

We should definitely serve up some good old English seamers in the summer as revenge! Within sensible parameters of course as a shouldn’t stoop to their level.

Simon R

Site Supporter
On a decent pitch they know they can't beat us - as was demonstrated in the first test - so they serve up the rubbish that we've subjected to in the last two tests (which they play on week in, week out) and unsurprisingly win easily.

Jonathan Agnew summed it up quite nicely on the BBC website:
There was a big argument last week - I didn't think that pitch wasn't fit enough for Test match cricket, but the ICC didn't do anything. Once they don't do anything it just leaves it open for the next ones.

Until the ICC actually act, and we talked about points being deducted and things that actually matter, it will just carry on. You don't want to see Test cricket played on pitches like this - the odd one is interesting, and I quite like low-scoring games, but pitches like this make batting a lottery, and that isn't what Test cricket is about. It's about skill v skill.
When you see a guy out on the pitch mid-way through the second day with a dustpan and brush sweeping up loose dust and sand doesn't that ring any alarm bells with the ICC?
Maybe instead of using Headingly for home test matches we should start using Scarborough beach and learn how to play cricket in sand pits.

Simon

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On a decent pitch they know they can't beat us - as was demonstrated in the first test - so they serve up the rubbish that we've subjected to in the last two tests (which they play on week in, week out) and unsurprisingly win easily.

Jonathan Agnew summed it up quite nicely on the BBC website:

When you see a guy out on the pitch mid-way through the second day with a dustpan and brush sweeping up loose dust and sand doesn't that ring any alarm bells with the ICC?
Maybe instead of using Headingly for home test matches we should start using Scarborough beach and learn how to play cricket in sand pits.

Simon
Spot on 👍🏻

Although they don’t play on pitches quite like that week in week out as those pitches had a degree and half more turn than the average pitch in India over the last 5 years which just shows how extremely they’d doctored them.

They’ve just devalued the sport with those pitches. Makes me laugh that they do it as it does them no good in the long run either. Just have to look at their record in England, last 3 tours they’ve lost 4-1, 4-1 and 4-0. They haven’t won in SA for god knows how long either and the Current NZ team would thrash them at home as well. They talk about being no1 in the world but in reality if averaged out across all conditions England, SA, NZ and OZ are much better than them.

BBear

Site Supporter
Yes a complete joke. Root is a tidy back-up spinner, but 5-8, really? This has ruined the series and shows how far test cricket has sunk.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Any test match that finishes in 2-days must raise some serious red flags. If the ICC don't get off their butts and do something, I can foresee a point when teams will refuse to play in India.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Any test match that finishes in 2-days must raise some serious red flags. If the ICC don't get off their butts and do something, I can foresee a point when teams will refuse to play in India.
Absolutely, something needs to be done about it

Yes a complete joke. Root is a tidy back-up spinner, but 5-8, really? This has ruined the series and shows how far test cricket has sunk.
Yep completely ruined the series. It’s not test crickets fault though it’s the BCCI, now let’s see if the ICC do anything about it 🤔

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Whats the fuss?
Pitches are set to give the home team the advantage,same as we always have with green early season and swing pitches and Oz with quick and bouncy.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Whats the fuss?
Pitches are set to give the home team the advantage,same as we always have with green early season and swing pitches and Oz with quick and bouncy.
Totally agree on the home advantage as that is what makes going round the world interesting. But test matches shouldn’t be finishing in 2 days with both teams struggling to score at all and part timers taking cheap 5 fors. Even the worst green tops make it into the 3rd day.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Same for both teams playing on the same pitch.
Remind me the scores each side had the last test?

BBear

Site Supporter
Yes it’s the same for both sides, as it also would if they played on a beach, it just ain’t test cricket.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
In this day and age, with the expertise and technology on offer the wicket produced falls well below even the minimum standard, I've played on better pitches than that in a very average dorset premier league, where the pitches are prepared by unpaid amateurs.

The cricket board should be fined for letting it happen, the India team should loose points or this test be awarded to england, send a clear message that a test wicked should be able to withstand 5 days of play with some moderate wear being accepted I would be surprised if that pitch could of lasted that long.

62tucker

Site Supporter
More runs scored in New Zealand v Australia 20/20 last night that in a 5 day test match.
Root took 5 wickets. Wtf

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
More runs scored in New Zealand v Australia 20/20 last night that in a 5 day test match.
That is nuts when you think about it. Like even the most high scoring t20 is unlikely to produce as much as 500 runs and you'd think even the most bowler friendly test pitch should have a fair few more runs in it than that.

Not that they should be like it every time but I find the best tests are the ones that last 4 to 5 days with 200-400 runs per innings as they have about the right balance between bat and ball.

Keith Sparky

If we accept that winning the toss is very important in test cricket and that conditions generally favour home teams why don't they change the rules so that all away teams have the toss always.......would this help to make for better series of games ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If we accept that winning the toss is very important in test cricket and that conditions generally favour home teams why don't they change the rules so that all away teams have the toss always.......would this help to make for better series of games ?
They've done something kind of like that in county cricket, not exactly sure how it works but doesn't seem to have been particularly well received.

I don't think the toss should be messed with as its an interesting tactical part of the game. The pitches just shouldn't be as such that the toss decides the game like it did in the last test as it was pretty much only intact for a couple sessions. People will say oh well rohit scored a quick hundred so it can't have been that bad which holds some water but he did also bat out of his skin and got a helping hand from a very rusty broad and Ali plus stone in his second test. Most other batsman against more inform bowlers would have never done that it was almost a freak innings. Then ashwin scored a wonderful hundred but the pressure was totally off by then as the game was already won.

Tbh the pitch was so bad in this test that the toss wouldn't have made a massive difference . Possibly the only reason both teams scored over 100 first innings was that they had faced however many overs of seam before the spinners. Had the spinners been on earlier (no fault of the captains as pitches shouldn't see spinners needed that early!) then who knows how cheaply the wickets could have fallen especially if bess had played over broad. No criticism for that selection mind you given how pink ball games have gone in the past it seemed right. Plus you can't read too much into India picking lots of spinners as they've inexplicably done that in seaming conditions before.

62tucker

Site Supporter
England won the toss and decided to bat first
Don’t forget 9 out of India 11 scored less than 20 runs.
Biggest mystery is why did England start with 3 fast ballers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
England won the toss and decided to bat first
Yeah was the right call but I think they were more coming at it from the point of view of hopefully being able to manipulate when they'd bat and bowl in the twilight. I don't think they were particularly thinking about the pitch disintegrating within 20 overs 😅

A good toss to lose for India in hindsight