Creaking rod

Joe C

I was fishing a maggot feeder today on local club lake catching small chub having a whale of a time.

Along comes mr carp, around 5 lb. playing the fish keeping the rod low to the water, handles it beautifully, raise the rod for netting and it’s creaking, fish eludes the net so I keep the rod in the air and it’s still making a creaking noise.

Rod is a Drennan ulatralight bomb rod. The blank says “designed for shy biting silverfish and F1s, but can handle surprisingly large fish.”

Never had a rod make the noise before, but given my track record with breaking rods (admittedly never whilst playing a fish) I just thought I would see if it’s a normal occurrence or something to be concerned about.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All my lighter rods creak a bit at times when I've got fish bigger than for what they are designed for on, is a bit disconcerting but doesn't seem to do any harm. I just ease the pressure off a little when it happens just in case.

matti

Site Supporter
Was the rod fitted together properly, if its a new rod it could just be bedding in, but, if your going to regularly be catching fish like that, i think your under gunned with that rod

R0B

Is the creaking coming from the handle? that is common with modern reel fittings and light rods.

Joe C

Was the rod fitted together properly, if its a new rod it could just be bedding in, but, if your going to regularly be catching fish like that, i think your under gunned with that rod
I’m pretty careful setting up so I think it was. I bought it with intended use for silver fish, 2 of our club lakes have no carp and they’re my target this summer. So difficult knowing when the carp are gonna rock up, thought I would be safe today on our club lake that has a few in as the water temperature is still pretty cold.

matti

Site Supporter
there a great rod, sadly now discontinued ive been told, i save mine purly for canals, and silvers only lakes, if theres any carp about ill use my vertex, i wouldnt want to rise breaking the ultra light

Cobweb

Site Supporter
A strange thing. I had a creaking issue with my newish11ft Drennan Acolyte Plus feeder rod when dealing with carp into double figures. It did not break but the noise did creep me out a little. I use a different rod now

rudd

Site Supporter
Some of the creaking is vibration from the eyes as line rubs on them.

Think Violin /cello.

RMNDIL

Does it creak when waggled ? By that I mean set it up with no reel and GENTLY flex it - shake it even ? Often the epoxy around the foot of the guides cracks. Sometimes the epoxy on the splice cracks. If it doesn't then flex it more vigorously and see if it is the epoxy glue under the DPS reel seat.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I had a Shimano Diaflash that used to creak all of the time from under the cork handle, it annoyed the life out of me, I ended up stripping all of the cork off and fitting a new handle (when I stripped the cork I found some areas that had no glue on at all), I think I used 2 whole packs of araldite on it to make sure it didn't creak again

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
In my experience most of the creaking noises a rod makes when its under tension, come from the spigot joints

I had an old Normark beachcaster that when reeling in a fish in the tide run, would make quite alarming noises, enough to make your hear flutter a bit

after a few years it quietened down as the spigot went further into the joint