Crayfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastic

The Method Man
While fishing Sunday my peg was full of crayfish. Now chatting to a friend he said why did i not bring them home to eat[:0]. Now are these edible, i dont think so but he says different. In a pot of boiling water and eat when pink lol. Also says sorts out the problem for the fishery owner-2 birds one stone lmao.

Ben.M

Yes, they are definatly edible. Where I live some people catch them in the little stream and sell them to the pub for food, if you Google it you'll probably find loads of recepies,

Ben.M

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
Crayfish are very edible, but be very very careful. Not many people can identify the native white crayfish compared to the Yanky intruders (signal crayfish). Recently legislation has been strengthened and introduced to protect our native species and the fines for taking them illegally are quite hefty.

There are examples of recent fines on the EA site. The EA will advise people seeking to trap them legally. Unless you are absolutely certain any Crayfish you land with a rod are signal crayfish, you may be safer putting them back in the water, much as it pains me to say so.

mattyts

yes keiran dont use pop ups as they cant reach them,a few months ago iyfc did a underwater sections on crayfish

Ben.M

Keiran, get 1 of these and some bacon, not much else to it

BCraw2.jpg

Ben.M

stikflote

Site Supporter
signal crayfish have red claws our native ones have white ish ones ,its the signal ones you can take ,easy to see the red on claws

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
BUT young signal crayfish can be mistaken for white crayfish at similar sizes, especially by people who have not seen them before :) I have eaten and will continue to eat any Signal Crayfish I get, I am just making sure people are aware of any problems they could face :)

Ben.M

Originally posted by keiranrussell

and just chuck it in a river?

Pretty much yes. Just attach it to a peg on the bank by a rope or something so it doesnt end up down river and leave it for a while, make sure to only keep the signal crayfish and put the native ones back if you get any,

Ben.M

P.s. I think you are ment to have permission to use it on a river but most people dont bother really :/ and I've never seen 1 of the using in a lake anyway.

Last edited:

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/118057.aspx

there is a phone number in this report keiran, ring them and they should help you find out the in's and out's :)

Ben.M

As long as the river has crayfish in then yeah :D

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=how+to+make+a+crayfish+trap&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=how+to+make+a+cray&gs_rfai=&fp=67d5d5d61e9a0270

Ben.M

rushyefc

aka kingslynn
we have loads of signals in the river lark u see the kids catching them on bacon every day your not supose to throw them back

dstev

Dave
Awful looking creatures....

Anyone actually caught one on rod and line?

J_Woody

theres thousands of them in the poplars at the oaks sessey, u need a licence to trap them ,dont get caught without one really heafty fines !

Status
Not open for further replies.