Crankbait fishing for perch and river chub

commieboy257

Account Locked
I'd like to have a go at crank bait fishing, small lures about 5cm at max, for perch in ponds and river chub or trout, primarily for perch.

In honesty I'm most likely to go a-perching, but here comes the rub.

Inevitably where there are perch there are pike, the venues I plan to fish I am positive in having pike from small jack up to who knows what.
chub most likely enountered
The rod 'weight' I was considering would handle casting such 5-15g, and this would handle I am certain every perch, most small jacks and chub/trout where I plan to fish.

Accordingly wire traces will be lightweight, but what are the ethics of fishing this way knowing a few tackle breakers are lurking?

I know a snap off with coarse gear is usually dealt with by the fish but what about the treble hook situation, even with the barbs squashed down?

I have a small shimano 4000 real and would like to keep the rod under £50, so if anyone has any recommendations on rods, trace strength etc then please chip in.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Crankbait is a disgusting American term :devilish:
You want to use a light spinning outfit...fine just use a minimum 10lb wire trace in case of pike and a similar mainline of braid or mono.

adriang

Site Supporter
check out River Piker on YouTube.. he has loads of tips, and his small river sessions are great watching.