"Cows lick" ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
General inquiry for those that might know in the husbandry-farming industry

A while back an angler took the place apart on a semi-local lake, feeding a semi-liquid through a pole cup

it turned the water white when fed in a big old cloud, it was tipped in very wet

He won so many matches, by a long way, absolutely battering those that were also fishing, including many well known names, so much so, questions were asked as to the feed, culminating in the other anglers getting the baliff and lake owners to interogate him to what he was using

he replied that it was "Cows lick" but would not provide any further information as to what this magical feed actually was,

it ended up that he was banned from fishing the gigs until he provided the recipe or showed the owners what the stuff was, it didnt seem to harm the water quality and the carp absolutely loved the stuff

it is still a mystery, so I thought I might ask on here, it could be a farmers slang name, because an internet search shows nothing for it

open to you lads ....................

nutmeg

Site Supporter
My bro used to use a mixture of liquidised bread, powdered milk and condensed milk, to feed the swim and make a white cloud.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
well i recon it has nothing to do with cows or licking lol, but as he wouldnt see i would start with any white based powder, powdered milk, baby milk rusk, horlicks etc etc

time to get a tank and start testing lol

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Just did a quick test as i do not have milk, i use skimmed milk powder in my tea!

So just mixed a tea spoon of powder and two tablespoons of water and in a 20inch deep jug the cloud created was pretty insane! even just a tea spoon went through the whole water column! even i was suprised and would be easy to add flavours/oils to it!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
As far as I'm concerned, a cow lick is a feature in someone's hair.

However, I dare say that some might call a cattle mineral/salt lick a cow lick. I can't think that anyone could use these solid blocks in bait inless it's ground up and used as a substitute for rock salt.

I suspect that this bloke's "salt lick" is just a concoction he (or someone in his circle of friends) has made and named himself. I'd guess it might be similar to the carp anglers soupy spodding cloud mixes. The cow lick name might hint at powdered/condensed milk and/or salt being in the ingredients.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think Alan Scothorne once reviewed some groundbait which was fed very wet and I think they called it TNT because Alan said it was dynamite.

The sad thing is that other anglers cannot stand to be beaten on a regular basis and to be interrogated because you are winning is shameful, IMHO.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
just tried milk and milk mixed with horlicks from left to right, Milk only, Milk and Horlicks (both were a teaspoon) and then milk and horlicks after 20seconds

did empty the jar in between milk and the milk&horlicks mix tests (took me a few minutes to post and the whole jar is now clouded without the cloud sinking to the bottom only) just in case anyone is interested

Attachments

• milk 1.jpg
    milk 1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 28
  • milk 2.jpg
    milk 2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 28
  • milk 3.jpg
    milk 3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 28

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
General inquiry for those that might know in the husbandry-farming industry

A while back an angler took the place apart on a semi-local lake, feeding a semi-liquid through a pole cup

it turned the water white when fed in a big old cloud, it was tipped in very wet

He won so many matches, by a long way, absolutely battering those that were also fishing, including many well known names, so much so, questions were asked as to the feed, culminating in the other anglers getting the baliff and lake owners to interogate him to what he was using

he replied that it was "Cows lick" but would not provide any further information as to what this magical feed actually was,

it ended up that he was banned from fishing the gigs until he provided the recipe or showed the owners what the stuff was, it didnt seem to harm the water quality and the carp absolutely loved the stuff

it is still a mystery, so I thought I might ask on here, it could be a farmers slang name, because an internet search shows nothing for it

open to you lads ....................
Condensed milk maybe , ive seen it used on youtube with blended sweetcorn .

grey

Site Supporter
cow's-slick rather than lick maybe? Evapourated milk with salt and a bit of white crumb

Zerkalo

From Hairy Ball Theorem.

"you can't comb a hairy ball flat without creating a cowlick"

One for the mathemagicians.

Simon90

Wasn't 'Cows Lick' the name used by Andrew Farley for his feed? He got banned from a few places, basically because people didn't like an eccentric turning up and battering everyone.
I don't know if the name 'Cows Lick' has anything to do with the ingredients used.
But apart from the suggestions already made has anyone ever tried the formula used for calves, sometimes known as calf milk replacer?

Total

Site Supporter
Condensed milk maybe , ive seen it used on youtube with blended sweetcorn .
I'm presuming our Mick (The Chippy) is referring to 'The Farmer' that dominated matches at Tylers Common and other nearby Essex waters a few years ago?....Given that he used to feed a lot of corn/maize (and hook baits), Your above recipe I think/reckon wouldn't be too wide of the mark. (y)

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I have rock salt for my cattle and various supplement licks, but I have never seen a white cows lick. I would think it’s calf milk powder which is given to new borns and will be pretty high in concentrates.