Covid test

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Daughter just spoke to a nurse unrelated to covid and nurse commented that she sounds rough. Daughter said she had started with a cold and nurse asked if anyone in the family had one. I have had one for the last 10 days, nurse recommended that we both have covid test. Would you have one or just say it is a cold, it did knock me for 6 last week but feel better today.

lp1886

My missus was told that a test is pointless any longer than 5 days after developing symptoms. You’ll probably be told to just self isolate.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Neither of us have temperature or any more of a cough than normal. Yes we both have reduced sense of smell and taste due to having a cold. That's why I was confused as to why we would need a test.

genesis

Account Locked
Neither of us have temperature or any more of a cough than normal. Yes we both have reduced sense of smell and taste due to having a cold. That's why I was confused as to why we would need a test.
With what you say I would think you have a simple cold. But then again if I knew what I was talking about I would be Dr. Genesis.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The missus is still waiting for her results from Sunday

tee.bee

Site Supporter
my missus went at 5pm last night got results at 7.30pm to night by text

bagpuss

Site Supporter
Because you’ve got symptons of Covid. In your case it might be too late to get tested but you both should be isolating

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Daughter has arranged a test for tomorrow. I have been out once during the last 10 days, to take partner shopping, I didn't go in the shop. This is where it is confusing as I am sure mine was a heavy cold as didn't have the temperature or more of a cough than normal (smoker).

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
This is the problem, some people have such mild symtoms and carry on thinking they have a cold or just a bit under the weather, it would be easier if everyone that contracted covid had a undeniable mark appear on there forhead a circle perhaps but they don't, and we can't just self isolate at every sneeze so the covid will keep being passed about. It's no one's fault either.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
If she tests positive I will try to arrange an antibody test. Feel guilty now that I may have had it.

bagpuss

Site Supporter
Daughter has arranged a test for tomorrow. I have been out once during the last 10 days, to take partner shopping, I didn't go in the shop. This is where it is confusing as I am sure mine was a heavy cold as didn't have the temperature or more of a cough than normal (smoker).
Having just recovered from Covid as have four other members of my family I can say that we’ve all had varying levels of infection. The one symptom we’ve all had is loss of smell and taste.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I wouldn't say I lost sense of smell or taste it was just reduced as if you had a cold. I had jobs to do in the garden so have spent most of my time there. With what I thought was a heavy cold, a couple of hours work and I was knackered so took a lot longer than it would normally.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
This is the problem, some people have such mild symtoms and carry on thinking they have a cold or just a bit under the weather, it would be easier if everyone that contracted covid had a undeniable mark appear on there forhead a circle perhaps but they don't, and we can't just self isolate at every sneeze so the covid will keep being passed about. It's no one's fault either.

if it was like that, just a bug, not a proper lurgy wouldnt that be a thing

maybe, it is and some just get a snotty nose and just carry on, no body knows do they ?

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
no, didnt say that at all

was just thinkin on or hoping it dont be as bad as we are told

myself Id settle for having it iffin it was only going to be a bad cold,

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
no, didnt say that at all

was just thinkin on or hoping it dont be as bad as we are told

myself Id settle for having it iffin it was only going to be a bad cold,
Apologies, I read it as though you thought I should have self isolated for having a cold. It would be easy if there were definitive symptoms. As it seems there are varying symptoms then I can see why it is so hard to control. I stayed home as even though I thought it a cold there was a chance it could be covid, I am in a position (redundant) that I dont work but if I was working I would have gone in.