Covid for Christmas - Some lessons learned.

Robwooly

The missus got covid and in the true festive tradition gave it to me on Xmas day although not before we got woken up by a text at first light Xmas morning confirming the results the PCR test she had to do in the next county on Xmas eve as there was none available in ours.

The weird thing is the lateral flow tests we took at home were stating we were both fine, she works for the NHS so knows what she's doing and we have plenty of test kits - but they simply aren't up to task, only when the missus was bed bound did we get the faint second line and this was only once, my tests have said I was fine all along, yeah right, and whilst I haven't taken the PCR test I full well know the result and I just wasn't getting out of bed on Xmas day to do one when I will be isolating anyway. Don't trust the lateral flow tests they are unreliable.

I also got an email from track and trace telling me NOT to self isolate despite telling them I was in contact with a covid positive person, it was all a blur at the time but I don't recall answering a question in regards whether I was in a relationship with a covid contact. Maybe I was tired after filling out the other questions, you don't think you will be focusing on selecting the right box between white british or irish traveller in such circumstances. Suffice to say I wont be heeding their advice and we WILL be self isolating until Jan 3rd, despite losing income as a result.

The messages to get a booster don't help when you actually have covid and they are now getting threatening in caps lock and whilst you have covid that is not what you want to see, neither was the message my missus got a stupid o'clock this morning when we just wanted some sleep. I'm double vaxxed and the missus triple vaxxed, our symptoms have been identical despite her extra booster. I feel like answering their GET BOOSTED NOW texts with WE HAVE, THEY DON'T WORK. Although I get the science and the reasoning behind it I am losing faith and am becoming ever more sceptical. We're now getting messages saying you can come out of isolation after passing several lateral flow tests but as we know they don't work that's not much help to anyone.

Despite being mild it's still pretty awful, shivers and cold sweats, getting through two litres of water every night, not sleeping and muscle pains that feel like you're being stabbed and headaches like no other, then you turn on the news to see if there's any advice as to what to eat or drink but everything is about stopping others getting it and not the care involved for those who do have it and on that note we lost two more relatives to Alzheimers and Sepsis over Xmas, to see the sad news of Mick passing away too leaves you numb when you go on here for the first time in ages, it really has been a bad crimbo.

If it's any help we know who we caught it off who was symptomless at the time and despite being in the same room others haven't caught it so the best thing we have learned is to avoid close contact and/or wear a mask, do not trust the lateral flow tests and turn off your phone as you will get annoying texts when you are trying to sleep from gov.uk, paracetamol and drinking loads of water seems to help as does watching decent TV and not rolling news and don't be proud and ask a friend or relative to do some essential shopping for you.

I know it's another annoying covid thread but if it helps anyone it's job done, I'm off to check how many points I've lost on super 6 and Fantasy Football so must be feeling a bit better, then it's back to bed. (y)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
One of my staff tested positive (with symptoms) on 22nd. She's had texts off track & trace, saying her isolation ends at midnight on 1st Jan.
I thought isolation rules had been reduced to 7 days, as long as you have two negative lft's

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Robwooly mate. Exactly the same here. Exactly. My lateral flow tests were negative but, like you my missus works for the NHS so ‘ forced ‘ me to go for a PCR test. Which came back positive. And then the shitty text messages from T & T started. I said it earlier in a thread I started …. I could not understand why T & T told me not to isolate. 🤷‍♂️ What ? Do these people really know what they are doing ? I’m positive ffs. I’m isolating. 🙄🤷‍♂️ Bloody idiots.

Saying that ….. A massive thumbs up to the PCR test staff. Extremely polite, professional and caring. In and out in no time. Well done PCR test team in Thorne, Doncaster. 👍

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Lft's are a joke. My nephew was in contact with someone on xmas eve who then tested positive on xmas day. Nephew did an Lft negative. Went to work and did another lft, faint C line positive. He came home but had no lft kits so came to us. I gave him 2, 1st one negative 2nd one positive faint C line both within 20 minutes of each other.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was a bit rough before Xmas, sore throat, cough, which is unusual, I’m rarely ill, did an LFT it was negative, so no idea if I had it or not, guess I’ll never know now.

Billy the fish 1954

Had covid last Christmas bad experience have had a booster in October but still getting texts asking to go for boosters ffs, what a shambles we are in

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I suppose in reality to filter the national health service database prior to sending texts so they just reach those that haven't been boosted/jabbed would take massive server resources, run the risk of crashing the database (s), and still not be fully up to date even if it was possible.
Much simpler just to send a message out to all.

If you receive a reminder and you've already had the jabs/boosters, just ignore it - unless it's come directly from your GP's surgery

62tucker

Site Supporter
When son and daughter had covid the LFT were spot on. Theirs were positive for 5 days and mine were always negative.
Just a thought. If Omicron is deemed to be less of risk and milder. Could that be a reason for not working as well on the LFT

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Dave is right - it's quicker and cheaper to send a message to everyone about getting a booster. And remember that fewer people are now in work at the NHS because of Covid. Compared with what has happened in other countries (and what has happened in the past) I think the authorities have done a fantastic job. But I am a realist and have seen enough of life to know that no system is ever perfect.

BTMS

Site Supporter
When son and daughter had covid the LFT were spot on. Theirs were positive for 5 days and mine were always negative.
Just a thought. If Omicron is deemed to be less of risk and milder. Could that be a reason for not working as well on the LFT
Good point. Daughter was the same two negative tests until she had the PCR test then it was positive

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

Long shot but, I wonder if these conflicting results we are all getting are from how the tests have been stored ? How we ( the public ) are storing them or …. The age of some of these kits 🤔. Just a thought.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
How are you and yours now Mick?:unsure:

Getting there slowly pal. Stopped coughing as much which is a big plus. Just wish I could shake this sodding tiredness off. Everything I do leaves me knackered. Missus is coming on leaps and bounds which I’m happy about. She’s had it a lot worse than I have. She tested positive again this morning which she’s not happy about but ( and it is a big but ) the positive line is getting fainter if that’s anything to go by. 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for asking Mark. Appreciate that.

PS ……. My taste and smell never left me but, my allergy towards sweeping brushes hasn’t changed one bit. 🤣🤣

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Have had 3 of my (11) godchildren with positive LFT’s between 23 & 26 Dec - all older ones over 22 - and all 3 had subsequent positive PCR’s

It’s been a very isolated zoomy and whatsappy Christmas for them and their families

We’ve done (negative) LFTs this afternoon before visiting Lou’s dad who is very vulnerable having had multiple heart surgeries and we just don’t want to risk taking something there

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have had 3 of my (11) godchildren with positive LFT’s between 23 & 26 Dec - all older ones over 22 - and all 3 had subsequent positive PCR’s

It’s been a very isolated zoomy and whatsappy Christmas for them and their families

We’ve done (negative) LFTs this afternoon before visiting Lou’s dad who is very vulnerable having had multiple heart surgeries and we just don’t want to risk taking something there

Very responsible of you pal. Respect. 👍

Chervil

Site Supporter
Don’t be starting another conspiracy Dave. You’ll be telling me next there’s no such thing as covid. 🤣🤣🤣.
QSIoyI.gif