Couriers

Lcn

There’s been threads before on couriers but normally naming Hermes who I’ve never had a problem with but I’ve bought 2 things in the last couple of weeks that haven’t turned up on time from fed ex and dhl . The first parcel was meant to turn up last Saturday to Monday and fed ex text me on Sunday and again on Monday morning to say it was being delivered Monday . Waited in all day and it never showed and when I checked the tracking the driver claimed he’d been and nobody was in and he’d left a card which was a lie . Both the mrs and me were in all day and at the time he claimed he came I was literally 4 ft from my front door cleaning my car and he drove straight past without even slowing down . It did eventually turn up a couple of days later after I’d asked the shop to chase it up . Yesterday I ordered one of the new £150 penn mag 4’s , next day delivery. Dhl tracking said it would be delivered today but on checking this morning it said there’s a delay and we will aim to deliver on the next working day . I’m just hoping the delay is not code for we’ve lost it but I’m not holding my breath . Been looking online and it seems both companies have plenty of form for doing this and in future I’ll not be buying from shops that use these 2 as couriers because I’ve neither the time or money to waste waiting in for them to not turn up .

NickNewman

DHL are terrible. My whisker from Tackleuk had been missing for 4 weeks, and im now waiting for them to investigate. Diabolical

Lcn

I messaged them on Facebook and they eventually messaged back apologising and said it’s still in the Bournemouth depot but should be moved tonight and delivered Monday . I have little faith they’ll actually do it though . If it’s not here for Tuesday I’ll request a refund through eBay and let the shop sort it out

Gaz9243

Site Supporter
I recently sent a double oven via fedex to a customer. FedEx have lost the parcel, and I’ve had to refund the customer. I’ve been waiting a week to get the money Back off them. Unfortunately the phones are a bit iffy, so it’s all being done via email

Lcn

I didn’t think anyone was as bad as yodel but these 2 are terrible , just checking Facebook or online reviews should have businesses avoiding them like the plague . They must deliver a lot of parcels everyday but the sheer amount of negative feedback suggests there’s a good percentage that are either late , lost or stolen . The fed ex one was annoying because I was outside when the van came up the street and I thought nice one my parcels here but he never even slowed down and when I checked the tracking it said he attempted delivery at 5.34pm and customer was unavailable

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve found DPD the best but expensive if I’m the one sending. Hermes are fine and also cheap. UPS are good. APC are good.

The worst are definitely Yodel. I dread it when I find out something has been sent with them.

I think a lot depends on your local driver. Our Hermes guy is great but I’ve heard people in other areas say they are rubbish.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I think it’s just pot luck dependant on what your local depot & driver are like. I’ve only ever had 1 parcel delayed for a significant period of time which was a rod from Cadence. They sent out a replacement rod & the original turned up about 6 weeks later!

jods

Site Supporter
Had a delivery from DPD the other day when i was at work. The driver phoned me and left the parcel where i asked him to. (y)(y)

Lcn

Hermes round here are spot on , never had any issues at all with them but Fed ex and dhl have joined yodel on the list of companies I’ll avoid and if I know the shop I’m looking at buying from uses them I’ll not buy from there even if they’re cheaper

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
It's very hit and miss round here. Can't say any one is better or worse that the other (except the one local guy Sean, who, is brilliant).

However, Amazon have got a lot worse lately - just drop the package at the door and don't even ring the doorbell. Just lucky we happened to see the parcel before anyone else.

The courier companies put the drivers under huge pressure on hours and productivity so I don't suppose we should be surprised if some start cutting corners to keep up. It'd be interesting to see some undercover reporters having a go at being a driver to see how bad things really are.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
still awaiting on a parcel of polo shirts that were due for 48hr delivery on weds

sender hasnt included a tracking number so cant check up owt about it

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have not had any problems with hermes, if you are not in the driver leaves his mobile number and a message asking to text a time when you will be in. Also had no problems with UPS. For me the worst is either DHL or the post office who only seem to do a parcel delivery in our area on a Monday and Thursday

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I agree it probably depends on the driver. I’ve had parcels not delivered, texts saying you were out, no card left from parcel force who are usually spot on. I complained and they said they’d raise it as a training issue with the driver. Touch wood I haven’t had many problems with any for the most part but my parents don’t rate Hermes for their eBay business.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I had an item (landing net) say it was delivered and it was tracked. We never found the net, and never got a refund as it was tracked Royal mail. Just this week DHL told me the item had been delivered, but the seller was honest and told me they did not show up on his system as delivered. They turned up two days later Friday, so they lied to me. Its a horrible time to post items, I always track and sign for now anything, and insure any fishing gear I'm selling. You just ahem to add it on the price and hope the buyer understands.

Lcn

For me the worst is either DHL or the post office who only seem to do a parcel delivery in our area on a Monday and Thursday
Funnily enough Monday is the day they’ve said they will now deliver

rudd

Site Supporter
My local hermes guy is top notch - the rest are hit and miss tbh including royal mail/parcelforce