Council Tax Letter

Chervil

Site Supporter
Had a letter yesterday from something called the 'Valuation Office Agency' about our council tax. The letter said it was based in Hull. However the back of the envelope had an address in Doncaster on it and it was also only addressed to 'The Council Tax Payer'.
It said that the tax for our property had been miss calculated since Oct 2000 (we have been her since 2010) and we should be in the band below.
Reading through it, I thought it was a scam and somewhere there would be a 'If you send us your bank details we will refund your money'.

Anyhow. My good lady checked the bank account and we had, had a couple of quid short of £4000 deposited in it, plus our council tax has dropped by £400 a year.
And there was me telling her it looked like a scam...

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Result.

This is one of those things that make sense. If it was genuine they wouldn't need your details, they would already have them. But you did the right thing to be suspicious.

If I were you I'd write back to them to say thanks but point out that the letter looks like a scam for the address/lack of name reasons given. You never know it might help them improve the process in the future.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
It is interesting how the senders of genuine letters, texts and emails never seem to realise that their communication may be ignored and treated as scams.

Over recent months I have had texts and emails from "HMRC" about paying tax owed. I have ignored them because I don't owe any tax. Everything for me is PAYE.

It turns out that it is my son who owes tax on the profit from renting a house out. I look after his tax return as he admits he doesn't understand it all. So HMRC have my contact details. Until last year the tax was collected through his tax code. That suddenly stopped without warning as I have now discovered. He has never had a demand as such that made it clear he needed to pay a lump sum.

Now paid and I am waiting for a reply to my letter of complaint.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chervil, just in case it is a scam quickly transfer it out of the account so they can't instigate a charge-back or reversal - I'll forward you my bank details for the transfer and safe keeping ;)

Chervil

Site Supporter
Chervil, just in case it is a scam quickly transfer it out of the account so they can't instigate a charge-back or reversal - I'll forward you my bank details for the transfer and safe keeping ;)
You would do that? Do you know what, It's the little gestures like that, that give me hope.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Don't ya just hate it when people gloat :ROFLMAO:

Nice result there Cherv and a great start to the New Year (y)