Council housing

Dusty

Asking on behalf of the MIL.

MIL has a mortgage on her current property, 3 bed large terraced house. All but 1 of her kids have left home and she doesn’t want to live in such a big property anymore.

She works but doesn’t earn much money and has about 5-10 years left on her mortgage.
She would like to move into a council bungalow.

When she sells her house she will receive about 60k from the sale in equity, would having this amount of money prevent her from renting a council property? Can anyone rent a council property regardless of their capital and income?

ta

dusty

Dicka

Asking on behalf of the MIL.

MIL has a mortgage on her current property, 3 bed large terraced house. All but 1 of her kids have left home and she doesn’t want to live in such a big property anymore.

She works but doesn’t earn much money and has about 5-10 years left on her mortgage.
She would like to move into a council bungalow.

When she sells her house she will receive about 60k from the sale in equity, would having this amount of money prevent her from renting a council property? Can anyone rent a council property regardless of their capital and income?

ta

dusty
You got to go on the council housing list be for you can get a council house,and to get a council bungalow is not easy i no some people have been on the housing list for over 10 years wanting a bungalow,

emmaemma

Site Supporter
In my town, there are council houses but also housing associations that rent out houses at a similar price.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Best to look at Housing Associations rather than Council. My mother sold a flat in London and moved into a Housing Association flat in Northamptonshire. Invested the sale proceeds to produce an income to help pay the rent. No questions asked as far as I know about financial situation.

Silver fan 82

All depends if the benefit stealers or immigrants get there before her. That's how it is round this way anyway.

Dusty

Cheers gents.
I called earlier to check and her finances wouldn’t be an issue but due to her situation she wouldn’t high priority for housing which is what I expected and is fair enough ?