Could do with some advice on new centrepin please

Status
Not open for further replies.

shonkyboy

Hi all, i was just wondering if anyone could offer a bit of advice on centrepins. I have just received my new Youngs BJ Lightweight (after a few months of saving!).

Although i have an Okuma Aventa, i thought i would treat myself and upgrade as i had got quite used to that and liked using it. There seems to be 2 chains of thoughts on line lay on centrepins. i was told that the line coming off from the top is the best although some people say that it is better off the bottom - does anyone know which way is best - and what are the advantages of both?

Also - the spool is 1" and quite deep compared to the the Aventa , what would be the best type of line to put on and how much would you suggest?
I have also seen some docs on the subject where people put backing line on these first - anoyone got any comments or thoughts on this.

I will mostly be using this on the river for chub and barbel (not carp in the margins as some people do). It would be great to hear from anyone who uses one of these (or similar) on a regular basis for any tips etc. I would also be interested if anyone has a Ray Walton Rolling pin and what they think of that.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

The_Sogster

Stick and 'Pin
Hi Chris, having the line exit the reel from the top or bottom is really down to personal preference. I'm a bottom man myself [;)]
But it will certainly alter the method used for casting.

As for line will you be ledgering or using a float? For float work my preference is Drennan floatfish with usually around 60 yards on the reel.

Minipeace

Hi Chris, having the line exit the reel from the top or bottom is really down to personal preference. I'm a bottom man myself
But it will certainly alter the method used for casting.

As for line will you be ledgering or using a float? For float work my preference is Drennan floatfish with usually around 60 yards on the reel.

Spot on[:)]I'm a bottom man too[:D]

The most line I've ever put on my pins was 100mtrs but you really only need 50 mtrs. To much line and it starts to bed its self in on the other line sometimes made worse by heavy lines and big fish. I've used the preston and daiwa high tech light match lines at 100 mtrs and never had a problem due to their thin diameters. If you're after the larger and harder fighting fish then 100mtrs of say 12lb or 15lb say for piking then you might get bedding in problems as the spool is filled to a greater depth due to line diameter and the hard pulling from the fight increases the strain/pulling onto and into the line on the spool if you follow me.

The Ray walton pin is very nice and again made by youngs. You can turn the pin to allow you to cast out in an easier fashion. My father use to have an adaptorcast (think I've spelt it right) adaptor that did the same so its not a new idea. You have to remove the line guard though for this and it helps if you have a shallow spool to aid the line leaving the spool.Rays pin I believe has no line guard fitted. I've not got one but those who have speak highly about them and to be honest all youngs pins are well made, its just the increase in cost compared to the others that you have to take into account. I've a couple of purists along with some older pins and they are fab and the build quality is very good.

Lots of ways to cast be it by pulling the line out by hand or coiling the line or a gentle twist of the wheel when you cast depending on rod and weight. Very hard to learn if you are new but I love my pins and if you boat fish they are great. Thread line reels knocked them for 6 when it cames to casting but for control I feel much more at home with them.

The basic brake system can help with overruns when casting out and can also help if floating to control the drag. The youngs tend to be a fine setting brake where my old Grice and Young pin has a firmer brake which was a better reel for my piking.

As for backing line I've never done it and to be honest can't see why you would want to. Used backing line on thread line reels some years back but not now.

I tend to use the check on and off, thats the click click click and the quiet mode setting which is the lever on the back of the pin, the rachet if you wish.You can have it off to retrieve line quicker by tapping the drum when retrieving line.For casting I turn the check off as well and put it back on if I'm ledgering once i have casted out. It really depends on where and how you fish though.

To play a fish i use my thumb as the drag and rest it on the rim of the pin. So its my right hand holding the reel and rod and my thumb on the same hand resting on the rim of the pin if that makes sense. Its amasing just how smooth the action is. Same applies for floating too.

As for types of line well i've used lots over the years and its really down to the line you like. There is no special line for pins or a line that works best on them. I quite like maxima line.
You don't get line twist either.

Nowadays pins for most represent barbel and chubing if you look at some forums but its just an old style reel used to catch bleak to pike. They are well worth trying even if its just for carp as they are great fun. Watch the handles though!!

Last edited:

shonkyboy

Cheers Sogster (ill be using it mostly for stick float work )- on the Nidd, Swale and Wharfe - Barbel, Chub, Dace and what not.
I haven't perfected the Wallis Cat yet - but i have seen the videos - i just draw the line though the first 2 or 3 eyes and hope for the best!!
The main concerns were the line bedding in as Minipeace said ( thabks for your lenghthy reply!! - well appreciated :)) and the best type of line to use. I actually swapped the reel from the origional John Wilson Heritage - which advertised in both website and the literature with the reel as having a "multi position lineguard" but apparentley - they have changed the design recently - although the new reel literature does not reflect that!
Masterlines site needs seriously sorting out !! - I am a web designer and tend to pick up on these things - although my dog Milo would see it before them!!!
I hope we see a renewed interest in c-pin fishing as it gives you a 1-1 on the fish and i think it's fantasic!!

shonkyboy

sorry minipeace for not commenting more on youe excellent comments - but the missus just accosted me for how much i spent on the reel :-(

shonkyboy

One word of advice from a seasoned serial fishing equipment buyer - if it's in you holdall/box/bag - she won't find it - if you leave MD open - say to go to the pub across the road for instance - she can google search to see how much it cost!!!!!!!
Oh Dear!!

Minipeace

I hope we see a renewed interest in c-pin fishing as it gives you a 1-1 on the fish and i think it's fantasic!!

So do I [:)]

One word of advice from a seasoned serial fishing equipment buyer - if it's in you holdall/box/bag - she won't find it - if you leave MD open - say to go to the pub across the road for instance - she can google search to see how much it cost!!!!!!!
Oh Dear!!

Woops[:)] I feel the need of a rather large bouquet of roses is required[:D]

shonkyboy

or a spade and a new patio!
But for who???!!!
Anyway - we've gone off the inital subject with my rantings ;-)

gibby

A use a 'pin for nearly all my fishing and hope the following is helpful.

I always fish with the line on top of the reel as if you have it on the bottom, it tends to be affected by high winds. Nor do you need much 'line on a pin, say 50 metres max. Too much and you will find the line beds, making smooth trotting difficult. Nor do you need backing line.

Learn the wallis cast if you can, its very satisfying once you have mastered it. However, don't get too precious about it. You can get enough distance by pulling loops of line off between the second, third and fourth rings.

Enjoy the reel. I mmst have around ten 'pins, an Okuma Aventa, a Shakespeare Lincoln, my laste dad's old Trudex and seven other old faithfuls picked up at jumble sales and boot fairs. Use 'em for nearly everything except spinning for pike. Nothing gives you better control over a float or when playing a fish. Like wine they improve with age and unlike fixed spools reels have 'soul' - can't say exactly why, there is just something about 'em.

shonkyboy

cheers for that gibby. I did hear though that for the wallis cast if I did want to do it and learn it, its better for the line to come off the bottom - is that right?

gibby

Hi shonkyboy

I found it doesn't make much difference. What you need to do with the Wallis cast, is to give the reel a slight flick to get it revolving and you can do this irrespective of how your line is loaded. If you have more than one 'pin try it on both and see which you find easiest.

stikflote

Site Supporter
it takes a bit of learning to wallis cast if you spin the reel, i always have my line coming off the bottom. Gibby i know and see a lot of folk now useing a pin it seems its a fashion thing but i never yet seen anyone with line coming off the top
i also its an unnatural way of batting the reel a quick count of lads in my club who use a pin 8 all line on bottom

Minipeace

It is funny how they are a fashion item now but then again not many were brought up using them where I was by my father. So I think anglers like to try something different and it keeps the manufacturers going. If no one brought them then they might well go and we would not be so lucky to have a choice of buying them.
I think its hard to say there's a right or wrong way of using them, the secret to all tackle is enjoyment and fun and Gibby has just that with his pin.
I've never seen others fish from the top but as long as the method fits your way then its fine and all part of the fun at the end of the day.

Just to add a little more on the Ray Walton reel. The mkii version is out and has been altered a little from what I have read. It seems the spool is shallower than the first version and this is to aid casting which I made reference to on my first post.
New thicker hub with two ball bearings, new handles, new universal reel seat/rod plate,stronger ratchet spring and lever. Its also a little lighter along with a few more mods which have improved it further.
Only ever met Ray once at a Wasing AGM and he was a very nice guy who had time for a chat. If it were me then I would buy the pin even if it is a little more in pounds than the others and I would think Ray would earn a bit from it. Why not, a nice guy like him deserves too.

Ducktape

Would love a Youngs Bob James, so I'm very envious. I had a play around with alot of centrepins recently, at a visit to a very good tackle shop, and the difference in quality was staggering. Some were absolutely horrendous, and others were just fantastic. The two that really took my fancy though, were the BJ, The Purist, and the Okuma Sheffield. They ran very well, and seemed very well put together. I just don't think I would look after the Sheffield the way I would the BJ, and although I couldn't justify the price difference, I think the thought that I should have....would always be nagging in the back of my head. I do think you need to try them all before you make your mind up, and go for the one you want, regardless of price.

bigdavewsf

Originally posted by shonkyboy

sorry minipeace for not commenting more on youe excellent comments - but the missus just accosted me for how much i spent on the reel :-(

do what i do and get the shop to put another price ticket on before going home, you would be amazed at the bargains ive had over the years[;)]

Simon R

Site Supporter
Just to add to the list ........ I'm also a bottom man [:p]

With the line coming off the top you've got to batt 'backwards' to retreive and it just doesn't feel right.

Mines one of the big Leeds reels from some place down south, bought it at the NEC fishing show four or five years ago ...... was about 60 I think. It spins forever and improves with age.

I've got about 80 yards of line on mine, but it's got a wide spool so I don't get too many problems with the line bedding in. I need plenty of line though - there's one swim on the Swale at Catterick where I sometmes trot 40-50 yards (needs a chubber with a fat top and good eyesight[:p])

Simon

gibby

Seems I'm outnumbered here lads! Guess it all comes down to preference, my dad loaded his line coming off the top and I suppose its what I'm used to.

Talking about the Leeds reels, because they have a wide spool, you can load two different breaking strain lines on the one reel. Just wind one line on one side, the other adjacent to it, and secure with a wide rubber band. Looks clumsy but it works. I have three and six pound line on mine. Saves carying two reels, and means that if fishing for silvers, you can scale up for tench, chub or middling carp if necessary (or vice versa).

rockland

Hi Mate I also use a leeds reel with the line comming from the top, and also put about 40 or so yards of line on in a slightly larger thickness than you would normally use on a open face reel. Helps the current pull the line off reel. sometimes the line will twist on its self and try its hardest to wrap round reel the seat but this is only major when a face wind prevails.And ,anyway, a wind of that magnitude is undesirable for the stick anyway. I find it helps to use a line with a low memory and the best i have found is STROFT wnich is a bit pricey but you are only using short lengths of it.You will derive much satisfaction from the method and stick with it, no nicer way to fish...tight lines chaps

Status
Not open for further replies.