Cough.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening men, as I approach seventy I feel I have aged reasonably well. I have always looked fairly young
but my jowls have decided to move south and that is the end of any youthfulness. Whilst I don`t mind being
a miserable looking ugly old git I have a problem that is driving me mad.
Me and the missis often look after grandkids who seem to have permanent colds, not too bothered about
the colds but they always end up with a hacking cough. They end up lasting weeks and leave me weak and
and debilitated through lack of sleep, even gallons of benylyn only give short relief. I honestly believe if I
had three colds on the bounce it will kill me {twice on the bounce nearly did}.
Chemists only try to sell you something and doctors say there is nothing they can do other than the usual
off the shelf stuff. If anyone on this site can give me some advice on how to negate a cough you will have
my eternal gratitude, thank you gentlemen.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A cough is generally as a result of some irritation to the lungs.
It could be something as simple as change the washing powder being used, dust mites, even spray deodorants and air fresheners can cause ongoing coughs

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My doc told me that if a cough lasts more than a couple of weeks the infection will have finished but the irritation remains so anti histamines will provide more relief....

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
For me when I have a cough I need a suppressant, normally some alcohol or something that slows you down a bit like night nurse but obviously this is only relevant to night time.

Oh, a friend had a recurring cough for about a year, never saw a doctor then had pneumonia and nearly left us.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Thank you gentlemen, I understand night nurse is strong stuff but got to be worth a try. Got honey got jif {no not the bathroom cleaner
clever dick!} so will give that a bash tonight.

John Step

Site Supporter
Kids will spread cold germs far and wide by not washing hands after snotting on tissues and leaving a trail of infection on door handles etc.
There was a study I read about that said there were less germs to trap the unwary when we had metal as opposed to plastic door handles.
The zinc (like silver) in the handles inhibits germs.

Have you ever been in the gents at a supermarket when you hear someone rustling the toilet paper in a cubicle then exiting without washing wands.
They then proceed to grab the trolly handle and continue shopping. Nice for the next person to use the trolly?
Fancy the shites anyoneone?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Pholcodine linctus is what you need. Any chemist own brand is same as the major one. Same active ingredient

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Cold shower.
I started turning the shower to cold after I’d shower and standing under it for 60sec. Never had a cold for 2yr or doing it. For some reason I just stopped around November and the beginning of December I broke out in a cold which is still on going, this week has been the worst. As soon as it’s gone I’m back in the cold showers.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It might sound daft but make sure the parents are happy with you administering any cough treatments. Regardless if you are the grandfather, they might not take kindly to it, just saying ;)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If the cough comes after a cold try to steer clear of people with colds (easier said than done with grandkids ). Do you have flu jabs ? Free, so if they don't work, it's cost nothing. Sounds ridiculous, but what about a face mask when the grandkids are about, decorate it and scare the cr4p out of them.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Kids will spread cold germs far and wide by not washing hands after snotting on tissues and leaving a trail of infection on door handles etc.
There was a study I read about that said there were less germs to trap the unwary when we had metal as opposed to plastic door handles.
The zinc (like silver) in the handles inhibits germs.

Have you ever been in the gents at a supermarket when you hear someone rustling the toilet paper in a cubicle then exiting without washing wands.
They then proceed to grab the trolly handle and continue shopping. Nice for the next person to use the trolly?
Fancy the shites anyoneone?
Had that, in the toilet in a restaurant just before Christmas. Young chap in the cubicle, obviously having a dump. I was washing my hands, walked straight out and back to his young lady at their table.

Last edited:

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I only get colds and coughs when stuck in the house. Fishing in all weathers and nothing. I believe ( in my head anyway) that open windows and no or low central hearing are the way forward

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Dave, I would not dream of administering anything to my grandkids, I`m the poor sod that needs medicine.

JStep, many years ago a much older railwayman told me to use a disinfectant wipe on the cab controls when taking over, when
you consider the number of door handles and other stuff that railwayman touch this was sound advice. The number of colds dropped
like a stone.

Tricky, some may say I need a mask regardless.

Tuck, pholcodine, will check it out.

The honey and jif was quite pleasant.

Mr Barry S

My stepfather was an ex RAF nav plotter, flew in Lancasters. As a kid I once had this dreadfull cough / cold and he made me a "hot rum toddy", I have no clue how he made it and yes, I was about 14 or so and it did contain Rum but bye god, it worked

stephenk

Site Supporter
Prevention is better than cure...

Dissolving vitamin c tablet with zinc - one a day.

Be aware though they make your pee orange....

Gaz9243

Site Supporter
sucking marshmallows helps with a cough. Doesn’t cure it, but helps the throat massively