cost of a new driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaguar71

The Kit Master
We are looking to have a new drive put down, My wife doesnt know if she would like tarmac or block paving, I suspect she would like the block paving done, I am looking to extend the drive width ways so will need to take a small amount of grass and a flowered border out and also would need a small retaining wall put up (no more than 2 feer high and around 20 ft long), total amount of area needed to be blocked would be around 35 to 40 SQ yards, has anyone got any ideas on approx cost, I did read that the price would be somewhere around the 70 - 75 per sq yard, I need to get a few people in for a quote but have had a few health problems in the past couple of weeks so havent got around to it, Thanks for any info

Cooky

We got ours free when the council were doing the others they thought ours was council also

the wife told the workman when she got in from shopping and he said to late now its done

pegasus

benny
there`s a gang of to be politicaly correct i`ll call them irish travellers, they will do your drive for 200 quid sir

bluntbaby

Originally posted by pegasus

there`s a gang of to be politicaly correct i`ll call them irish travellers, they will do your drive for 200 quid sir

The same ones who have been doing a drive 'just up the road' and happen to have some tarmac left over?

master_baiter

i have just had my entire front of the house done with pattern imprinted concrete, 50m square area, 2600. which was a great price, some companies wanted 5 - 6 grand to do the same job.

and i must say that it looks fantastic, no problems with staining or weeds now.

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Originally posted by pegasus

And can do it with one barrowfull of tarmac to help keep the costs down. [;)] [:C]

Harry.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Harry you might jest but believe it or not it's a challenge to see who can get the thinnest coat - it's called Skimming

Also, as well as tarmac'ing they also do very cheap imprinted concrete drives and I've seen thr good, bad and ugly ones. The really cheap ones use cheaper grades of concrete a sprinkling of dye to get the colour and a wash of sealant to make it nice and shiny, generally over a poor sub-base.
These have a tendency to look good tostart with but then discolour, fade and crack, even lose the top layer as the concrete starts to break down.
The better ones use a fibre reinforced concrete

The best advice if you are looking at getting a drive done is to go on recommendation. Ask around, or even knock on the doors of drive owners that you know have had done a while back and still look good, most people won't mind telling you who did it.
Don't use the door to door salesmen and don't get it done purely on price alone

delk

Originally posted by Dave

Harry you might jest but believe it or not it's a challenge to see who can get the thinnest coat - it's called Skimming

Also, as well as tarmac'ing they also do very cheap imprinted concrete drives and I've seen thr good, bad and ugly ones. The really cheap ones use cheaper grades of concrete a sprinkling of dye to get the colour and a wash of sealant to make it nice and shiny, generally over a poor sub-base.
These have a tendency to look good tostart with but then discolour, fade and crack, even lose the top layer as the concrete starts to break down.
The better ones use a fibre reinforced concrete

The best advice if you are looking at getting a drive done is to go on recommendation. Ask around, or even knock on the doors of drive owners that you know have had done a while back and still look good, most people won't mind telling you who did it.
Don't use the door to door salesmen and don't get it done purely on price alone
to right sorry to anyone who has it but i think this imprint stuff is cr*p looks cr*p full stop.my brother had it, it looked cr*p to me but great to him but he went for the cheeper price and yep you got it that old saying (you only get what you pay for) colour is fading after a year, and my self cheep old tarmac only because the price seemed to good to miss so yep had it all ripped up an done again costing more in the end

newboyjohnny

a quick word of warning thou with the imprited driveways, when they are wet the are bloomin dangerous, so if you parents neighbours are unsteady on their feet think again

glyn

I might do the mother inlaws drive with imprinted concrete before winter

master_baiter

we lmy driveway i thought was cheap compared to some quotes i had, they used fibre re-enforced concrete dug own about a foot and a half one hell of a load of hardcore was then added and pounded flat for a good footing then about a good 4 inches of concrete on top. and in all the rain last week it was not slippery at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.