Corruption in Boxing

BBear

Site Supporter
Can someone name these corrupt judges and out them?
The authorities (not boxing) need to check for betting irregularities and check the judges bank accounts for any payments received.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
The authorities (not boxing) need to check for betting irregularities and check the judges bank accounts for any payments received.
That is a very good point ........ the attitude seems to have always been "oh well its boxing and subjective so these things happen " .............. but the truth is it is fraud and corruption on a massive scale which needs dealing with.

BBear

Site Supporter
That is a very good point ........ the attitude seems to have always been "oh well its boxing and subjective so these things happen " .............. but the truth is it is fraud and corruption on a massive scale which needs dealing with.
Agreed, there are enough people out there who want to ban boxing without this sort of thing.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Just watched the full fight now. What an absolute injustice makes you feel so angry. Catterall must be a broken man today he's put everything into the last 3yrs. All respect is now lost for Taylor, how he stood there and justified his win was beyond belief. :mad::mad:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
According to sky sports the BBC are looking into the result .
(No not auntie beeb)
I think it's the BBBoC not the BBC

BarryS

Gone fishing
Did anybody else watch the world title fight last night between Jack Caterall and Josh Taylor last night ?

I watched it .........all the ringside experts had Caterall miles ahead.....some saying it was a masterclass in boxing. Seemed to me he had won ...Very strange decision. At the end, Taylor's body language said he knew he had lost.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I do know that nutmeg.

There have been lots of fights where the blatant winner has lost on the judges scorecards.....controvercial.
Did you see the fight, if you did then you would know that the controversial result was engimeered by the judges and not the boxers.

banksitter

Stewpot.
Site Supporter
Did anybody else watch the world title fight last night between Jack Caterall and Josh Taylor last night ? I follow boxing on a casual basis as one of my favourite spectator sports and over the years have seen plenty of dubious decisions . Last night however was the final straw for me disillusioning me completely with the clear corruption involved . I accept that judges scorecards are to an extent subjective and often I admit I would have difficulty picking a winner either way but surely there could be no question of who won that fight . Catterall outboxed Taylor from he first bell and scored a knockdown ..... the verdict from every pundit watching was a comprehensive win for Catterall the lowest margin being by 5 rounds some by as many as seven yet Taylor got the decision . Three former world champions commentating all openly stated on air they were ashamed to be part of the sport . It seems there is no official independent overseeing of this sport in spite of the millions of pounds involved and one would think an expectation from the general public they are watching a fair contest . I personally have never seen such a blatent display of corruption in any sport . The only three people who thought Taylor won were Taylor and two of the judges in the split decision . Perhaps there are some on here who watched it and see it differently I'd be interested to hear . By the way I have no axe to grind in terms of wanting one or the other to win ... I actually had never heard of Catterall before the fight and have great respect for Taylor as a world class operator and undisputed champion .
I doubt that any sport involving money is honest.

davylad

Site Supporter
A good friend of mine was a Pro boxer, (Journeyman) and in fact I think he won more heavyweight fights than anyone else in Britain. The problem was, he lost more too. He fought in Nigeria at very short notice once, and got threatened that his throat would be slit if he won. When I asked him if he won, he said "What do you think" Tony Booth, look him up as there's a cracking documentary on him. Youtube it might be on. There's always been corruption in boxing, just like horse racing, football etc etc, anywhere where there's money involved.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
A good friend of mine was a Pro boxer, (Journeyman) and in fact I think he won more heavyweight fights than anyone else in Britain. The problem was, he lost more too. He fought in Nigeria at very short notice once, and got threatened that his throat would be slit if he won. When I asked him if he won, he said "What do you think" Tony Booth, look him up as there's a cracking documentary on him. Youtube it might be on. There's always been corruption in boxing, just like horse racing, football etc etc, anywhere where there's money involved.
He didn't end up in a good place did he. Few years in nick.

davylad

Site Supporter
Yeah he did the crime, put his hand up and did the time Geoff. I've not seen him for a while, but hopefully he's still on the straight and narrow, which I'm sure he will be.