Correcting Line Lay On A Reel

robinta

Hi folks.

I'd posted on another thread about issues I was having with my Daiwa Ninja 4000 LT, where line goes under the spool and causes no end of grief.

I'd considered changing the line for another brand, but consensus seemed to be its as good as it gets.

I'd read other threads about the reel on MD, and it seemed plenty others had the same issue, whereas others didn't. I really love the reel apart from this problem, but was very close to pulling the plug and buying something else.. Then I saw one post (I'm sorry I can't remember from which member) with a diagram showing if the spool has more line towards the bottom than top, it can cause the problem.

Sure enough, that's what I've got. It definitely has a taper towards the lip of the reel.

So, can it be fixed?

Ive been fishing for over 40 years and don't think I've ever had this happen.

I don't have another reel of this capacity to take the line off, so it's going to probably wipe out the line.. Which I know isn't an issue if I was to buy something else.

Anyone had this before?

Is it likely to just happen again?

Also, the reel has 2 very thin nylon washes In the box. Im not sure if they are spares or meant to change the way line distributes on the reel.

Any help appreciated.

Ta

Robin

Novice937

If you take the spool off, you should see the same little washers as in the box on the spindle, take one off, respool the line. (I've had a beer so that might be wrong way round and add one)
I had two Daiwa reels, same model, had to add 1 on one reel and 2 on the other

Last edited:

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
spool-line-lay-fishing-nation.png

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Never have this problem on any shimano reel even the base ones lay a treat, but one thing i always do, is tighten the drag up, whether front or rear, to ensure the spool is able to retract fully during the turns. It might help on other reels, but i wouldn't know, reels and shimano is like beans and Heinz in my book.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I think the whole angling population has just saved that sketch, thanks Mick! (y)

Whether anybody will ever look at it again, is another matter. :unsure::D

robinta

Just an update. Took off 1 washer from the reel spindle, reloaded line and its pretty much parallel now. See if that stops the line issue on my next trip.

Might just have saved having to buy a new reel.

Thanks all.