Correct way to empty a keepnet

SUFC

What's the correct way to empty a keepnet? I noticed there are 2 internal handles on my keepnet and I'm pretty sure they're used for emptying the keepnet, but I'm not sure how to use them. Can someone explain or post a link to a video of it? Thanks

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you say empty it, do you mean just to tip back or to weigh the catch?

If just tipping back the best way is to pull the keepnet up out of the water until you can get hold of the bottom ring, then lower the top ring into the water and let the fish just swim out.

If for weighing in, pull the top rings out of the water until you can grab bottom rings then lift up with the fish in the end.
The ring with the handles on should pass through the top rings, do that then grab the handle and the base of the net like a bucket and tip into the weigh sling or tub.
Don't roll the fish down the net under any circumstances

SUFC

If just tipping back the best way is to pull the keepnet up out of the water until you can get hold of the bottom ring, then lower the top ring into the water and let the fish just swim out.

If for weighing in, pull the top rings out of the water until you can grab bottom rings then lift up with the fish in the end.
The ring with the handles on should pass through the top rings, do that then grab the handle and the base of the net like a bucket and tip into the weigh sling or tub.
Sorry, I should've qualified my question. I meant emptying the keepnet to return the fish to the canal. So no need to use the handles? What are those handles for?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The handles are to aid tipping the fish into weigh slings or tubs, mainly for match use.

To tip back into the canal, hold the top ring and pull the rings up until you can safely grab the bottom rings, then lower the top ring in the water and just let the fish swim out, lifting the bottom rings to encourage them in the right direction

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@rudd put the keepnet on the ground so the opening is pointing up stand in the keepnet and lift the opening up you will have a full keepnet.;)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
From my blog on starting match fishing.

When your turn comes there is a technique in getting the fish into the weigh sling that separates the experienced match angler from the newbie. Most modern keepnets have handles inside on the second from bottom ring. They are there for a purpose. Also the bottom three rings should be slightly smaller than the rest. It is worth practising this technique at home with a few pounds of potatoes. Reach inside the net and grasp one handle, with a slight twist bring the half of the second to last ring through the top ring so one side is now outside the net. grasp the bulk of the opposite side of the keepnet to the one you have pulled through with your left hand and the bottom ring on the same side with your right (opposite way for lefties). You should now be able to tip the fish out into the weigh sling like pouring water out of a bucket

nejohn

Site Supporter
I don't match fish so emptying fish in a weigh sling does not come into the equation with me, I use a very similar technique to the one Dave has described ie top ring in the water and pull the net in until I can grip the bottom ring then slowly gather all of the rings together moving the fish to the mouth of the net and letting them swim away, once the net is empty I lift the bottom ring into the air with the top ring fully underwater this makes sure there are no small fish caught in the folds of the net.

SUFC

I don't match fish so emptying fish in a weigh sling does not come into the equation with me, I use a very similar technique to the one Dave has described ie top ring in the water and pull the net in until I can grip the bottom ring then slowly gather all of the rings together moving the fish to the mouth of the net and letting them swim away, once the net is empty I lift the bottom ring into the air with the top ring fully underwater this makes sure there are no small fish caught in the folds of the net.
Same here - I don't match fish either and I very much doubt I ever will. Your emptying method seems straightforward.
I'm surprised I couldn't find any YouTube videos on how to empty a keepnet. So many fishing videos out there and so little on fish welfare and good practice.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I am about to head out to attempt to fill a 3m Nu Fish defenda..........no doubt as usual I will fail miserably......but the fun is in the trying

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Same here - I don't match fish either and I very much doubt I ever will. Your emptying method seems straightforward.
I'm surprised I couldn't find any YouTube videos on how to empty a keepnet. So many fishing videos out there and so little on fish welfare and good practice.

This was mentioned to me on Saturday and I already have plans to shoot a short video for posting to YouTube.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

How would you know ? ???

£600. ??