Correct technique 5m telescopic whip

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use a 3m whip to fish a spot for small fish that l can swing to hand but if bigger fish appear then I fish my margin pole to the exact same spot. Same with 4m and 5m whips .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher I use both flick tip is great for river small to medium fish, if think it's going to be a medium to large fish to hand day the elastic or Stillwater where the carp might get involved. If you get the right whip a system whip might come with both.
True one of each might be the answer. Something to think about for sure.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Being as old as I am and a Londoner to boot I have had years of experience using what is now termed a telescopic whip but we used to call a pole.

Before carbon we had fibreglass poles that had a maximum usable length of seven metres. In the main these poles were telescopic. We used to fish these with a short line, not to hand. The technique for shipping in was to collapse the sections into the butt section until the fish could be swung to hand or netted. Shipping out was the reverse, the sections just pulled from the butt.

This of course meant that on canal towpaths we never had to ship back across the path of walkers and cyclists.

Using this method also means that your 3m rig can be cut down so you have minimal line between tip and float.

davej1981

Whip fishing in my mind is about speed fishing for small fish. The rig is always fished to hand with the rig being a little shorted than the length of the whip so when a fish is swung in it comes straight to the hand

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I guess the question might be ' why a whip' ? - Dependent on your budget you can pick up a budget margin / pole that breaks down for less than £50 and some come with elastic / a spare top. - Some bargains on facebook market place too.
Think someone said making your own pole rigs is a good skill for the future and long term cheaper than buying ready made ( though they are loads better than they used to be)
I'd go 2nd hand pole - Once you start elasticating a whip its moving away from its purpose really
Keep asking questions though - No such thing as a daft one - and we all need to keep angling alive and get the kids involved.
Some good eggs on this site ......
Best Wishes