Correct technique 5m telescopic whip

spc123

Please forgive what may be a numpty beginner question

New to fishing and with my young lad have moved through a 3m whip to 4 metre to current 5m Telescopic whip

when using 3m pole it was easy whip to hand. 4 metre was the same although with a 3m rig often involved standing up. With 5m I have no ideA.

If I lift it straight up I can just about reach out with my landing net. Have tried unscrewing the pole to shorten but just ended up with a loose line and lost fish

should I just feed it back like a big pole. Doesn’t seem right as no end but to take off

so far only caught small bream and roach so just about managed. Just a bit worried about how should efficiently and safely land something bigger

sorry if this seems daft and thanks

Ps daft question 2. The shop bought rigs all seem to be 3 metres but fishing at the weekend in 4 foot I seemed to have an awful lot of slack which at times made striking ineffective. What length rig would you recommend and if any shorter wouldn’t that worsen the issue above. Cheers

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Rig length should be the same length as the whip you use. So for a 5m whip you need a 5m rig so fish are always swung into hand or easily netted. You will have a length of line between the float and the tip but you need to flick the rig out in front of you so there's no slack. A 5m whip will fish about 8m out out if 5 foot deep. If you want to fish closer in use a shorter whip.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m with Zerkalo - fish it to hand, rig about 12”-18” shorter than whip. Remember not to let too much slack get between tip and float if fishing shallow so you still have an easy strike.

I‘ve seen people attempting to un-telescope the whip back into it‘s butt section whilst bringing a fish in but it usually ends up in bumped fish and tears.

Karl

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That's an important one to remember or you'll end up with the fish in your lap lol. Not fished a whip in probably 8-9 years but keep toying with the idea of trying on again though.
DO IT - super cheap and super fun, mine only cost a tenner plus some fresh elastic

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Torn between getting an elasticated Leeda or a daiwa flick tip but I'd have to get one of those connector things for the latter as can't be doing with that whipping the line on lark each time I'm too cack handed for that lol

spc123

Thanks for the advice. I have been dropping the rig straight down rather then flicking forward so will definitely try that next time out

re a 5m rig I have not seen much longer than 3m. Is it a case of typing them yourself

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah it's a good skill to have tying them yourself although if not possible then I think there are forum members or other sources who will tie you good rigs to the spec you need. Not sure who though sorry.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I personally set all my whips so when holding the extreme end of the whip l can hold the hook with my finger and thumb of the hand holding the whip with no slack and also no bend in the tip. 3m through to 8m .

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The idea of whip fishing is speed, so the shorter the whip you can get away with the better. If necessary, you then follow the fish out with a longer whip. I don’t own an elasticated whip, I would only use it for small fish, fishing to hand.

buygoodtackle

" re a 5m rig I have not seen much longer than 3m. Is it a case of typing them yourself "

Tying yourself is ideal but if you have ready made rigs at 3m just tie on extra line and use them.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Drennan do A S range for the river and stillwater come in a few lengths up to I think 6m the floats might be a bit heavy so choose the lightest ones if on stillwater once you have a couple and used them it's worth buying some rig line some spilt shot and copy them, after you have got to grips with that you might feel confident in experimenting with some different floats.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Torn between getting an elasticated Leeda or a daiwa flick tip but I'd have to get one of those connector things for the latter as can't be doing with that whipping the line on lark each time I'm too cack handed for that lol
Elasticated !!!

The number of times I’ve hit something chunky and the elastic has been my saviour in getting it onto the bank up to and including an 8lb common.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I personally set all my whips so when holding the extreme end of the whip l can hold the hook with my finger and thumb of the hand holding the whip with no slack and also no bend in the tip. 3m through to 8m .
near on the same, though my grip has 6 inches of handle below, stretching under my wrist

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Elasticated !!!

The number of times I’ve hit something chunky and the elastic has been my saviour in getting it onto the bank up to and including an 8lb common.
That’s kind of what I’m thinking. I’d only use them on naturals so no risk of carp it’s more that I have an annoying knack of hooking pike lol

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That’s kind of what I’m thinking. I’d only use them on naturals so no risk of carp it’s more that I have an annoying knack of hooking pike lol
You don’t really want a tidy bream snaffling your hook bait destined for roach without elastic - I don’t like seeing carbon flick tips bend that much :LOL:

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher I use both flick tip is great for river small to medium fish, if think it's going to be a medium to large fish to hand day the elastic or Stillwater where the carp might get involved. If you get the right whip a system whip might come with both.