Cornwall coarse fishing

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
I contacted the owner of Woonsmith this week and got that information. I bet he's fed up hearing from us fishermen.

Probably thinking about missed earnings, cos he’s getting nowt from his yurts for the foreseeable.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I live in Pool, so I'm fairly central for a lot of waters down here. I'm going to be trying BK Fisheries and Amalwhidden Farm this year. Next year I'm going to try Bussow.

Blanks

Site Supporter
i might give Bussow a try next week - it’s about 30mins drive from me with no walk, Argal is 5mins away with a 30 minute hike to the pegs so I’d be in the water sooner in St Ives.

Are there favoured pegs at Bussow with 8ft of depth a couple of rods out?
There are some big carp in Bussow and a good head of silver fish also. It does slope off a bit but you don't need to fish far out, about 9m for Bream but fishing in close feeding a few casters every put in pulls lots of fish in and is good fun.
The bank opposite where you go in has some good pegs for silvers and bream to 4lb, there are some bigger roach in there but better fished for in the winter.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Hi there, I’ve often given some thought to trying Argal for bream and other silvers on a waggler - if indeed float fishing is doable, given depths. Can’t really ask those I see fishing there as I don’t speak carp :) Which pegs would you suggest and which baits have worked for you. Cheers in advance
You will find it worth chatting to some of the carp lads , because the better ones do know a lot about the depths and contours of the lake and where the snags are. They also know where they get pestered by bream. Also you can floatfish much deeper if you use the slider technique.

kernowbob

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I used to live in Cornwall and fished many places down there, especially around the Bodmin area.

Lakeview used to be a cracking place before the water park took over the place. I would often catch a 100lb of roach and bream from the first lake quite easily, that lake was packed with good silvers. The small woody lake around the back was overgrown, but I think a few years ago they moved all the fish from the main lake to the wood lake around the back and put in wooden platforms and a trail. It was quite nice, they even put a stocking of small tench in there from Oakside. But I'm talking a few years ago, no idea what has happened to the place since.

There are some good spots to fish around Bodmin. If you fancy a drive, Plymouth angling club had some decent waters and a cracking lake on stately home ground in southeast Cornwall.

Simpson Valley near Tavistock is a fantastic run fishery, about 60 minutes from Bodmin.

I found some great places with google maps and asking in the tackle shops, places that aren't very well advertised for obvious reasons.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Lakeview has some Pike but lure fishing is banned because of the blasted Carp. The last time that I was there - in late 2017 - a new lake was being dug. No doubt it'll be filled with pond pigs by now.

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
I gave Bussow a try out earlier on just after lockdown had lifted, fished the corner swim on the entrance side and kept busy all day on the float just a couple of rod lengths out, nothing of note but every fish caught was in pristine condition. Pads were alive with spawning carp, the midges and that white fluff that blows off the trees we’re a pita.
Had a couple of trips to Argal, fished the Stumps swim and surprisingly only around 6ft deep at around 40yrds out, bream to around 3lb, roach to a 1lb and definitely a water that you need to pile in the bait to attract the bigger fish. I had a huge pike go after a small roach I was reeling in, three goes at it and missed the lot.
I’ve moved back up north now so it will be the Yorkshire rivers for a while.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I gave Bussow a try out earlier on just after lockdown had lifted, fished the corner swim on the entrance side and kept busy all day on the float just a couple of rod lengths out, nothing of note but every fish caught was in pristine condition. Pads were alive with spawning carp, the midges and that white fluff that blows off the trees we’re a pita.
Had a couple of trips to Argal, fished the Stumps swim and surprisingly only around 6ft deep at around 40yrds out, bream to around 3lb, roach to a 1lb and definitely a water that you need to pile in the bait to attract the bigger fish. I had a huge pike go after a small roach I was reeling in, three goes at it and missed the lot.
I’ve moved back up north now so it will be the Yorkshire rivers for a while.
Sounds like you had a few good days on the reservoirs. Can I ask what methods and baits did you use on Bussow and Argal please?

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
Bussow red maggots or small red worms / brandlings (from the compost heap) worked best on the hook, about a 1/2 kilo of groundbait, half a mashed up loaf and 1/2 tin of hemp.
Argal red maggots best on hook by far, loose feeding maggots, kilo of ground bait mixed with a tin of hemp.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Bussow red maggots or small red worms / brandlings (from the compost heap) worked best on the hook, about a 1/2 kilo of groundbait, half a mashed up loaf and 1/2 tin of hemp.
Argal red maggots best on hook by far, loose feeding maggots, kilo of ground bait mixed with a tin of hemp.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to trying both of these waters in the future.