Cornwall coarse fishing

Chitterlings & Hodge

Got back into coarse fishing myself about eighteen months ago from fly and sea fishing and in that time I've fished both BK Fishery and Amalwhidden quite regularly. Had great sport at both and cracking locations can thoroughly recommend them.

I appreciate that they are a bit of a trek from Bodmin though.

Cheers

Ian

James.carter

I’ve recently moved to the Lizard.
I can really recommend ‘Marazion Angling Club’. They have a lovely traditional lake in St Erth, Near Hayle. Go onto Facebook.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I was a member of Marazion when I lived in Cornwall. That, "lovely traditional lake" has now been ruined by the match fraternity having it over-stuffed with Carp. The Tench and Crucians in there just don't get a look in.
The only fairly Carp free water is Oakside. There are some decent sized Carp in there that people spend a week-end catching but they'll seldom bother you whilst you get stuck into the Bream and Tench. The place is massively muddy after rain although when I left Cornwall in 2017 the owner was talking about improving the pathways by laying scrapings.

slappy2

Just come back from Newquay looked round gwinear looked pretty nice and think do weekly matches as well ?

John Step

Site Supporter
I don t know if South West Water still produce a factsheet. They listed all their reservoir fisheries in it. Worth investigating?

Tom W

I don t know if South West Water still produce a factsheet. They listed all their reservoir fisheries in it. Worth investigating?

Just had a look at their site and there's loads more info about Upper Tamar which is one that someone else mentioned and looks like another stunning water to try ?

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
Argal Reservoir, Falmouth. Excellent bream fishing, traditional methods.
Hi there, I’ve often given some thought to trying Argal for bream and other silvers on a waggler - if indeed float fishing is doable, given depths. Can’t really ask those I see fishing there as I don’t speak carp :) Which pegs would you suggest and which baits have worked for you. Cheers in advance

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
Woonsmith fishery at nancledra also a bit out out of the way but worth the trek

HI, is Woonsmith still a day ticket water or fishery in general? Seems that Woonsmith Farm have put up yurt to rent and a facility is a private lake for natural swimming. It looks a lovely place too. Cheers in advance.

Nicky Dodds

HI, is Woonsmith still a day ticket water or fishery in general? Seems that Woonsmith Farm have put up yurt to rent and a facility is a private lake for natural swimming. It looks a lovely place too. Cheers in advance.
It's probably over 10 years since I fished it tbh. It was controlled by st Ives ac I believe and they did a terrific amount of work to get it fish able for example walkways bridges and gantrys. I wouldn't have thought swimming a good idea as it seemed to drop right off under your feet like it was an old slate quarry or something. Thinking about it 15 years since I fished in Cornwall so maybe things have changed.

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
It's probably over 10 years since I fished it tbh. It was controlled by st Ives ac I believe and they did a terrific amount of work to get it fish able for example walkways bridges and gantrys. I wouldn't have thought swimming a good idea as it seemed to drop right off under your feet like it was an old slate quarry or something. Thinking about it 15 years since I fished in Cornwall so maybe things have changed.

Definitely off limits for fishing now, contacted the owner who now rents out his yurts and lets guests do a bit of natural skinny dipping. I didn’t ask if he sells hemp.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I believe that Argal is too deep to fished by float for bream on the deck, and that feeder fishing is the way to go. It is a flooded valley reservoir, so is deep and in places quite snaggy. I don't know which swims are best for bream, as I have never fished it. When I had a walk around it, I did see a lot of fish at the surface near the dam so floatfishing for silvers up in the water should work in the Summer.
Funnily enough, I contacted the owner of Woonsmith this week and got that information. I bet he's fed up hearing from us fishermen.

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
I was hoping it might be shallower toward the nature reserve end or in one of those side bays. I’ve read lake bed is full of old walls and stumps and don’t much fancy spending day walking backwards.

Wonder if the demise of St Ives AC was due to the loss of it’s water? The owner of the lagoon has done well, all the donkey work done.

Fishfinderuk

Mawgan porth,not porth reservoir. Its stuffed with carp.last time I fished there(6yrs ago)its was fishing short.a guy called stuart lister empty the place using just a top kit.

Blanks

Site Supporter
If your down the bottom end West Cornwall Amylwhiddon is a good commercial, the owner Neil is a nice bloke and they have matches.
If you prefer bream roach and more coarse fishing Bussow Reservoir just outside St Ives is the place to go, 50lb bags of silver fish great fishig, you can drive round and park behind your peg.

Nicky Dodds

If your down the bottom end West Cornwall Amylwhiddon is a good commercial, the owner Neil is a nice bloke and they have matches.
If you prefer bream roach and more coarse fishing Bussow Reservoir just outside St Ives is the place to go, 50lb bags of silver fish great fishig, you can drive round and park behind your peg.
Some decent carp in bussow as well according to my brother who lives 2 minutes away

MountainAsh

Site Supporter
If your down the bottom end West Cornwall Amylwhiddon is a good commercial, the owner Neil is a 5 nice bloke and they have matches.

i might give Bussow a try next week - it’s about 30mins drive from me with no walk, Argal is 5mins away with a 30 minute hike to the pegs so I’d be in the water sooner in St Ives.

Are there favoured pegs at Bussow with 8ft of depth a couple of rods out?