Cornwall coarse fishing

Tom W

Hi there,

I've recently returned to fishing. I used to do all my fishing in East Anglia, but now live in Cornwall. There seems (for obvious reasons) to be a huge focus on sea fishing around here now, but I am looking for good quality places to go coarse fishing.

Can anyone recommend any particular venues? I'm based near Bodmin, but happy to travel around the county for a good venue. I fish for mixed coarse/match style, so not looking for any carp heavy places.

Cheers.

(Edit - now realise this has been shared in the incorrect place, apologies).

Last edited:

stephenk

Site Supporter
Stayed at Lakeview just outside bodmin a few years ago - fishing was ok there - mainly carp (pole & tip).

crackatoa

Site Supporter
There's a nice little Match scene around the Hayle area, 3 or 4 different venues and a great set of lads fishing them.

Tom W

Whitacres and porth reservoir are two places off the top of my head
Been to both of these before, think Whiteacres may be worth a revisit. Didn't have the best of days there but think that may have been due to skill, not stock!

Tom W

Stayed at Lakeview just outside bodmin a few years ago - fishing was ok there - mainly carp (pole & tip).
I was excited about this place as just down the road, but I think they may have stopped the day ticket fishing, can't seem to find anything other than cottage stats there now.

Tom W

There's a nice little Match scene around the Hayle area, 3 or 4 different venues and a great set of lads fishing them.
Ooh that's interesting. I've never competed before, but might be something I move into once I've practiced a bit more. Do you happen to know what entry fees are like?

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Ooh that's interesting. I've never competed before, but might be something I move into once I've practiced a bit more. Do you happen to know what entry fees are like?
£15 - £20 all in. Peg fees and pools.

Both great for pleasure and match. Carp or Silvers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Upper tamar lake has a Cornwall bank I believe, fished very well for roach and skimmers in matches from what I’ve seen. Bude canal supposed to be good as well.

Pickard1

I went to look at that Lakeview place a couple of years ago, you could definitely still fish it then. Seemed like a nice venue, match sized Carp plus roach, bream etc. Well maintained lakes.

There are also some camping and caravan sites with lakes. Trevella park near Newquay has one, it might be worth asking if you can fish this on a day ticket.

You could also try sea fishing! You never know what you will catch and you might even catch your dinner!

You can fish the river camel, Fowey and fal estuaries using just a carp rod and would have a good chance of bass or bream. It's not that different to barbel fishing on a big River like the Trent!

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Bake Lakes down near Saltash is a cracking venue with a choice of ponds and some lovely fish to be caught. Lovely place to try different methods of catching ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Definitely don't discount the sea fishing either, you are in one of the top few places in the country for it without doubt.

Tom W

I went to look at that Lakeview place a couple of years ago, you could definitely still fish it then. Seemed like a nice venue, match sized Carp plus roach, bream etc. Well maintained lakes.

There are also some camping and caravan sites with lakes. Trevella park near Newquay has one, it might be worth asking if you can fish this on a day ticket.

You could also try sea fishing! You never know what you will catch and you might even catch your dinner!

You can fish the river camel, Fowey and fal estuaries using just a carp rod and would have a good chance of bass or bream. It's not that different to barbel fishing on a big River like the Trent!
Ah OK, I'll go and take a look at Lakeview then, as it's only just down the road. If it's still going I'll give it a go.

I have been sea fishing a few times in Falmouth and on the north coast. Enjoyed it, its easily accessible, but it just can't beat coarse fishing in my eyes anyway.

PP123

Also Oakside near Newquay is a very good mixed fishery.

The Alps near St Merry too, though you’ll need an annual membership.