CORMORANTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
anybody see BBC1 program "Countryfile" about cormorants?

the following is taken from there fact sheet

-------------------------------------------------------------
The conflict between cormorants and Britain's anglers has been growing steadily as the population of cormorants over-wintering on inland waters grows.

There are now estimated to be 13,000 cormorants living off lakes and rivers, many of which have been stocked with fish for anglers. Anglers claim cormorants have a devastating effect on their fisheries and would like to see them culled, but because the birds are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act, shooting is not an option.

Faced with the problem of how to protect their fish, fisheries managers have started experimenting with 'refuges' which are large wire netting cages that sit on the river or lake bed and act as hiding places for fish.

Early indications are that these are working. Following initial research, government fish scientists at CEFAS, the Centre for Environment Fisheries and Aquaculture Science, are planning new trials to measure exactly how effective the refuges are.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

it showed the cages being put in at a fishery (do'nt know where)
and then a floating platform placed on top to create an island so anglers knew where they were,
apart from petitions this is the first positive thing i've seen,

whats your thoughts, or do you know where these refuge cages are in operation...

teepee.

angler-mark

Hi Tony,

Don't the make it sound simple. How did they come up with only 13,000 and who counted them? I reckon there's more than that on the embankment at Nottingham. [V][V][V]

As for the wire cages, I'm not sure they are a good idea if any fish that are hooked and get snagged up in them, then it could damage the fish and also result in lots of lost tackle for the anglers.

It is my opinion that the only way to regulate what cormorants are eating is to have a cull every now and then to keep the numbers down, otherwise they will keep increasing their numbers and apart from the impact on angling as a hobby, it will mean a lot of commercial fisheries such as Trout Farms will end up bankrupt. [:(][:(][:(]

Tight Lines

Mark

Simon R

Site Supporter
Not exactly going to improve the fishing for us poor anglers is it?

If the fish are hiding in cages all day, we still won't be able to catch em!

Presumably they'll come out and feed at night, when the comorants are at roost.

I'm in total agreement with you Mark - we need a cull
- just how many birds does there need to be before they get removed from the 'protected' list?

Tight Lines

Simon

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Mark,/Simon, totally agree with the cull, but lets face it after ten years or more of signing petitions etc, its not going to happen![:(]

these refuge cages are a somewhere for the fish to go when the cormorants are feeding, usually dawn & dusk, as soon as there is any activity from anglers etc, the cormorants disappear, so then the fish can feed as normal,
as regards loosing fish on the cages, its the lesser of two evils its better they be some fish there to fish for, and we loose fish on natural features, (tree roots, lilly's, etc.) whats the difference cos its man made,

Mark i think you're right with the counting its probably 4/5 times 13,000, but i do'nt know how they get that figure.

I just feel its something to try and its got to be better than nothing.

teepee.

angler-mark

Tony,

I've no idea what the answer is apart from culling, these refuge cages will still not stop the cormorants devastating fish stocks. Anywhere the fish can go the cormorants will find a way to get at them and we end up back to square one again.

Do these so called experts on fish behavior really expect me, you or anyone else to believe that the fish will "KNOW" when to go into these "SAFE" cages and then "KNOW" when to come out again when it's safe? I don't think so! I've read lots of idea's from so called experts before and the only conclusion in the end is that the only way to reduce the damage caused by cormorants is to reduce the numbers by culling and the sooner they start it the better. IMHO.

The same thing is happening in the sea's, if the big fleets of ships that keep catching hundreds of tons of fish don't reduce their catches, there won't be any left soon, and I can't see them trying to fit these refuge cages in all the sea's and ocean's around the world, it's just not practical and would cost millions. I'm afraid it's up to the goverment to wake up and do something possitive before it's too late but I'm not holding my breath until it happens [:(][:(][:(]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.