Cormorants

Status
Not open for further replies.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
What is the general feeling about cormorants in here? are they to blame for the drop in silver fish numbers in venues up and down the country[V]? What is the best thing to do if you have them on a fishery?[:(]

Tight lines [:D]

watty

Get a licence and then blast them out of the sky. It works i've seen it done.

Steve

I don't remember seeing any in the Bedfordshire area, Herons seem to be on the increase around here and they are certainly better at fishing than I am.

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

watty

Its all clear to me now, cheers.

everyready

on my local river last year the birds keeped to one section of the river where all the fish were. so all i did was go down early and keeped pushing them off the river. after about one hour over 3 days they moved off and thay stayed off all the rest of the year

BOB

YEAH,Iagree with watty blast them out of the water as long as your local fishery has a licence to shoot our feathered friends.[}:)]

pisces

martin.

Account Locked
hi
ive heard rumours that in most cases they need the body of the shot bird before they can succsesfully procecute for shooting them.
also ive heard that there is the danger of them actualy flying into the lead shot when you fire a gun in there direction to scare them away.
We dont very often get the same one on our water more than a couple of times i dont know why

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Simon R

Site Supporter
Strangely enough Martin the same thing happens up here

I know a few local fishery owners who've tried to 'scare them away' with the use of shotguns and I think they must be really effective cos they never seem to come back [;)]

Tight Lines

Simon

BOB

The only way to stop cormorants eating your fish stocks without shooting them is stock bigger fish,which have to be over the 2 pound mark in weight[8D][;)]

Bob

norm

not true mate

hemlington pond was searched by divers to look for a missing child and there was loads of dead carp lieing on the bottom with stab wounds (some double figures

reveal13

get a license and blast the bl**dy things out of the air make sure you use a num 3 shot as no 4 bounces of the things,

and yes i believe that cormorants are to blame for decimation of a ot of fish stocks and agreee that they actually do stab larger fish, this is the same with herons as a friend donw the road has over 120 koi around 10 to 25lb in weight (i know cause ive caught some) and the herons come down and stab these fish cause they cant eat them or get them out of the water.

shame you cant cull these blighters too, mind you id rather we had herons instead of cormorants

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.