Cooking Breakfasts

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Okay, serious question time, how do you poach an egg without a poacher, ie straight in a pan, and how do you make Eggs Benedict?

I'm off away with some my missus and five other couples for our annual pilgrimage to a big house somewhere in Scotland and I'm breakfast chef for the week :eek:

Now I can cook a mean fry up, full English, anything on toast, but the two above I haven't a clue and you can bet your I'll be asked for them :D

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Poaching an egg with no poacher is easy, it's just frying an egg in water.

Classic eggs benedict...

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Poached eggs a la muskie: cut two pieces of cling film about 6" square and lightly coat the middle 3" square with cooking oil. place the film over two cups and gently press down to make hollows. Break an egg into each hollow and gather the film around it into a 'sack'. Twist the tops of the sacks and place in boiling water until done. Then lift out, snip off the twisted tops with scissors and turn out poached eggs.

Its actually a lot less faff than it sounds.

Additional: I've tried the 'drop it in swirling water' method and all I got was an eggy mess.

dezzatheblue

As above then keep water on a low heat, not boiling, just under a simmer for 5 minutes,
For Benedict you want a toasted muffin topped with a slice of good ham (or you can use bacon),
Cover this with hollandaise sauce,
2 egg yolks
A dash of white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
A block of butter melted (let solids settle to bottom)
In a bowl place yolks and vinegar place over a pan of boiling water,
Whisk together then start to very slowly add melted butter all the time whisking, if you add too much butter at a time it will split,
Keep adding until consistency you want,
Take off heat and season to taste, you can add a squeeze of lemon if you wish.
Toast and butter muffin, place ham on top, followed by egg and a good smothering of hollandaise,
Enjoy.

As long as eggs are fresh then they will stay in shape, old eggs spread into the water,
If you can get eggs from a farm.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
You can prepare them in advance by cooking them whichever way you choose and then place them in a bowl of ice water to cool them and stop them cooking. Then when needed put them in a bowl of hot (not boiling) water for a minute or so til hot.
I tend to cook mine a la Muskie but it’s fiddly if you have a lot to do.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I cook poached eggs in the microwave - one place I worked we had a toaster and microwave so poached eggs on toast was a regular breakfast tradition.

Take a small bowl*
Add a tiny amount of water (5mm-10mm is plenty)
Crack in the egg(s) - I rarely do more than 2 at a time
Cook on full power for 60 seconds (ish)
Cook for further 10 seconds blasts until you're happy with the result - typically the water turns cloudy when ready.
Serve
(Don't leave the eggs in the water for longer than needed or else they will go hard).

* experience is that some bowls (or even mugs) are better than others for poached eggs in the microwave which can effect the cooking time. Experimenting with different bowls is recommended.

Gwillim

Being a bit of a foodie I would recommend doing them in the Microwave mate, you get a far more consistent result and a lot less faff

Poached Eggs
Step 1
Fill microwave-safe mug or small bowl with 1/3 cup water and a splash of vinegar, if you’d like. The vinegar is optional, but it will help the egg form a bit better.
Step 2 Gently crack an egg into the mug or bowl, making sure it’s covered in water. Be sure to prick the egg yolk with a fork or toothpick to prevent any explosions.
Step 3 Cover your mug or bowl with a small microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for one minute. The egg white should be set but the yolk still runny. If the egg white is still runny, keep microwaving in 10 second increments until you’re satisfied with the level of doneness. It's worth noting that, unlike poaching eggs on the stove top, the microwave tends to cook the yolk faster than the white. If you like your white a little softer, you might want to take your egg out earlier.
Step 4 Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a plate. Add a dash of salt and pepper (or my personal fave, Sriracha) to taste. Enjoy on toast, on a salad, or deliciously on its own.

Hollandaise Sauce
Ingredients

125g butter
2 egg yolks
½ tsp white wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar
lemon juice
cayenne pepper

Method
Step 1
Melt 125g butter in a saucepan and skim any white solids from the surface. Keep the butter warm.
Step 2 Put 2 egg yolks, ½ tsp white wine or tarragon vinegar, a pinch of salt and a splash of ice-cold water in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan.
Step 3 Whisk for a few mins, then put the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk continuously until pale and thick, about 3-5 mins.
Step 4 Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter, bit by bit until it’s all incorporated and you have a creamy hollandaise. (If it gets too thick, add a splash of water.)
Step 5 Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little cayenne pepper. Keep warm until needed.
Step 6 To make eggs Benedict, toast 2 muffin halves, top each half with a slice of warmed ham and a poached egg, and spoon over a generous helping of hollandaise.

Hope that helps mate (y)

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
What wisey said, bring the water to the boil then turn down heat stir the water rapidly drop egg into the water and dont let it boil.

That's what I do I have poached eggs for brekky most mornings.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Pan of hot water Stir it rapidly then crack the egg in.
My misses does exactly that but, puts some vinegar in the water. I said .... Why the vinegar ? She said .... Don't know, it's how my mum does it. Don't know what the vinegar does.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
One method for poaching eggs - get the water boiling then stir it causing a whirlpool effect. Break the egg in and it will naturally gather in the centre of the spinning water.

I hate poached eggs.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
For poached eggs, whatever the method, the most important ingredient is very fresh eggs.
Anything more than about a week old, the white will spread across the pan, no matter how much you whisk the water or add vinegar.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Dave, I have read your words plenty, met you once and am shocked by your question. When its your turn, tell them its a fry up, 2 of everything and with black pudding.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Dave if your breakfast chef for the week I’ll have a V Large full English please Cheers :LOL:(y)