converting a barrow to powered barrow.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I have been very lucky and have got a golf trolley, a Pro Rider with a charger and 2, 18 hole batteries. I mentioned it to the wifes uncle that I was in the market for one and as he plays golf and hopefully may get to know about one. He phoned me back later and offered me his for £40-00 as he finds it hard to walk round and may use a golf club buggy. So off I went yesterday lunch time and picked it up. I put the batteries on charge overnight, this morning both are full charged. Hopefully they will hold charge.

After having good look at it, decided that it will be relatively easy to convert to fit the barrow with only a bit of fabrication to make a new mounting similar to how the original wheel mounting is done.
I have to cut 2 pieces off the trolley where the original frame is.
The next part to work at is how it will be done is the control for the speed and stop& go.
I will post pics as and when I make any progress and have actually done any work on it.

TonyA

Site Supporter
While on the subject of barrows, does anyone have any ideas about converting a Leeda Specimen Barrow to two wheels?

JayBee

Site Supporter
Just a quick update on where I have got to with the project.
I have now received the NGT 2 wheel barrow and used it twice. After checking the tyre pressures and putting more air in them, I loaded up the float tackle and tried it on the drive, much easier for me than the single wheel. I then put the carp tackle on instead and did the same, much easier to push but on both occasions, as you would expect not very manouverable.
I have now tried it with both sets of tackle over grass at the bankside and it's a vast improvement with stabilty for me.

I had a look at a mobility scooter to use as a donner and found out how fast they move, a bit quick for me so it looks like I will have to have a look at an electric golf trolley. I think that they are meant to be behind you so wouldn't be as fast as a mobility scooter.

Most that I have seen for sale seem to be either without a battery or charger or both. I assume that they are all 12 volt so may even be able to use either a very small car battery or even a motor cycle battery to power it.
The trolley that looks to be the best to use to convert the barrow looks to be one called a power caddy, thats just from photos that I've seen.

It may be a week or few till I can a trolley and get on with the job, so I will try and keep you informed as soon as possible incase any one else wants to do a similar job and my mistakes can be avoided.
Here is the post about my powered barrow conversion.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
The original NGT barrow with the 2 wheels fitted. from phone 239.jpg

from phone 239.jpg from phone 287.jpg
The original NGT barrow and the donner golf trolley.

from phone 334.jpg from phone 336.jpg from phone 337.jpg
The control handle from the golf trolley, mounted onto the barrow handle with the hand grips removed. The arrow shows where I cut the control down to a more pleasing and usable length. :) :)

from phone 340.jpg from phone 341.jpg from phone 373.jpg
The bottom half of the handle control cut down and mounted to the barrow handle, and then the new end cap made and hot melt glued onto the top half of the control and then self tapping screws into the lower half.

The last pic is of the new motor, axle and battery carrier assembley mounting bracket.
The carrier assembley is attached to the motor pod &wiring clipped up using( if poss removable fixings) and away you go.
I extended the wiring and put a plug on to it so that it can be split down and stowed into the car boot nice and easily in 4 parts, motor and bracket with wiring, barrow handle with the control attached and control wiring. These are seperated using a 6 pin waterproof plug. And then the barrow bed.
The wheels are removed aswell for transporting in the car.

I hope that this post has worked, it's taken me ages to do. LOL

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
It looks like you are doing a really good job there Phillip. I’ve just started the conversion of my MAP X4 trolley. I’ll do a post with all the photos when I get to the end with it. I’m using my old Powawalker as the donor for the electrics.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Thank you Markywizz, I enjoy doing things like this it keeps my mind active.
I'm making a small steam engine aswell, not from a kit I hasten to add, I'm making it all from scratch on my lathe. It will only get run on compressed air as I don't have the means to make a boiler.
Oh it's a beam engine by the way as used in factories and mills.
I'm a retired mechanical engineer, so have the kit to doit.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
My trolley won’t be as posh as yours. It just so happens that I’ve been able to cut the frame down on the Powawalker so I’ve got a module I can weld underneath where the rear wheels were. It won’t fold down as small as others I’ve seen but it just lives in the back of my Transit fully assembled anyway. It was very fortuitous that the module as it stands is pretty much exactly the right height to just weld on.

I can go to town with the electronics. Thats my forte. I’m just going to fit the pot and knob off the Powawalker as is for now but ultimately I’d like to fit a twist grip off an electric scooter. They work in a different way though so I’ll have to build a magic box of electronic trickery.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Brilliant Marky keep us informed to progress.
When mine is stipped down to transport mode it is only about 75 m/m high so plenty of height in the car boot to get seat box on top of it if I want to take it, I do though prefer to use a good chair for the comfort. I'm getting to old to be uncomfortable any more just for the sake of catching. LOL ;) ;)

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I changed the battery on the barrow yeterday putting on the untried one and it was flat from fully charged within 50 yds ish so I bit the bullet and have ordered a new one from ebay like the one that Markywizz recently bought, cost just over £40-00 with free delivery. I'm busy on monday so can't get to the battery supplier fairly local to me, so ebay may save my bacon.
I will just have to make a small box to contain the battery in as it is dimensionally smaller than the existing ones I have. No great shakes there tho'.
I'm out fishing on weds and a fair walk from the car park to the pegs so if the new battery has come by end of play tues I will be using that one.