converting a barrow to powered barrow.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I'm toying with the idea of getting a new barrow, a 2 wheeled one as I'm starting to struggle a bit with my knee letting me down a bit, and my current barrow only having 1 wheel, over it goes, when my knee gives way ( I'd got berserk if I broke my flask and no coffee, only joking there I use a stainless one) ;) ;)
I'm also thinking of doing a conversion on it to a powered one using a mobility scooter motor etc, possibly having to machine a few bits to adapt wheels etc, fabricate brackets etc,

Has any one had any experience of the NGT 2 wheeled barrow as I don't want to pay a massive amount for a barrow just incase it doesn't work how I would like it to,and they look to be the right sort of thing for me to do the conversion with.
I can get one for £96.00 off the net with free delivery, and a second hand scooter as a donor for about the same price.

If I do it I will try to keep you updated on progress with success or failures as the stages progress, but back to my original question has any one got or used an NGT 2 wheeled barrow.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Just a quick update on where I have got to with the project.
I have now received the NGT 2 wheel barrow and used it twice. After checking the tyre pressures and putting more air in them, I loaded up the float tackle and tried it on the drive, much easier for me than the single wheel. I then put the carp tackle on instead and did the same, much easier to push but on both occasions, as you would expect not very manouverable.
I have now tried it with both sets of tackle over grass at the bankside and it's a vast improvement with stabilty for me.

I had a look at a mobility scooter to use as a donner and found out how fast they move, a bit quick for me so it looks like I will have to have a look at an electric golf trolley. I think that they are meant to be behind you so wouldn't be as fast as a mobility scooter.

Most that I have seen for sale seem to be either without a battery or charger or both. I assume that they are all 12 volt so may even be able to use either a very small car battery or even a motor cycle battery to power it.
The trolley that looks to be the best to use to convert the barrow looks to be one called a power caddy, thats just from photos that I've seen.

It may be a week or few till I can a trolley and get on with the job, so I will try and keep you informed as soon as possible incase any one else wants to do a similar job and my mistakes can be avoided.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I think the powercaddy type trolleys use a 12v 22Ah battery. It seems to be fairly standard. I just bought one for my Powawalker. If you look on eBay the same size varies from 17Ah to 22Ah. Mine was about £40.

F273F837-66D5-40F0-8A3A-D4AE726B1F48.jpeg
BF0562CA-F5DD-48AF-AAD1-6747017395AC.jpeg

davej1981

Have a look at a power pack for a wheelchair, that maybe what you want, they are expensive thought. They come with drive wheel motor and hand throttle with adjustable speed. As you said a mobility scooter one would probably be too powerful although the small scooters are only capable of 4mph which maybe suitable. For the ultimate (but would be silly money) get a sccoter motor, controller and wiring loom etc, these can be modified like a car ecu and the speed, acceleration and torque can all be tweaked with a laptop. When i was a mobility engineer we used to have great fun ramping up the acceleration and they got to the top speed of 8mph in a flash

davej1981

Just a quick update on where I have got to with the project.
I have now received the NGT 2 wheel barrow and used it twice. After checking the tyre pressures and putting more air in them, I loaded up the float tackle and tried it on the drive, much easier for me than the single wheel. I then put the carp tackle on instead and did the same, much easier to push but on both occasions, as you would expect not very manouverable.
I have now tried it with both sets of tackle over grass at the bankside and it's a vast improvement with stabilty for me.

I had a look at a mobility scooter to use as a donner and found out how fast they move, a bit quick for me so it looks like I will have to have a look at an electric golf trolley. I think that they are meant to be behind you so wouldn't be as fast as a mobility scooter.

Most that I have seen for sale seem to be either without a battery or charger or both. I assume that they are all 12 volt so may even be able to use either a very small car battery or even a motor cycle battery to power it.
The trolley that looks to be the best to use to convert the barrow looks to be one called a power caddy, thats just from photos that I've seen.

It may be a week or few till I can a trolley and get on with the job, so I will try and keep you informed as soon as possible incase any one else wants to do a similar job and my mistakes can be avoided.
Youd be better off using a battery for mobility scooters etc, they are slow discharge batteries whereas the car ones discharge differently, the mobility power packs uswd to use a 17-22ah battery iirc

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The battery I posted the picture of is a mobility one. You want something like that. Most people who do trolley conversions use a golf cart as the starting point as they are cheap second hand and are easy to adapt. They have a speed controller built in as well. I’ll be interested to see how you get on as I’m thinking of converting my MAP X4 trolley.

chrisdobb

I have converted a Hillybilly golf trolley and a Preston space shuttle to make a powered trolley.
I got the golf trolley off ebay for around £15, the fishing trolley I already had, bought a new 12v battery for around £45.
The conversion was quite simple and did not involve any welding, the trolley still strips down very easily for getting into car with my other tackle.
I have been using it now for over three years with no problems at all.
It is speed adjustable and has enabled me to continue fishing with various health conditions which would have otherwise have stopped me going.
If you need more info let me know.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Thanks for the input guys, it is much appreciated and I will take it all in.

A friend of mine has also suggested using the battery from emergency lighting, I will look into this at some point perhaps. Getting a golf trolley is the next bit on the agenda, the battery I can get from a battery supplier called Multi Cell, I have in the past used them and was impressed.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Next door neighbour has a hillbilly - had a look and I know it would be relatively simple to drop the motorised section complete and bolt onto the NGT in place of the non powered wheels.

Ebay has several up for £45-£60

The battery to go with is a gel cell like Markywhizz has put up a pic of, not a car battery.

Found this on the net though and I love the idea :
86F41FA4-CD3D-4BDA-B79D-26CBE019E3E9.jpeg

BarryS

Gone fishing
Forget fishing..........could we not create a new racing series for electric-powered fishing trolleys ?

davej1981

Thanks for the input guys, it is much appreciated and I will take it all in.

A friend of mine has also suggested using the battery from emergency lighting, I will look into this at some point perhaps. Getting a golf trolley is the next bit on the agenda, the battery I can get from a battery supplier called Multi Cell, I have in the past used them and was impressed.
The battery from emergency lighting would be a 7ah seal lead acid ( i was also an emergency lighting engineer) and like the mobility batteries they are slow discharge. Not sure whether they would be enough to drive a fully loaded trolley, i would look at a 12ah up

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
The ideal thing would be a leisure battery but too heavy and big for it to be of any real use for this purpose.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Could recoup costs by running a transport service from car to peg for all the other anglers (y)

Redtailhawk 3710

Site Supporter
hi
Yes I did it all myself the only part which is preston shuttle now is the handle. The last mod I did on it was to make the base rectangular instead of being narrow at one end like on the preston shuttle and chequer plate the base the next mod I am toying with is to try swivel wheels on the front but undecided at the moment if it is worth it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trevor Price @911 is selling a PowaWalker trolley to raise funds for the Nightingale Hospice.....

118719693_10158057044997182_7863457807166130424_o.jpg

The current bid is £60 £100

PAB

Site Supporter
our local East European will carry all your gear for a five both ways cheap as chips.