Continental Groundbaits? Old Fashioned?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just wondering if there's still a use for what we call Continental Groundbaits, crumb and biscuit based mixes, or are they now old fashioned and on the majority of venues been replaced with fishmeal groundbait?

Seems to me they still have a use on natural venues, particularly River and Canal mixes, to work as a carrier, and maybe in Ireland, but on most waters that see pellets you are far better off with one of the fishmeal varieties?

Seems to me in my local tackle shop, the continental bags, Sensas, VDE etc sit there for months before being sold but the Fishmeal ones like Sonubaits sell rapidly?

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I still use them, especially on natural venues that get hammered with fish meal ground baits and pellets. I think the bigger fish get wary of the same old, same old and are not as cautious feeding over continental ground bait and a worm / particle hook bait.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I believe the tide has changed and folks are opting back to ye old traditional bread crumb based groundbaits as more are opting back to natural hook baits.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I'm still trying to get a grip with modern groundbaits, let alone revert to ye old fashioned groundbaits. LÖL

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Groundbait aisle in the tackle shop is one of my favourite aisles so I'm always experimenting. I've got a few bags of this at the moment.

Haven't worked out if it's fishmeal or crumb base but I'm not entirely sold on it yet?

'Explosive' normally sells me onto a groundbait, I like the Explosive Fishmeal by Sonubaits.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The quality ranges of continental groundbaits were formulated to do a specific job which they do well in most cases were most of the uk ranges are method mixes because that is what sells now and there is little use of groundbait as a balling in feed as pellets do much the same job although most of the groundbaits aimed at commercials are ground pellets plus fishmeals and fillers and very often the quality of the fishmeal determines how effective the groundbaits are.
Quality ingredients cost a little more so it is obvious that cheaper groundbaits contain more filler and less of the quality stuff.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Having had a long lay off I skipped the transition to fishmeal and just dropped into the continentals again when I restarted - still working well for me.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve been doing OK on Sensas black lake recently. Perfect sweet groundbait for bream. I’ve also mixed it with swim stim silver fish in the hope it will attract more roach.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Currently using a lot of Boland All Round Black which seems to be good for almost anything.

Five kilo bag is eight quid - about a third of the price of the equivalent Sensas groundbait.

Independent tank-test

Simon