Consumer unit?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I am wiring my shed this weekend and following advice from your good selves I have decided to fit a small consumer unit. I am only putting in a switch to power a couple of lights and then a ring of 6 double sockets. Will this consumer unit fit the bill?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yes but change the 32mcb to a 20amp to be on the safe side unless you are planning on using machines in there

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Yes but change the 32mcb to a 20amp to be on the safe side unless you are planning on using machines in there
I will be using small bench machines, mitre saw, router, small grindstone etc. I don't know what a 32mcb actually is, how would I change it to a 20amp? I think I had also better increase the fire part of my home insurance.

Somersetlad

If your planing to connect that to your existing consumer unit, rather than just plugging into a convenient socket, it needs to be done by a qualified electrician, as it needs to conform to part P of the building regulations and be signed off properly.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
If your planing to connect that to your existing consumer unit, rather than just plugging into a convenient socket, it needs to be done by a qualified electrician, as it needs to conform to part P of the building regulations and be signed off properly.
I will be powering the shed through a 2.5mm extension lead, do I still need to conform to the regs?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How far is the shed from the socket you are planning on plugging into?

Also, if going down that route you would be better off with the extension plug going into a Plug in RCD and then just plugging in whatever at the shed side into the extension cable as needed

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
How far is the shed from the socket you are planning on plugging into?

Also, if going down that route you would be better off with the extension plug going into a Plug in RCD and then just plugging in whatever at the shed side into the extension cable as needed
It is about 30 - 35 metres from the nearest power point in the house.

lliopp

Site Supporter
If it’s a non permanent supply, have a look at camping power cables.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I posted about the power supply a couple of weeks ago and I have purchased a 50m 2.5mm extension which, I have been assured will have negligible voltage drop.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
to install the system correctly and inline with current iee regulations you will have to install a supply to the shed in a substantial size cable.
probably steel wire armoured cable. very expensive, the earthing regulations on remote buildings from the house are extremely stringent.

IanG1

Site Supporter
If you are plugging it in the whole lot is backed by a 13a fuse in the plug top so not much in the way of capacity.
The board is over kill without a proper supply via a new breaker in your house board and an SWA cable of something like 6mm supplying your shed.
If it was me I'd bit the bullet and get it done properly.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice fella's, I will let you know how it pans out(y)