Condensing your tackle...

R0B

I found my Matrix box with footplate removed and one of the storage sections removed is light enough for a reasonable walk - the problem is how badly the thing sits when the straps aren't through the lugs on the side.

The next mission is to fish the margin pole on a swim which is a 20 minute walk, on road and off road which makes the trolley impossible as you have to jump up a verge if cars are coming on the road bit and the footpaths are pretty rough stuff for wheels.

The plan, such as it is, is to take the box stripped down to just the seat section and the shallow tray (for pole rigs and terminal tackle), small roller, bait tray and everything else in the net carryall, along with a very telescopic net handle, and just carry the pole and two top kits in its bag.

The pole is only 8M but it would mean I could fish a flat float or normal float with good control in an area where I know the fish like to sit. And in a fight be able to steer them away from the forest at my feet (the chub always head for this) with the longer pole rather than the rod and line. I was hoping that I could use my feeder arm and U rest to support the pole occasionally as without the footplate there's no bump bar.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I found my Matrix box with footplate removed and one of the storage sections removed is light enough for a reasonable walk - the problem is how badly the thing sits when the straps aren't through the lugs on the side.

The next mission is to fish the margin pole on a swim which is a 20 minute walk, on road and off road which makes the trolley impossible as you have to jump up a verge if cars are coming on the road bit and the footpaths are pretty rough stuff for wheels.

The plan, such as it is, is to take the box stripped down to just the seat section and the shallow tray (for pole rigs and terminal tackle), small roller, bait tray and everything else in the net carryall, along with a very telescopic net handle, and just carry the pole and two top kits in its bag.

The pole is only 8M but it would mean I could fish a flat float or normal float with good control in an area where I know the fish like to sit. And in a fight be able to steer them away from the forest at my feet (the chub always head for this) with the longer pole rather than the rod and line. I was hoping that I could use my feeder arm and U rest to support the pole occasionally as without the footplate there's no bump bar.
I've done that with the short pole....feeder arm & u rest. It was fine.

R0B

I've done that with the short pole....feeder arm & u rest. It was fine.
Cool. It's just nice to be able to drop it down for a second to prep some bait or whatever - I fish big baits and strong tackle so the bites are not always as frequent as they would be if I was tiddler snatching.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
What I haven't figured out yet is how to organise bait and bits when traveling light. Mine ends up all over the ground as I'm used to seatbox drawers and trays.
Small carp bits table... tucks in my chair when I'm done... or if I use the accessory chair I use a small side tray

stephenk

Site Supporter

Absolute 36 the same - remove footplate and it's a light box.footplate fits in side pocket of my preston carryall too, making short walks manageable.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I don't know why people do it. You spend more time sorting and setting up gear than you do fishing.
That’s funny seeing as it takes me 30 mins to set my kit up for a match or pleasure session, and I fish for 5/6 hours 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I thought you carp boys took 6 hours to get ready before fishing....set up tents, set up cooker, fry some bacon, open a beer and then oh bugger forgot to get rods out .....
Then they set up them silly alarms and go to sleep 😂😂😂

CarpCatcher86

That’s funny seeing as it takes me 30 mins to set my kit up for a match or pleasure session, and I fish for 5/6 hours 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
It takes me minutes to set up and start fishing for a 8 10 or 12 hour pleasure session. The most time consuming part of my fishing session is either soaking pellets or mixing/riddling groundbait.

Bob Astill

Site Supporter
I don't know why people do it. You spend more time sorting and setting up gear than you do fishing.
from putting my box down it takes me 10 minutes max that's mega side tray pole roost with top kits feeder and waggler rod landing net the bit that takes longest to get right is the spray bar for pole and rollers :)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It takes me minutes to set up and start fishing for a 8 10 or 12 hour pleasure session. The most time consuming part of my fishing session is either soaking pellets or mixing/riddling groundbait.
Yeah probably just Chuck a feeder out and sit with your feet up ! Fair enough if that’s what you want to do , some of us like matchfishing, which means we need to set more tackle up 💁‍♂️Each to their own

CarpCatcher86

Yeah probably just Chuck a feeder out and sit with your feet up ! Fair enough if that’s what you want to do , some of us like matchfishing, which means we need to set more tackle up 💁‍♂️Each to their own
I certainly don't just chuck a feeder out and sit with my feet up. Is that what you think everyone who doesn't fish matches does?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I certainly don't just chuck a feeder out and sit with my feet up. Is that what you think everyone who doesn't fish matches does?
No I don’t but if it only takes you a few minutes to set up , I can’t see what else you do ....anyway I don’t care what you do, you obviously care more about what others do though judging by your previous comment 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

R0B

Absolute 36 the same - remove footplate and it's a light box.footplate fits in side pocket of my preston carryall too, making short walks manageable.
I thought about doing this, may see what the carryall feels like with everything in it :LOL: the swim is quite sloped and muddy so I'd like the footplate if it's not going to kill me getting it there.

Funny how my best sessions this year have been the traveling light variety, completely underprepared and with only one or two types of bait - but the fish were obliging.

CarpCatcher86

No I don’t but if it only takes you a few minutes to set up , I can’t see what else you do ....anyway I don’t care what you do, you obviously care more about what others do though judging by your previous comment 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
You can't see what else I do? I sit by a water catching fish. What else would I do once I have set up the gear I need.
Do you happen to bring a load of lure/spinning gear to a match, and have it set up and ready to go on the bank just in case you need it?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
You can't see what else I do? I sit by a water catching fish. What else would I do once I have set up the gear I need.
Do you happen to bring a load of lure/spinning gear to a match, and have it set up and ready to go on the bank just in case you need it?
I’m not getting involved mate 😉