Condensing your tackle...

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Can’t believe nobody bid for this. Or did they. 🧐. I got a eBay reminder after it was posted on here the other week.
C5871D51-DFF6-4815-A9C8-FB5DB5DF3FE6.jpg
Could have done with one of those when we fished the Manchester canal a few years back. 🤣🤣. Anglers were shipping back their poles and kids as young as 13 / 14 were making off with them. Unbelievable. 🙄

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I've tried cutting down and experimenting a lot over the past 5 years or so. I even have a couple of what I call my retro setups, with various Boss boxes involved in a attempt to always carry as little as possible (for me, that's a seatbox, rod bag and net bag - the three-item, carry able dream). Bottom line is, it works, but it's a mega, mega hassle if you fish different types of venue. Every night-before is a mission as you try to think about what to take and what not - switching bits between boxes, deciding which accessories to take etc - all in a pointless attempt to stick to my own self-inflicted rule of being ultra efficient. I've settled now on what I consider a minimal-pro setup, with all of my main match kit, just refined to the essentials that I can take almost anywhere. My feeder gear is separate, as are my pole rollers etc. If I have to take 3 rod bags, so be it. It's an extra 10 minutes of faff getting the car unloaded, but for the time and wasted thought it saves, well worth it. With pole and feeder (and waggler) gear effectively split I just take what I need but don't need to spend so much time. Even if I throw it all in the car and then just see where I draw, there's no harm done. I just don't take it all to the bank.
I have my old boss box system that I use for the river, as it’s much easier to drag across fields, throw over gates and fences. Carryall strapped onto the top of it, and a roller or two if needed. Then carry my rod hold-all over my shoulder. I use my Rive seat box for commercials, along with 2 ton of bags, side trays and attachments.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mick Just been told i have the same problem , did the op go ok Bill
Had it done last September Bill. I won’t lie, it hurt like stink. Saying that, they found quite a large lipoma as well so, they went ahead and dug that out at the same time so, I guess it hurt a bit more than a straight forward hernia op. Things still haven’t settled down so, today I went to a private surgeon to ask his opinion. He reckons it will settle down soon and that what’s hurting now is excess serous fluid that needs to be absorbed by the body. I opted for the mesh with open surgery but, there is an option of laparoscopic surgery should you wish. I opted for open as it seemed more of a permanent job and tends not to come back in the future. Hernias tend not to get better by themselves so, I’m afraid to say that surgery is pretty much our only option. Good luck pal. 👍

old bill

Had it done last September Bill. I won’t lie, it hurt like stink. Saying that, they found quite a large lipoma as well so, they went ahead and dug that out at the same time so, I guess it hurt a bit more than a straight forward hernia op. Things still haven’t settled down so, today I went to a private surgeon to ask his opinion. He reckons it will settle down soon and that what’s hurting now is excess serous fluid that needs to be absorbed by the body. I opted for the mesh with open surgery but, there is an option of laparoscopic surgery should you wish. I opted for open as it seemed more of a permanent job and tends not to come back in the future. Hernias tend not to get better by themselves so, I’m afraid to say that surgery is pretty much our only option. Good luck pal. 👍
Thanks for the feedback Mick seems i may have to opt for the keyhole surgery not looking forward to it , but like you say there are lots worse off , stay safe Bill

Midwater Brand Manager

Site Supporter
Having gone fishing today and loaded my trolley for the first time since the first lockdown when I did a four wheel conversion on it, it struck me just how much gear I actually take - and this is without keepnets and rods :eek:

Trolley
Seat box plus stacker units
Side tray, too big really but you never know
Bait bag with a mix of baits and groundbaits
Roller bag packed with allsorts plus two rollers
sandwiches and flask
Pole holdall
Brolly (just in case)
Landing net on it's own

Despite looking at it, short of strip out everything I know I won't use but might need so take it just in case, what can be done to condense tackle to a reasonable, if not sensible, amount? - and that was just for a pleasure fishing session ;)
Dave,

We have landing net stink bags that can house both brolly and landing net handle (so I am told) . The Midwater Six Footer (actually 6ft 2 inch) will hold most brollies and landing net handles and nets in one convenient piece of luggage. This may save trips to the car-park lol. If it does not suit your need,you absolutely know you can get something made to the size you want from us. Kindest regards Paul Midwater Luggage

turnpike

Site Supporter
I really could not go back to fishing matches... when you got to your peg and started setting up till the whistle for the start, I was always still plumbing up my pole lines when the organiser blew for the start... now I put a chair down and set up 1 rod, be it carp rod, float rod, or feeder... and I'm usually fishing in minutes... and the joy of that is... I can take my time setting up and enjoy even that part of the day... there is summat therapeutic in setting up a rod, that I missed when I match fished... even de-tackling at the end of my day is a pleasure... its all about enjoyment for me now... and If I'm not catching... its the work of a minute to upsticks and move...
I did this the other day. Fished at something like 15m with waggler and method. Caught nicely. This was on a different peg from where I'd spent the first few hours until the wind started blowing into me. Whole day improved because I could get up and move. For me the solution is just to take all some days, take as little as possible others. You end up needing more than one of things though so you don't spend an hour getting ready to leave.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to organise bait and bits when traveling light. Mine ends up all over the ground as I'm used to seatbox drawers and trays.

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
What I haven't figured out yet is how to organise bait and bits when traveling light. Mine ends up all over the ground as I'm used to seatbox drawers and trays.
Probably best using one of the old Drennan bait waiters, on a bankstick.