Condensing your tackle...

Alantherose

Site Supporter
We've booked a static in Cornwall later this year (fingers crossed). Nice site, three lakes, me, the missus and Winston.

Looking at what went in the pickup today I either need to get a canopy for the back of it, or leave the missus, Winston, and their cases behind :D

You cold to the whole “National Lampoons” bit and out said lady on the roof under a tarpaulin 😜😜😜😜

piscatorial

I'm trying to get my tackle reduced too.
I'd like just one bag big enough for 2 rollers, accessories, bait, clothing, flask and food.
I'm sure I can do this as bag only needs to be around 850mm long.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Having a Maver Signature Barrow-Box and working around that ergonomically has made my life so much easier, This immediately eliminates the need for a standalone barrow. I keep all my box attachments on my box 24/7 to make setting up on the bank as quick as possible, While again not having to lug around excess bags to carry attachments. This also includes the Side Tray + Bucket hoop. The hoop I'll extend out in the mornings to throw my bucket of groundbait, maggots, flask ect in. That way I don't need to lug a bucket around but instead cart it. I have a perfectly sized Frenzee match Bag that'll sit perfectly atop of the box during transportation, Which'll also sit atop of my net bag. It won't budge or fall of the box even on uneven terrain as it's blocked by the 4 box legs. I did attempt to change this out for a matching Maver bag, But it just wasn't stable enough during transport in the end ( Sorry Gaz :'( ) I've also perfectly compartmented the Frenzee bag with an inner bait bag which contains the obvious. The other side contains small bits such as Reels, Hooklenth cases and anything 'Clean' while the outer compartments carry small bits such as dips, dyes, pellet pumps ect. Then I have my Maver Holdall, Which also doubles as a sleeping bag incase on the off chance I happen to get stranded on the bank, This never comes to fruition but on the off chance I do I have it. This also literally carries everything I own Rod, Pole, Umbrella wise, and much more. Including my Preston B&B and Jacket when not in use.

I'm not worried about lugging around tons of excess gear as long as I can make it work as hassle free as possible. I'm aware I don't have as much as a lot of Anglers on this forum, But I have a fair bit and I'm pretty happy with how it all slots together and how hassle and stress free it is. I can carry a whoooole lot of stuff with very little hassle in the mornings, or cleaning / putting it all away after getting it all in after a 10-14h session on the bank which is a massive +.

I also toyed with bagging / potting up pellets and glugs into smaller portions.. just seemed like a waste of time though and continued to bring full bags / pots. Lol.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I don’t feel the need to condense my gear, a lot of matches you can park near/behind peg, or a short/medium walk with it on a barrow! Sometimes it’s hard to push, just have to grit my teeth, I’d never cut down for the sake of it

Whisker

Site Supporter
Occasionally I’ll go for a few hours on a Summers afternoon taking only what I’ll use:

Box, sidetray, margin pole and/or feeder/pellet wag rod, landing net, carryall with bait and necessary attachments in. Set up in 10mins, packed up in 5 😬

For a match, I need 5 mins on reaching my peg just to get my breath back... 😂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I do fully get the lugging everything thing for matches as then if you’re taking things seriously it makes sense to have everything. I just think it’s over kill to take everything pleasure fishing when you know you’ll never use half of it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I really could not go back to fishing matches... when you got to your peg and started setting up till the whistle for the start, I was always still plumbing up my pole lines when the organiser blew for the start... now I put a chair down and set up 1 rod, be it carp rod, float rod, or feeder... and I'm usually fishing in minutes... and the joy of that is... I can take my time setting up and enjoy even that part of the day... there is summat therapeutic in setting up a rod, that I missed when I match fished... even de-tackling at the end of my day is a pleasure... its all about enjoyment for me now... and If I'm not catching... its the work of a minute to upsticks and move...

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
On the river it’s a case of balancing what you are going to need to what you can actually get to your peg. There are very few sections where you can park anywhere near the pegs and some of the riverside paths are not the best to say the least. A four wheel shuttle won’t even get off the starting grid and a barrow is the best option.

dave brittain 1

Dave when I fish the Wye Champs and Charity matches providing I get tickets, tackle will be as follows:

Ready rod holdal with 2x feeder rods and 2 x float rods
Old lightweight box with 2 sliding draws
Box of feeders, box of floats
Carryall that takes net and bait, and bait waiter
Landing net handle, bank sticks, rod rests
Fox trolley platform
A gallon or so of bait

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I'm trying to get my tackle reduced too.
I'd like just one bag big enough for 2 rollers, accessories, bait, clothing, flask and food.
I'm sure I can do this as bag only needs to be around 850mm long.

I’ve got one of the Mosella deluxe holdalls and it takes my rollers and accessories 🙂

62tucker

Site Supporter
Normally just fish places where I am near my car so gears not a problem but love nowt better than fishing for wild brown trout. 7ft spinning rod. 1 spare 3bb float. Tub of split shot. 1 pack of size 16 hooks. Forceps, scissors and tub of worms. Amazing times just walking a stream. Few casts in each pool. Catching a wild trout is a bonus.
Also carry a folding saw and a pair of secateurs to do any branch clearance that’s needed. For future trips 😉

Last edited: