Condensing your tackle...

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Funny innit. The more we have the more we think we need. I carried all my stuff and even then I was overboard. Poles are the killer, rollers, top kits (whatever they are)?, all the pre rigged floats and shizz... I did carry too much today, not to say I was knackerd carrying it but I just didn't need it all.
I used one rod all day, one reel all day. A pint of maggots, some groundbait and the usual that we all carry shot, floats and hooks. Brolly, Landing net and handle.
What did I take with me? .... 4 rods, 4 reels, 2 landing nets, several tins of sweetcorn and meat, pellets of varying sizes, a menagerie of ledgering stuff. All excess baggage...
I used in total, half a bag of groundbait, a quarter of a pint of maggots, 3 float stops, one float, one hook and 4 No 4 shot, one rod rest a bum on a box, a rod rest and landing net.
Why do we do this to ourselves :ROFLMAO:

Reelmaker

Good evening I take hardly enough,small shoulder bag with a small front drag Shimano 1000,Sonic 9ft pellet Waggler, seat ,rod rest, in the bag float box hooks shot bait and ground bait. Licence landing net.Reelmaker

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I very rarely take the minimum as that's asking for trouble through the law of sod! I like to have stuff for plans A, B and C just don't want to carry, pay for or spend the time setting ups plans D, E, F etc as well 😅

I'd be dangerous if I earned more though. I'm always thinking of stuff that would be handy to have that I can technically afford but really couldn't justify for the use it would get so I'm fairly disciplined at just buying stuff I'll definitely use regularly. If I had more disposable income I'd be thinking sod it and buying all sorts of just in case that I'd probably hardly use due to not really needing it and not wanting to do all the extra carrying and setting up of it 😂
Yes i was mainly talking of holidays on a barge or at a caravan years ago but i have done it last year ,one rod ,my seatbox and my bait , practicing pellet waggler and floats and my catapult firing, i was testing visiwags at short and medium range and seeing if i could get good results using one catapult , as i said if i want to get better at one particular thing i have just taken that , it does help to get more proficient and can be enjoyable. Then were back to normality lisds of gear and ten minutes to recover when i get to my peg 😆

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We've booked a static in Cornwall later this year (fingers crossed). Nice site, three lakes, me, the missus and Winston.

Looking at what went in the pickup today I either need to get a canopy for the back of it, or leave the missus, Winston, and their cases behind :D

robert d

Site Supporter
We've booked a static in Cornwall later this year (fingers crossed). Nice site, three lakes, me, the missus and Winston.

Looking at what went in the pickup today I either need to get a canopy for the back of it, or leave the missus, Winston, and their cases behind :D
Tie em to the roof , you need a sandwich maker and a guard for your tackle. 😃

The Landlord

Site Supporter

Don't you dare leave Winston!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
If your background is match fishing regardless of what level you do it..............................YOU ARE DOOMED :devil-flip:
For the simple reason that if you don't take it, you will just beat yourself up for not taking it and thus convince yourself that you would have done immeasurably better if you had taken it with you. 🤣

It's the match anglers version of Catch 22. ;)

robert d

Site Supporter
If your background is match fishing regardless of what level you do it..............................YOU ARE DOOMED :devil-flip:
For the simple reason that if you don't take it, you will just beat yourself up for not taking it and thus convince yourself that you would have done immeasurably better if you had taken it with you. 🤣

To right ,been there got more than one t shirt making that mistake

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I generally take everything, but then I hardly ever have more than a 5 minute walk to my peg on the venues I fish.

I guess until I get to the stage where I can’t fit anymore in the car or on the transporter, the pros outweigh the cons.

I rarely use everything I take, but I’m of the mindset that I’d rather have it and not need it than the alternative.

Total

Site Supporter

^^ :LOL:.......But you only fish for the last half an hour!:devilish:;):D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

We’ve been to a caravan park on the Dorset stour a few times and in the mid range vans the room that’s presumably converted to an en-suite in the higher end vans is left as a massive walk in wardrobe which is great for all your fishing gear 😍

Just have to remember it’s not an en-suite when you get up to pee in the night 😅

rudd

Site Supporter
Good evening I take hardly enough,small shoulder bag with a small front drag Shimano 1000,Sonic 9ft pellet Waggler, seat ,rod rest, in the bag float box hooks shot bait and ground bait. Licence landing net.Reelmaker
Leave the rod rest at home and use a stick like @Arry does.
EDIT: op's sorry, thats his rod 😯😉😁

Alantherose

Site Supporter
In the beginning of my pole fishing life, I sat on one of the York book waters and a bloke came along who looked the least like an angler I’ve yet seen fish: ripped jeans, long hair, cap on back to front... misjudgement #1. He had one rod that looked like it was out of a Christmas cracker, a craft box with some bits and bobs, no seat at all, and he leaned his rod on one of the metal uprights of the peg. He was using porridge oats, strawberry Angel Delight and luncheon meant balled around a hook with two to three swan shots. He must have caught six or seven beautiful common carp in 90mins and I realised that evening that a. You don’t have to have all the gear and b. I’d probably been suckered by marketing and the angling media.

Now, I love my poles, box and accoutrements, even though they’re a proper pain in the butt at times, but it regularly feels like too much gear.

(*With appropriate endless caveats for the match guys who take absolutely everything with them).